Joint Suggestion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex H

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to make a base for a vintage sewing machine that I have (table repurposed a few years ago). The wood I intend to use is oak flooring as shown here

IMG_20231119_125901874.jpg

Having a look at a couple of books, I've so far come up with half blind dovetail, although I will have to ensure the pins cover the grooves. I don't have the machinery to make the boards thinner and remove the grooves (apart from a bandsaw but I don't think that's a good idea). I do have a router and dovetail jig which I've used a few tines before

Are there any other joints I could use which will hide the grooves?

A mitre joint, possibly reinforced with splines, would hide the joint and grooves and arguably look better. Personally I would find half-blind dovetails easier to cut; a mitre looks easy but I find it surprisingly hard to get a good joint.

Here's a suggestion if you have a 45deg V-groover and a straight cutter for your router (see attachment, scuse drawing, done with finger on mobile)
First cut a channel across the back of my the board to a depth of about 2/3 the board thickness and twice as wide as it's depth. In the middle of the groove cut a V channel thru to the front face. Make a square section glue block that will fill the cavity formed when the 2 mitre faces are brought together.I think you can guess the rest.
Brian

Attachments

• Mitre Joint.jpg
    Mitre Joint.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 0
Back