Multico planer switch advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byron

Reaction score
21789E00-B87E-4270-97AC-E9744AB999BD.jpg

Hi all,

I’m new here. So I’ll introduce myself first. I have a workshop in Cornwall building shepherd huts. Started in 2015. Www.pumphreyandweston.co.uk. We build about 15-20 a year, and have gradually built up a nice workshop, slowly upgrading tools with better second hand tools.

I am after a bit of advice about my Multico 9” planer 240v. I need a new switch for it. I have tried a few and they only stay on when you hold the green button down. Does anyone know the type of switch I need and where I can pick one up from.

Many thanks in advance,

Byron

I would advise getting an industrial electrician in to sort it, pictures a bit small, but that looks like a standard DOL (direct online) starter bolted on the front, with a 16A plug, Electrical factors will have them but you will need to match the rating of motor to the contactor and overloads, I presume your supply is suitable for a +16A machine.

Nice huts by the way, been considering making them for years, but not sure how good the market is, lots of "makers" up here in Norfolk & Suffolk

It's probably all about how the switch is wired. The no volt release normally consists of 3 contactors side by side, and on single phase current has still to pass through all the coils to make it work. So it needs looping through. Get a wiring diagram or do some googling.

Yes and as above I hope everything's rated correctly including cabling. We don't want a fire, do we?

Last edited:
View attachment 144696

Hi all,

I’m new here. So I’ll introduce myself first. I have a workshop in Cornwall building shepherd huts. Started in 2015. Www.pumphreyandweston.co.uk. We build about 15-20 a year, and have gradually built up a nice workshop, slowly upgrading tools with better second hand tools.

I am after a bit of advice about my Multico 9” planer 240v. I need a new switch for it. I have tried a few and they only stay on when you hold the green button down. Does anyone know the type of switch I need and where I can pick one up from.

Many thanks in advance,

Byron
Sounds like the" hold in" coil is not getting power. If you have tried a new switch and you are still getting the same problem, then you may not have the correct connections.
Also worth checking to see if your emergency stop button is operating correctly ( assuming one is fitted ) This is a NC ( normally closed ) switch, and if you press the emergency stop, this opens the switch and cuts the current to the "hold in" coil.
A pic of how the DOL is wired in would help others give some helpful suggestions.
If in doubt, get a sparky - it ain't worth the risk !

Back