Home made drum sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slemishwoodcrafts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The recent thread on drum sanders had me do a quick search on the forum and it threw up some threads on home made drum sanders. This was an avenue I explored a few years ago, though never got round to building one.

Basically I was just wondering if anybody who had declared an interest to build one had actually gone ahead and built one.

Regards,

Michael

I can't remember were (possibly not here?) but, I have seen plans and WIPs for people building their own drum sanders. It's often the people who make guitars and ukuleles. They appear to work well enough but I've never seen a home-made version that includes feed rollers - you always have to feed the wood through manually, which isn't ideal, in my opinion.

I've seen one with a proper feed bed. Just google them, loads of the americans have made them.

I have seen the plans online and have done an extensive google search on the sujbject. I was just wondering if there was anybody on the forum who had actually built their own sander and could offer pics/advice.

Regards,

Michael

I think it was Woodsworth that was going to send me some plans but I never received them. Maybe he lost them.

Cheers

Mike

I have plenty of plans and a couple of sketch up drawings that i was going to post to gather peoples thoughts on them. Ideally i would like to have a power feed version although that will require more engineering savvy than the simple tilting table version.

Any thoughts on the power feed idea?

Regards,

Michael

Actually i did send them Mike. Sent them a long time ago. I was wondering why you didn't say anything about them....

woodsworth":1is7xxx9 said:
Actually i did send them Mike. Sent them a long time ago. I was wondering why you didn't say anything about them....

Did you, sorry mate but I never received them. I thought that you must have lost or misplaced it, and that's why I never got them.

Cheers

Mike

I've made a very crude one here's a link to it's build :

http://www.luthiercom.org/phpBB3/viewto ... 115&t=1290

I'd love a jet 16-32 but couldn't afford on and this one came in cheap under £50 probably under £20 as I got the wood free it was just fixings I had to buy I have plans in pdf of a different power fed machine and I wish I'd built the feed table and adapted it to my build pm me an email addy and I forward them on if you like

John Hale":1zdt5mxf said:
I've made a very crude one here's a link to it's build :

http://www.luthiercom.org/phpBB3/viewto ... 115&t=1290

I'd love a jet 16-32 but couldn't afford on and this one came in cheap under £50 probably under £20 as I got the wood free it was just fixings I had to buy I have plans in pdf of a different power fed machine and I wish I'd built the feed table and adapted it to my build pm me an email addy and I forward them on if you like

John, PM sent.

Michael

Ok of interest (and i dont want to hi-jack your thread) but can i ask what you want a drum sander for?

I ask becuase ive only ever come across them once before (was actually more of a wide belt sander) and it was only really used for things like flushing frame joints once glued up etc. or taking stock down to thinner than a P/T would go.

But am i right in thinking their primary function is to speed up the sanding process, for example putting a 150 grit on it and using for the first sand before moving on to hand or orbit sanding? Is this what you want it for?

Luke

L Harding":1kw9q5zn said:
Ok of interest (and i dont want to hi-jack your thread) but can i ask what you want a drum sander for?

I ask becuase ive only ever come across them once before (was actually more of a wide belt sander) and it was only really used for things like flushing frame joints once glued up etc. or taking stock down to thinner than a P/T would go.

But am i right in thinking their primary function is to speed up the sanding process, for example putting a 150 grit on it and using for the first sand before moving on to hand or orbit sanding? Is this what you want it for?

Luke

Basically that is all I will use it for. I use panels quite a lot, and it is simply a method for cleaning up the faces etc after they have been glued together.

Michael

So useful. What takes me more time than anything is once I've thicknessed and dominoed a panel and glued it up I have to flatten off the glue and make it all flat. I use a hand plane and my ROS, with a drum sander you can just stick the panel through saves loads of time.

Not really a big one for hobby users as planing up panels is half the fun, but for a commercial shop and Luthers who want thin veneers for guitars.

I had a go on sketchup the other night, and this is the sort of design i came up with for the sander. It's still a WIP but any thoughts on this?

Screenshot2010-05-19at025800.png

Screenshot2010-05-19at025749.png

Screenshot2010-05-19at025733.png

Regards,

Michael

Latest posts

Back