Hc260 planer needs fixing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarke

Reaction score
Hi all. Happy new year.

My metabo planer/thicknesser made a funny noise as I switched it off and then wouldn’t turn on again. The switch also made a buzzing sound if you held in the red ‘off’ button.

I hooked up a test plug straight to the motor (see wiring diagram below) bypassing everything else and it span up fine.
-Plug Live to red wire from motor
-Plug Neutral to white wire from motor
-I left the blue and red wires from the motor connected and also the capacitor stayed in the circuit.
- The black wire from motor was left disconnected.

My question is, what is the black wire coming from the motor for? I will need to order a new switch but a month (at least) order time means I need to hook something up temporarily.
What I’m unsure of is whether I can provide the motor with direct mains, will it harm it?
Do I need the black wire in the circuit? From the diagram it links straight back to the live wire from the plug feed but I don’t know if the switch (which is broke) would have any voltage or current regulating components which would be bypassed if I kept it wired how I have now.

P.s. I could still incorporate the safety micro switches into the equation (on the temporary rig) but still unsure of whether it’s a flat 240v throughout the system or not.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• F9953436-83BF-4E13-A5A1-249EB7AEC001.jpeg
    F9953436-83BF-4E13-A5A1-249EB7AEC001.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 70E42BF9-175A-43E5-A019-06C5B92BD880.jpeg
    70E42BF9-175A-43E5-A019-06C5B92BD880.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Have you looked at the capicitor,seems to be a fairly common thing to fail on various machines,cheap and easily available from ebay etc,just make sure you order the right one/size for your machine.

Have you opened the switch block to take a look? They are not designed to be opened, but I had a problem with mine a year or so ago, and I opened it up and whilst I can’t remember exactly what the fault was, it was very trivial and mechanical rather than electrical. worth a look I reckon.

Have you looked at the capicitor,seems to be a fairly common thing to fail on various machines,cheap and easily available from ebay etc,just make sure you order the right one/size for your machine.
Thank you. Not the capacitor as I’ve had that problem before. In any case, it powered up fine when putting main voltage to the motor.
Have you opened the switch block to take a look? They are not designed to be opened, but I had a problem with mine a year or so ago, and I opened it up and whilst I can’t remember exactly what the fault was, it was very trivial and mechanical rather than electrical. worth a look I reckon.
That’s what I did in the end.

I opened up the relay switch (see photos below) and found burnt out contacts. Luckily, the switch came with three sets of contacts and only utilises two of them. So I removed the burnt ones, cleaned up all remaining contacts and used the previously unused set

Attachments

• BB07957D-DC54-4FA3-8750-E5E17D66A380.jpeg
    BB07957D-DC54-4FA3-8750-E5E17D66A380.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 3FC56AD4-34AD-419D-BB5D-E55286DBBDDA.jpeg
    3FC56AD4-34AD-419D-BB5D-E55286DBBDDA.jpeg
    868.3 KB · Views: 0
Back