Going to build a shepherd's hut - any advice or tips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to build a shepherd's hut for the garden. I'm going to source a chassis on wheels off eBay etc and then go from there. It will be a home office/extra sleeping space for guests etc. I don't have access to mains water where it is so not sure how I could manage a sink/shower etc.

Any advice or tips before I start building? I will be making from scratch rather than using a self build kit. The main problem I have is I will have to build it over a few weeks and don't have a building I can make it inside so will need to find a way to keep covered as it progresses.

Thanks

Rob

I'm going to source a chassis on wheels off eBay etc and then go from there.
Are you going to be moving it? if not, why spend out on a chassis with wheels.
I don't have access to mains water where it is so not sure how I could manage a sink/shower etc
All of the ones I've come across don't have either, within themselves, generally a separate building (and composting)
will need to find a way to keep covered as it progresses
I'd just throw a tarp over it.
I will have to build it over a few weeks
Little bit optimistic, how are you going to do the roof, traditional curved?

Had some dealings with: Shepherd Huts in the past, you may find useful.

All of the ones I've come across don't have either, within themselves, generally a separate building (and composting)

Thanks, yes traditional curved roof. Not going to move it - I don't think that many actually move but the chassis and wheels more for the aesthetics I think.

Stayed in a couple for weekend breaks and had sinks, toilets, showers etc integral. Not sure if we need that but want to scope out all options at the start

You could put a water tank in it that you could fill up with a hose pipe. Basically similar to how it works with a caravan, as someone else mentioned then put a macerator in for the toilet.

I built one a decade or so ago.

16x8 towed it flat pack to North Wales on a caravan chassis trailer

Didn't used a chassis just 6x2 timbers.

Stud axles and wheels attached.

You could use a cassette or portaloo.

If you can get an aqua roll and dirty water container pretty cheap too.

I would laminate (I didn't) roof beams on the galvanised sheet from 2x1/2 timber x5 to about 2" deep. Cladding over.
20140506_192835.jpg
20140506_192826.jpg
20140513_171437.jpg
20140506_200618.jpg
20140513_171458.jpg
20140513_171446.jpg

Last edited:
Any advice or tips before I start building? I will be making from scratch rather than using a self build kit.
I built my first one about ten years ago, the other two are for the chickens, wheels are probably a must so they can be moved for various reasons, as is insulation or it could become an oven! I and my better half decided to utilize a nearby toilet and kitchen block as we put an oak floor in and thought to keep water elsewhere. I'll attach a few pics that may help! Best of luck..Enjoy. Peter

Attachments

• S HUT 3 FRAME.jpg
    S HUT 3 FRAME.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 0
  • S HUT 4 TYVEK.jpg
    S HUT 4 TYVEK.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 0
  • S HUT 6 BOTH WINDOW.jpg
    S HUT 6 BOTH WINDOW.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 0
  • S HUT 7 DOOR.jpg
    S HUT 7 DOOR.jpg