How is this curved dovetail joint made?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who's this Krenov? I havent met him yet, so maybe he got banned during a sharpening discussion? 😆🤣😝

My past student Jim hand carved and chiseled these.

1666373947593.png

Surely a simple case of template routing? Brittle grain though.
Or spend the time to make a really good jig up for the tablesaw,
It just seems there's no payoff to me to even consider anything but traditional,
in a worldly sense, if were talking about visual joinery.
I guess that was the plan, and would be surprised if it wasn't a one off,
as it doesn't look like it's a cnc job to me.

Or spend the time to make a really good jig up for the tablesaw,
It just seems there's no payoff to me to even consider anything but traditional,
in a worldly sense, if were talking about visual joinery.
I guess that was the plan, and would be surprised if it wasn't a one off,
as it doesn't look like it's a cnc job to me.
Or just get stuck in and do it by hand. It'd be quicker than setting up a machine unless you are into a production run.
Take out what you can of the waste with a DT saw, shape the pin holes (fret saw, rasp, gouge, etc) mark through with a scribe point for the pins and repeat.
There's a big tradition of very fancy DTs mainly from the east. There was a (Turkish?) chest in a post some time ago, situated in a church in Somerset. Anybody recall it?

Last edited:
Could it be a trick of the camera using a wide angle lens. ? Even the backs of the pins look concave.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Or just get stuck in and do it by hand. It'd be quicker than setting up a machine unless you are into a production run.
Take out what you can of the waste with a DT saw, shape the pin holes (fret saw, rasp, gouge, etc) mark through with a scribe point for the pins and repeat.
There's a big tradition of very fancy DTs mainly from the east. There was a (Turkish?) chest in a post some time ago, situated in a church in Somerset. Anybody recall it

And make understated embellishments elsewhere instead presumably, as it's clear to me the joint was made to be a statement or more seemingly to me, meet some criteria
for a journeyman apprentice of today.

Might be done by one of those handheld cnc's though, or possibly something bit simpler than the "shaper origin"

Sounds interesting, what were different about the possibly Turkish chest in Somerset?

Sounds interesting, what were different about the possibly Turkish chest in Somerset?
All sorts of fine twists and curls. I thought I'd kept a link but can't find it.
Fancy decorative dovetails are not uncommon, in fact Krenov's above are fairly dull in comparison!

an alternative method would be to just hire a professional Photoshop editor and 'stretch' the dovetail sides so they're not straight, nobody would ever know the difference :)

All sorts of fine twists and curls. I thought I'd kept a link but can't find it.
Fancy decorative dovetails are not uncommon, in fact Krenov's above are fairly dull in comparison!
Can't find the turkish chest but I spotted this 17th-Early 18th Century Bermuda Blanket Chest with Drawer and Bermuda Dovetails For Sale at 1stDibs
and this Bermuda blanket chest - FineWoodworking

PS found reference to the turkish chest in Church at Braunton. Back number of an RFS mag. Not found a picture yet.
correction - spanish or armada chest

Last edited:
Very interesting, never heard of a Spanish style dovetail before, which wasn't the time consuming neck joint on a classical guitar.
Doesn't seem to be many examples to figure it out.
Thistlethwaite Americana | Diminutive Bermuda Chest on Frame
In searching for more examples, I stumbled across the other joint I was thinking about.
Knapp-main.jpg

Very interesting, never heard of a Spanish style dovetail before, which wasn't the time consuming neck joint on a classical guitar.
Doesn't seem to be many examples to figure it out.
Thistlethwaite Americana | Diminutive Bermuda Chest on Frame
The tail side looks normal! There's a mystery!

Screenshot 2022-10-22 at 22.04.31.png

I've seen pics of your other example, must be more common.
I guess it's a neat trick and the round bit is simply drilled through and a dowel knocked in.That's how I'd do it anyway.
In searching for more examples, I stumbled across the other joint I was thinking about.

Last edited:
Drilling through and knocking in a dowel if a reasonable repair method. My father fixed them that way.

Also called a pin and cove joint but usually Knapp joint. The original used a cutter similar to a plug cutter that was moved along a rack until the required number was done on the drawer face. The drawer sides had a drill and a second cutter that scooped the front edge. They were the first machine joint for factories but only lasted a while before dovetailing machines came on the scene.

There are companies that make versions for routers if you search for them.

Pete

Back