How many active turners remain in UKWorkshop ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My turning started making chisel handles for restored chisels on a small lathe, I then started turning pens, bought a second lathe to turn lamps. Most of my turnings end up as presents to friends and family and this year lots of them asked me to turn pens as gifts.
It kept me busy during lockdown and earned some money to put towards equipment.
Two lathes are a luxury when space is at a premium so in the not too distant future I will have to sell the smaller one.

I turned a few small bits when I was restoring about 30/40 year ago, but 6 years ago was let down by a local turner on some small bits so got a cheap ebay lathe and made then and ended up with the bug so now got a Jet 1642 vs and turn stuff just for the pleasure of it.
Working on a 18''sq. x 6'' thick Sycamore blank with resin fulled cracks at the moment.

Hi,

Just turning small items can give lots of personal satisfaction and pleasure not costing much by way of materials and even done on a small lathe.

Kind regards, Colin.

Tool handles_0006.JPG

A pair of tool handles.

Turning._0005.JPG

A close up of a bespoke drawer knob; one of seven turned for my new desk. Sorry about poor picture quality which doesn't do it justice.

Turning._0004.JPG

Four of the knobs in English oak.

Turning._0003.JPG

A completed knob ready for installing. A simple but nice turning job. Wire burned decoration costs nothing and is easy to do but can be very dangerous if wire is wrapped around fingers or hand; handles must be fitted to each end of the wire for safety otherwise a finger or two could be severed.

Turning._0001..JPG

The knobs finished off the desk nicely.

Turning._0002. (2).JPG

A crank I made for a machine restoration with revolving solid oak turned handle. It's surprising how many uses a lathe can be put to and unique things than can easily be made; I also do lots of metal work as here involving welding; keeping busy is to keep young.

I am about three years in with a R.P. DLM 320. It has not skipped a beat apart from the rev counter being a bit flaky.
I have spent a fortune on tools and all the other bits 'n pieces that we need and don't regret a penny.

I try to turn everyday and find it the most absorbing and satisfying thing I can do.
I have turned sixty and never felt better.

Any other turners in south london?

Took it up again last March at the start of lockdown but this time using resin/wood to make useful things no one wants, empty yoghurt pots do come in handy. The wood is a mix of Juniper, burr Elm and Pieris
3.jpg

Retired this year so trying my hand at turning on an old Myford ML8. Still buying tools to make things easier but really enjoying making handles and pork pie dolly’s!!
If anyone could recommend a decent 4 jaw chuck that suits the ML8 as totally lost which to go for.
thanks and happy new year one and all.

I'm not a turner...yet.

Turns out I really need a pie dolly, so it may be first on my list. I had assumed I would be making a rolling pin first, as a proof of concept. Followed by more rolling pins.

Hopefully I will turn my first piece before the end of the month, but there is a lot going on at the moment. Put me down as a maybe?

Back