Today was a very different day than I planned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a downside to having neons on the fused spurs. My late MiL had severe dementia and every twenty minutes she would tell me that "I had left everything on"!

There is a downside to having neons on the fused spurs. My late MiL had severe dementia and every twenty minutes she would tell me that "I had left everything on"!
My wife doesn’t have dementia but is forever going on about standby led and neons on switches. I resorted to taping over the leds on my computers.

I just wish I could teach my wife to close the back door, heating on, back door open when she goes to the bins, appalling waste of energy, I don't do bins too busy building stuff.

Sockets below worktops should be controlled by a 20a switch above not a FCU as that adds an unnecessary fuse.

Sockets below worktops should be controlled by a 20a switch above not a FCU as that adds an unnecessary fuse.
But not if the switch is on a 2x2.5mm ring main fed from a 30A breaker and steps down to a single 2.5 t&e from switch to socket.
In that case you need a fuse matched to the single T& E or you are intentionally replicating a fault condition of a broken ring.

But the single t&e will be rated at 26a. I have 20a switches feeding all my under sockets. I don't understand what you mean about replicating a broken ring.

@flying haggis . Just ignore me !
Like @Spectric I'm no fan of ring mains.
I was thinking about an obscure fault condition that could arise when you T a spur off a ring but it is unlikely and one that's better allowed to develop into a full short to blow the fuse anyway.
As long as you stick to the limit of one double socket or appliance per unfused spur you're good.

I just wish I could teach my wife to close the back door, heating on, back door open when she goes to the bins, appalling waste of energy, I don't do bins too busy building stuff.
I wish I could teach my cat to close the back door when she comes in - she pushes it open from outside! 😹 😸

I wish I could teach my cat to close the back door when she comes in - she pushes it open from outside! 😹 😸
In our house, the oscillator is referred to as "the cat flap tool".
We got so fed up of the cats pushing the inside doors open and making draughts that we fitted cat flaps in a couple of the internal doors as well as the back door.

A multitool is awesome for cutting in a catflap....

The very concept of spurs and ring mains is at best questionable. On the one hand you have the ring protected by a 32 amp protective device but you can take an unfused spur from any socket using 2.5mm T&E . The reason for the fuse in the plug is because there will be a change in current capacity between the ring and the load being connected, you can also read that as a change in cable size. With a radial circuit run in 2.5mm cable you use a 20 amp protective device so with the spur taken from the ring you will have a cable that with a type B 32 amp mcb will potentially need to handle three times rated current during a fault condition.

Much better to just use radials where all the issues with a ring are resolved.

But the single t&e will be rated at 26a.
Only if using reference method C, ie clipped direct which is 27 amps but once enclosed then you derate the cable .

In our house, the oscillator is referred to as "the cat flap tool".
We got so fed up of the cats pushing the inside doors open and making draughts that we fitted cat flaps in a couple of the internal doors as well as the back door.

A multitool is awesome for cutting in a catflap....
Ever tried teaching a cat to use multitool? 😸 😹🙀
My door is metal, & I don't think the Housing would approve!

We decided to paint the kitchen a little over a year ago. As we were doing so we thought it might be a good idea to replace some knackered old sockets. I took a couple off the wall to reveal a botched, but easily fixable, DIY electric job which probably wasn’t up to building regs.

While I was messing with the electrics I thought I might as well replace the broken extractor fan and hood. While doing that I found out they weren’t actually broken, they weren’t even wired up to anything.

The fan was underpowered anyway so I got a 6” one instead of a 4” one, which meant cutting a bigger hole in the exterior wall. While doing this I realised someone had attempted it in the past, clearly struggled and given up, and plastered over it, so I had to relay a few butchered bricks. Might as well redo the pointing on that whole bit of wall outside while I’m patching up the area around the new fan.

The kitchen is more or less done now aside from a wall which might get completely replastered. Could do with some new flooring after the abuse the previous owners vinyl has taken over the last 12 months.

Our cat has learnt to slap the flap with a paw, catch and pull it open and escape even when it's set to "in only".
Clever blighter. Good job that it's only a few of them that are born with opposable thumbs !

Back