Hand Tool Wall Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right then....

I think ive narrowed it down to Beech or Poplar(Tulip Wood). Im still undecided though. They both look to be around the same price.

Never worked with any of them (Im a beginner) but from what I can see, Beech might look more uniform, tighter grain and easier to work.

Poplar might be harder wearing than Beech and have a more grainy, woody look.

Decisions decisions!!!:cry::unsure:
Use a combination and get some nice contrasts going!
You could even get a little walnut to use as takes your fancy

Hi everyone, I’m planning to build a hand tool wall cabinet one day. I have looked at many of these online and on YouTube. However, very few give much advice on the wood used and as a relative beginner, I would welcome any ideas.

I’m going to have to purchase the wood and I’m looking at something that would look nice and good quality but not break the bank (don’t want much do I ! ). I have attached an image of what I’m fancying.

Kind Regards…. Rob
How about building it from pine first to see if you like the dimensions etc, then build for good in hardwood?

I used factory made beech panels as I didn't know or could do better at that time.
Beach panel 18 mm thick makes it pretty strong to hold what will be like 100 kg of tools.
Also I have had some idea that is actually also used in kitchen cabinets sometimes - a shelve that slides out and down of cabinet, very useful for upper hard to reach part of cabinet:
View attachment 168722

Plan to have plough and combination planes there and spokeshaves of course.
Off: How you find what you need in this clutter? (y)

OMG. I’ve now thought about Oak!!!! daniel2 also mentioned it. I’m my own worst enemy on this dilemma!

Slightly more expensive but I reckon it would look great in Oak.

How about building it from pine first to see if you like the dimensions etc, then build for good in hardwood?
I'm glad I didn't make one so far, as I wished to do the same...until I seen a utoober drop
a plane (IIRC) on the floor, he has ductile iron planes and mats, so came away unscathed
for the most part.
That's a true glimpse of the real world there, being focused on something else whilst doing the housekeeping.

My scavenged beer fridges have proved very handy behind me on the bench,
for easy placement of tools on a big flat surface, and insulated aswell.
I just about managed to scoot them slightly closer behind me since, which was pleasing,
as you can see the tools are very far away in this pic.

Tools go back in fridge for metalwork, and admittedly is a pain to take them out, most in
Euro containers of various sizes, and frequently used things are left out when
woodworking, and have plenty of space to go from bench to fridge top, and back again,
so that's another factor of risk taken away IMO.
In short, I'd a surely want a horizontal surface under a cabinet if you want one, cuz you likely won't put them back without.
Likely won't require a re-design, but just some food for thought, should you be thinking of hanging things like saws from the bottom.
Tom

SAM_8268.JPG

yes, true, i cant afford the walnut anyway so maybe I could do in beech and stain it then?
I did experiment with that and it does look nice stained indeed. I tried water based pigment stain. Dark walnut and mahogany from CLOU do look nice on beech.

The beech does bleach sometimes (uneven staining that looks ugly), depending on wood and how surface was finished (hand plane or sand paper). So try on off-cuts first. Can be improved if you do a pass of shellac first.

Also combination of alcohol based shellac then water based pigment stain and oil top finish seems to work alright, that is what I would do.
Beech is boring.
A great functional timber but overused by IKEA.
I love beech - it is the cheapest hardwood around here and closed pores solid wood. I have some of expensive real mahogany too, but I just think I am still not worthy of it to try. A lot of fir and pine looks boring to me.
When I did mine it did cross my mind as well. But then I just prototyped parts of it, like at what angle and which planes on which places. I think I would stuck with pine prototype and not do it in hardwood at all if I would do it fully in pine. So there is this danger too.

This also effectively restrain me from buying more bench planes so far. As there is no empty place for them in my wall cabinet that is so convenient to use. :giggle:
Off: How you find what you need in this clutter? (y)

Easy! Right side is for most used classical double iron planes, left side is for now rarely used bevel up planes of the same sizes. And scrub plane in the middle. It looks less clutter when shelf is lifted up to its place:
PXL_20220607_074103219 (1).jpg
(This is how three layers of transparent hard oil with wax look like on beech.)

Plan to do the doors one day. If only I could solve the puzzle of what tools to hang where in polynomial time... And not buy more chisels or something.
I have two panel saws and four Veritas saws and a set of Japanese saws that I struggle to find convenient place for.
Maybe separate hand saw till instead?

But I am curios what OP will do in the end.

The beech does bleach sometimes (uneven staining that looks ugly), depending on wood and how surface was finished (hand plane or sand paper). So try on off-cuts first.
Here is what I mean when beech does bleach:

PXL_20231223_093104815.jpg

This is after first layer where it absorbs a lot of oil. There was a knot or some other defect not very far from there. Or something like this:

PXL_20231223_095806694.jpg

But even when there's no defects it might look uneven:
PXL_20231223_095847624.jpg

With more layers it becomes a bit less obvious but still visible:
PXL_20231223_100545262.jpg

Previously I didn't see that on beech. Even factory made panels look better. But the last time I purchased beech boards it happens more than not...

Right then....

I think ive narrowed it down to Beech or Poplar(Tulip Wood). Im still undecided though. They both look to be around the same price.

Never worked with any of them (Im a beginner) but from what I can see, Beech might look more uniform, tighter grain and easier to work.

Poplar might be harder wearing than Beech and have a more grainy, woody look.

Decisions decisions!!!:cry::unsure:
Poplar is quite soft and easily dented, have a look on fb marketplace, you might get some boards of something local

Why oh why is everything I look at and think…. That’s awesome, done in Walnut? I love Walnut!! It literally costs a fortune though. This cabinet would look bang on with being a combination of walnut and something else.
Veneer is your friend. The inside of my tool chest is walnut veneered.

Back