Hand Tool Wall Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynamite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m planning to build a hand tool wall cabinet one day. I have looked at many of these online and on YouTube. However, very few give much advice on the wood used and as a relative beginner, I would welcome any ideas.

I’m going to have to purchase the wood and I’m looking at something that would look nice and good quality but not break the bank (don’t want much do I ! ). I have attached an image of what I’m fancying.

Kind Regards…. Rob

Attachments

• IMG_1425.jpeg
    IMG_1425.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I am sure that many woods would be suitable it just depends on the look you are after. I have also seen the whole thing done in plywood. Sketch up a plan to see how much wood you need then compare prices. One cost saver would be say ply or pine then some nice hardwood trim.
Regards
John

I used factory made beech panels as I didn't know or could do better at that time.
Beach panel 18 mm thick makes it pretty strong to hold what will be like 100 kg of tools.
Also I have had some idea that is actually also used in kitchen cabinets sometimes - a shelve that slides out and down of cabinet, very useful for upper hard to reach part of cabinet:
PXL_20220607_074118296.jpg

Plan to have plough and combination planes there and spokeshaves of course.

Whatever wood you choose it will consume more than you first thought . I would get a set of plans and add up the sq footage. Personally I like Baltic Ply for these projects and of course a sheet is 32 sq feet. They are an efficient use of space and I'm planning to build one with double doors on each side. Don't forget the solid brass hinges. :rolleyes:

Whatever wood you choose it will consume more than you first thought . I would get a set of plans and add up the sq footage. Personally I like Baltic Ply for these projects and of course a sheet is 32 sq feet. They are an efficient use of space and I'm planning to build one with double doors on each side. Don't forget the solid brass hinges. :rolleyes:
Oh yes, it’s definitely getting brass hinges.

Why oh why is everything I look at and think…. That’s awesome, done in Walnut? I love Walnut!! It literally costs a fortune though. This cabinet would look bang on with being a combination of walnut and something else.

Why oh why is everything I look at and think…. That’s awesome, done in Walnut? I love Walnut!! It literally costs a fortune though. This cabinet would look bang on with being a combination of walnut and something else.
Sounds like your mind is made up and if that’s the case go with your heart and to hell with the cost / you may be dissatisfied with anything else ..

yes, true, i cant afford the walnut anyway so maybe I could do in beech and stain it then?
Beech is very hard and not easy to stain. You could just use polyurethane which will mellow to a golden colour over the years. As a beginner I might suggest using poplar which can look nice with a varnish and is one of the cheapest hardwoods. Softer woods are a little more forgiving to work but more than strong enough for a project like this.

I built a plane cupboard from ply offcuts. Picture taken before doors were added (made from reclaimed pallet wood with ply panels).
Total cost = nowt.

Attachments

• IMG_5284.jpeg
    IMG_5284.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Right then....

I think ive narrowed it down to Beech or Poplar(Tulip Wood). Im still undecided though. They both look to be around the same price.

Never worked with any of them (Im a beginner) but from what I can see, Beech might look more uniform, tighter grain and easier to work.

Poplar might be harder wearing than Beech and have a more grainy, woody look.

Decisions decisions!!!:cry::unsure:

Back