How is this curved dovetail joint made?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good evening gentlemen,

I have found an interesting picture on this page Our Work — IPSFC

There are half-blind dovetails with curved cuts. I have never seen something like this. How is this made? With a gouge?

Thank you.

1666209936603.png

It's the sort of thing that computers could turn out.....

However, this is an up-market outfit.

Looking closely and carefully at the picture, there seems to be minute variations in some of the curves which suggests hand work to me - in which case I'd venture that straight tails were formed first in the conventional way, curves added to the sides by free-hand trimming, then the curved pins marked individually from each.

Screenshot-2022-10-19 Lovetails Woodworking joints, Woodworking projects, Wood diy.png
There was a good thread about "lovetails" somewhere, and various styles of it,
along with some interesting other joinery possibly/likely here,
but I've failed to find it.
Not that what you've pictured was shown, just posting for interest sake.

Yet to see anything which would rival a nicely proportioned regular tail in my opinion.
Perhaps something like a sunrise joint, but with the structural nature of the wedge,
seemingly non existent, or nowhere near as visually appealing.

Probably a custom router bit that cuts both parts in a jig or on a machine.
Don’t think so - the bit would have to be the shape of the pins, and that would be an absolutely tiny shank in this case. They’re also not really regular enough.

Don’t think so - the bit would have to be the shape of the pins, and that would be an absolutely tiny shank in this case. They’re also not really regular enough.
I was thinking it would work like a leigh jig but you just put a slight curve on the router bit. Maybe you are right, could a woodrat type setup do it maybe.
Just seems an absolute pain in ass to do by hand.

Ollie

They are cut tails first with a fretsaw.

Last edited:
I was thinking it would work like a leigh jig but you just put a slight curve on the router bit. Maybe you are right, could a woodrat type setup do it maybe.

Ollie
Nice little hand-work challenge for a woodworker!

for what it's worth wouldn't it be easier to just cut em straight? looks nice though :)

Ollie
Totally possible, but the Leigh shanks are 8mm for strength. The pins at their narrowest here look about half that.

Good evening gentlemen,

I have found an interesting picture on this page Our Work — IPSFC

There are half-blind dovetails with curved cuts. I have never seen something like this. How is this made? With a gouge?

Thank you.

View attachment 145745
The way to answer your question is to look at the work of Krenov, seeings that this is a school heavily influenced by his work and teachings.

View attachment 145750There was a good thread about "lovetails" somewhere, and various styles of it,
along with some interesting other joinery possibly/likely here,
but I've failed to find it.
Not that what you've pictured was shown, just posting for interest sake.

Yet to see anything which would rival a nicely proportioned regular tail in my opinion.
Perhaps something like a sunrise joint, but with the structural nature of the wedge,
seemingly non existent, or nowhere near as visually appealing.

Surely a simple case of template routing? Brittle grain though.

Back