How many active turners remain in UKWorkshop ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another new ‘turner’ here. Started late last year, mainly pens for the family. For my other half at christmas i managed to get hold of two wood blanks from an old windmill. All going well until i got to the woodworm! Decided to make a feature of it rather than fill.

IMG_1617.jpg

Hello.
I started last year due to much reduced mobility and watching peeps turning on YouTube, loving it more now having just bought a coronet herald (upgrade from Avon antique) which makes hollowing out much less fraught. Atticus.

Attachments

• 20201215_172121.jpg
    20201215_172121.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 13
Yep ! Still turning , here's a few latest examples .

A iridescent decorated plater and goblet ( Viking shape ) and a lovely pearwood vase shaped box

Attachments

• IMG_2916.JPG
    IMG_2916.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2917.JPG
    IMG_2917.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2918.JPG
    IMG_2918.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 12
Hi People if you could add your name if you are still active and turning items , Just curious , I will start with my name

Blister
Well, have been turning since I began in 1954 in England On a Wolf Cub kit, making Egg Cups. , In my 3rd marriage, was living in Ubonratchathani Thailand 2017-11, then back to UK, till 2019, then packed up, to return to Phibun Mangsahan- and now having a Workshop built, but had a nasty fall at 90 years of age, so recovery is slower than I hoped for- with Covid Quarantine getting in the way== waiting to unpack all Tools- but Cement rendering, elec installation, and benches then to create== it is slow progress,= I HAVE DRIVE, so who knows./

Jon.
Started turning last year, still loving it. Began mainly with acrylics, pens and tree ornaments (a lot of those so far :cautious:). Bowl count is up to 4 at the moment:
No.1 was horrible.
No.2 was good, until I went through the bottom of it :cry:
No.3 was a segmented one, which turned out ok. I'll need to photograph that one.
No.4 turned out pretty well (imo). Kept it very simple and shallow.

Last edited:
Jon.
Started turning last year, still loving it. Began mainly with acrylics, pens and tree ornaments (a lot of those so far :cautious:). Bowl count is up to 4 at the moment:
No.1 was horrible.
No.2 was good, until I went through the bottom of it :cry:
No.3 was a segmented one, which turned out ok. I'll need to photograph that one.
No.4 turned out pretty well (imo). Kept it very simple and shallow.

Please be aware that not everything you turn has to be a masterpiece , When starting out just use them as practice pieces , using cheap timber , When more confident then move up to treasured turnings

Hope you enjoy your journey

Well, have been turning since I began in 1954 in England On a Wolf Cub kit, making Egg Cups. , In my 3rd marriage, was living in Ubonratchathani Thailand 2017-11, then back to UK, till 2019, then packed up, to return to Phibun Mangsahan- and now having a Workshop built, but had a nasty fall at 90 years of age, so recovery is slower than I hoped for- with Covid Quarantine getting in the way== waiting to unpack all Tools- but Cement rendering, elec installation, and benches then to create== it is slow progress,= I HAVE DRIVE, so who knows./

Blimey well done you, 90 not out and enjoying a new workshop build , Love it :cool:

Yes still trying - my holly-grail is barley twist candle sticks in mid oak, like the ones you can buy cheaply in many second hand shops !

Hi,

Blimey well done you, 90 not out and enjoying a new workshop build , Love it :cool:

Top marks from me too dontheturner; there won't be any holding you once you're let loose in your new workshop.

You sure brought back memories mention the Wolf Cub; my late grandmother used to run a catalogue where customers could buy things and pay so much a week; I must have been about 15 in 1959 and my first purchase was the Wolf Cub drill; it was a beauty and very well made.

Good luck with your workshop build.

Kind regards, Colin.

when my local "men in sheds" opens again I am going to give it a go. Only qualified to join when 60 last year but been shut since. Just wondering why I can hide a lathe from my wife??

Bought an ML8 towards end last summer, made some things, mostly i'm 'happy' with them, but only one I am proud of, so far. No way am I putting pics of my poor efforts on here to be compared with the fabulous output of others. I am learning as I go, though a big project in the garage means that I can't even get close to the lathe at present, so turning is on hold for a bit.

A question.. I understand the ML8 to be a low end, though well made tool. Once I gain a suitable level of competency and experience, should I be looking to move to something better? Or will the ML8 suffice, anyone trod the same path feature me?

Latest posts

Back