Hollowing tools - another thread!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackjohnsonuk

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having been bitten by the turning bug about 6 months ago I've been toying with different types of forms and enjoying them all. I'm getting more and more intrigued however by hollow form turning for a number of reasons and would like to give it a go.

After reading all the threads on here (and there are numerous) about various tools and opinions I think I've come down to two options:

1. A Rolly Munro Wundercutt10 - it seems like an investment that has very few people regretting it.

2. A Simon Hope Easy Arm Hollowing Jig - again seems to get good review (of the few I've found)

I appreciate these are 2 very different ways to skin a cat, however, would be interested in people's thoughts!

Initially, I anticipate turning smallish 5" forms however as skill and confidence grow I'd like to go deeper :shock:

Thanks in advance

Jack

I personally like the crown revolution system which I find very good. I brought mine from Mark Sanger.

Some of his Videos are very good have a look HERE

I also have his book about hollow forms which is a great read See HERE

Jack

I would recommend giving any tool a try before you buy it, especially if it is expensive.
In the same we all use tools with slightly different grinds and angles for our 'standard' woodturning, so we will also probably feel more or less comfortable using different types of hollowing tools.

Remember a catch inside a hollow-form is so much more exciting than a catch on the outside!
Also remember there are two elements to turning the inside of a hollow form. Firstly you have to remove a large amount of wood, but then you should be trying to get a decent finish

There is bound to be someone in your woodturning club who will let you have a play.
i would be happy for you to come over and try my solution.
Like Dalboy, I also chose the Crown Revolution system
If not try a days lesson with one of the professional turners.

I was lucky enough to get on a charity day with Mark Hancock (who was our demonstrator at Berkshire the other night).
I was able to use a couple of his tools and get his advice.
Mark's advice on tool presentation was invaluable and made life much less fraught when doing my hollowing.

The key for me was to do the main cutting with a ring cutter with a limiter (sometime called a chip-breaker).
The limiter is adjustable so that when starting out on my hollow form journey I can reduce the depth of cut but as I gain more experience I can use the adjustment to get a little more aggressive and remove wood faster.
I can also mount various scraper blades to do the finishing cuts.

I would also recommend Mark Sanger's 'Turning Hollow Forms' book, if only because its the only one I have actually read, though there are other hollowing books available.

Cheers

Keith

I made mine similar to the ones above, also you can use a homemade shaft with a carbide machining tip, the most useful is a circular one suitable for cutting aluminium, steel ones are not sharp enough.
Mount it on a square shaft at a 45 degree angle. You can buy these, Simon Hope sells a typical example but there are others.

mikec

Back