Draw runners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bofield

Reaction score
Hi

I don't know if any of you guys can help. I am building a cabinet with a pair of drawers at the top. My problem is I want to have dovetail joints on the drawers with blind dovetails on the front and for the drawers to fit flush with the frame. Are there drawer slides that I can use, I have seen some that mount under the draws but they only seem to be available in good old USA. All the others I have seen appear to be side mounted which would leave a large gap. Any help/advice would be appreciated

Hi

I don't know if any of you guys can help. I am building a cabinet with a pair of drawers at the top. My problem is I want to have dovetail joints on the drawers with blind dovetails on the front and for the drawers to fit flush with the frame. Are there drawer slides that I can use, I have seen some that mount under the draws but they only seem to be available in good old USA. All the others I have seen appear to be side mounted which would leave a large gap. Any help/advice would be appreciated
Ordinary old fashioned wooden runners are easy to do. Usually enough offcuts left to do them, so they cost nothing.
Some ideas here Install Drawers Without Metal Slides

Blum movento are undermount on the drawer but the part that fits to the cabinet is on the side requiring clearance.
Mostly they are all designed for overlay drawer fronts.
I suggest if you are having them fit very close it may be better to use traditional runners. I find these can be improved by using HDPE or similar for the runners if using a side rebate method or underneath the drawer if sliding them on the frame it makes them smooth and reduces wear.

If you make the drawer sides quite thick you might be able to rebate a slim ball bearing runner into the drawer side itself.
Maybe you could mount normal runners "flat" underneath the drawer base , but you would need to test that they run well that way round.
You could mount linear guide rails to the underside of the drawer and affix the carriages inside the frame, this would probably be the smoothest drawer ever made but it might cost a few quid.

Thats all I can think of for now

Ollie

Drawer runners were originally conceived for kitchen cabinets and ( like nails ) have no place in fine cabinetmaking, Far better to mill a groove about 2/3 the way up the side of the drawers ( to lower the center of gravity ) to accept a runner mounted on the sides of the carcass. With a little furniture wax the drawers will run very smoothly.

Back