Grinling Gibbons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! (told you kids speak is rubbing off) the man is a god when it comes to carving =D>
Seriously everyone you need to watch this.

By the way, we need a "bow down" smilie :lol:

I had thought each piece was carved from one piece of wood, then I found out in fact they were lots of small carvings stuck together!

Truly incredible stuff... what surprised me was how rough he left the bits that were only just sort of out of sight - I didn't expect him to finish it all to perfection but there were some rough parts where you could see them if you looked at certain angles... what didn't surprise me was how the royalty left him waiting for payment for years...

Gavin

I caught this a couple of years ago when it first aired, but being able to rock'n'roll through it on iPlayer you glean so much more. Thanks so much for posting the link.

I've only been to Florence once, and one huge regret was not seeing the panel. Just stunning. And its wonderful that people like Shane Raven are still keeping the faith.

E.

The most amazing, absolutely stunning things I've ever seen are TWO Riemenschneider altars. It was 1970, one was in Bamberg cathedral - in those days you could actually touch them - I don't suppose for a moment you'd be allowed anywhere near them now. I was 16 and on a school trip supposedly to better my German, but the only things I really remember are those carvings and Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier. Even at sixteen I had good taste in woodcarving and beer. :D

yes he was a master, I have the programme recorded in HD when it was aired on BBC4, have watched it several times now.

Back