Oak flooring with dovetails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I am working a project of repairs to an oak floor.
I believe its laid by French tradesmen but I have never seen this before.
Why have the dovetail inserts been fitted to the ends (end grain)?
Anybody seen these before?
Thanks
IMG_3659.jpg

I have not seen it before, but I'm guessing the dovetail keys are end joining the board ends to give some support as there is no joist directly underneath.

Colin

I have not seen it before, but I'm guessing the dovetail keys are end joining the board ends to give some support as there is no joist directly underneath.

Colin
Well that got me looking and no visible nails, I wondered if it was done as a floating floor- unlikely, perhaps it’s just to stop any gaps opening up where they join end to end but presumably it’s nailed through the tongues so that’s unlikely to happen.
Basically anybody’s guess.
Ian

I can't see any point to them, apart from appearance. They wouldn't really help support the ends if between joists, and wouldn't do much to prevent wood movement, not that there'd be any to speak of along the grain.

Never seen butterfly joints in a floor but by the looks of things it was to make the best use of the existing boards. There are a lot of short lengths and it looks like repairs on repairs without ever using new wood. It has a charm of its own showing practical skill on a tight budget. Would not be surprised if a lot of the nails were also recycled. Its a nice look.
Regards
John

Never seen butterfly joints in a floor but by the looks of things it was to make the best use of the existing boards. There are a lot of short lengths and it looks like repairs on repairs without ever using new wood. It has a charm of its own showing practical skill on a tight budget. Would not be surprised if a lot of the nails were also recycled. Its a nice look.
Regards
John
Hi John,
Saving on material yes, the labour time of each dovetail cut by hand? Labour cost in the 20's not
bad I suppose. As you say it has charm.
There is another 40m of corridor to finish!

Thanks

John

Hi Pete,
Yes they do make a good appearance but is this the only floor with dovetails in the uk?

John
Hi. John.
No it's not there is a floor in Scone Palace (Scotland) laid using wide Ebony (yes Ebony) where every board which is end jointed has a dovetailed key in it. I would think today it would be impossible to replace it like for like definataley regarding the width of the boards.
Regards Stan

Perhaps the carpenter was simply in a good mood and had a
bit of time on his hands :unsure:
Or was on the promise of a more challenging project, if he made
a good job of the floor :unsure:
Along the lines of Giotto.
As already said, I can't really think of any technical or structural
advantage to doing it.

Hi. John.
No it's not there is a floor in Scone Palace (Scotland) laid using wide Ebony (yes Ebony) where every board which is end jointed has a dovetailed key in it. I would think today it would be impossible to replace it like for like definataley regarding the width of the boards.
Regards Stan
Those bishops knew how to live it up. Likely sent the plate around a second time to pay for that.

Hi. John.
Regards Stan
Hi Stan,
It must be a very heavy floor too. Have you any photos please?
The floor I have been working on is in Kent.

John

Hi Stan,
It must be a very heavy floor too. Have you any photos please?
The floor I have been working on is in Kent.

John
Hi John,
Unfortunately, I have no photos as I didn't have my camera with me. It is a very nice place and you can take as long as you like to view a room as there was someone in each room. The following day, I visited Glamis Castle which was totally different as we had to go around in groups with a guide. Unfortunately, for me, I had to go around with a group of overly-enthusiastic Americans who weren't particularly listening and, due to this, kept on asking questions that had already been aswered.

I think there's an original upstairs floor in Leeds Castle, Kent, that has been laid with butterfly keys. I say "think" because I visited a long time ago, so I might have got the wrong castle. But I remember being amazed and impressed at the work. You could always give the castle a ring - give the place a visit if you're working local. They might let you in free!

Back