Garden workshop - planning permission

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msparker

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m planning to build a workshop in our garden. I know you can build one without planning permission under permitted development, but you’re limited to 2.5m height which probably only gets you 2.1ish internal. I’m 1.9m so this isn’t super roomy. The rear boundary of our garden is a 3m high wall, so my thinking is I should apply for planning permission to allow me to build up to the height of the wall, getting much better head height and allowing for a warm roof construction.

I’ve started working on a planning application. In the process you’re asked for drawings, materials lists etc. I don’t imagine the general design I have in my head changing loads, but I’m still wondering about things like having overhangs vs more of a box style building, or do I clad the sides in metal sheeting for no maintenance or clad in wood all around.

Does anybody have experience with planning and specifically how close you have to stick to what you submitted? If you wanted to change the cladding or overhangs for instance, can you just do it? or do you need to make an official ‘non-material amendment’ (faff and expense). Indecision is preventing me from just prepping and submitting!

Thanks in advance

I don’t have much experience with planning permission but there are usually guidelines for you to follow. If you contact your local council they are usually happy to advise you . I’d imagine the big issue for them asking about materials is fireproofing. Best to gather as much info before submitting any plans as if they insist you keep to that design then you will want to get it right 1st time ..just my opinion of course..

I built under planning permission, process was easy and used simple drawings. My drawings had hoizontal cladding but ended up going with vertical, planning officer who signed off said nothing. Building proportions and shape were as per plans. Cladding material was as per plans.

I expect it’ll be planning dept and planning officer specific as to how much deviation from the plan they will ignore.

Fitz

I'd echo what @Bingy man proposed in that a chat with your Planning Team could save a lot of hassle and assist with the application, including the potential for changes down the line a bit.

We did the same thing regarding a garden room but I was well prepared with a list of questions and potential sub-questions depending on their responses so that it hopefully made the conversation flow and cover everything I needed ahead of the documentation going in. I'm not proposing you tie them up in an unplanned two-hour discussion by the way....;)

One consideration would be to make the submission a 'worst case scenario' in terms of materials, dimensions, design, etc. as it would be easier to tone that down if you wanted to during construction than ramp up what you've had permission to build.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers - Dave

No offence intended. I’m now recently retired but was first a planning officer for 32 years, then planning consultant. I suppose as a ‘planner’ it follows that ‘planning’ is our discipline but I’ve always despaired when either applicants or clients want to engage with the process without a clear vision of the project. This is obviously where a professional designer/architect would sit in larger schemes, advising on detailed design, materials etc.
I totally understand that you don’t want/need professional assistance for either the design of the building or the planning process, but when you’re handling these aspects yourself you should still make the same decisions at the same stage that you would expect your architect or planning consultant to do. In other words, don’t make a planning application until you’ve fully decided the design, materials and finishes of your building. At some point you’re going to have to firm up your proposal, so I would strongly suggest that you put on your architect hat now, before making a planning application. After all, you’re going to have to make these decisions before you purchase materials.
There’s no easy answer to your initial question about how far you can deviate from approved plans. Essentially you only have permission to build exactly what’s shown on your approved plans. Building something different does not have the benefit of planning permission. Changes or departures from the approval is either ‘material’ or ‘non-material’ (matters or doesn’t matter). Non-material should simply be ignored but any material change will require a new planning application. That means your building is unauthorised unless/until it has been regularised via a new application/approval.
As I said at the outset, I don’t want to offend, but you will find the planning process much simpler if you approach it with a thoroughly considered proposal.
All the best with your project.

No offence intended. I’m now recently retired but was first a planning officer for 32 years, then planning consultant. I suppose as a ‘planner’ it follows that ‘planning’ is our discipline but I’ve always despaired when either applicants or clients want to engage with the process without a clear vision of the project. This is obviously where a professional designer/architect would sit in larger schemes, advising on detailed design, materials etc.
I totally understand that you don’t want/need professional assistance for either the design of the building or the planning process, but when you’re handling these aspects yourself you should still make the same decisions at the same stage that you would expect your architect or planning consultant to do. In other words, don’t make a planning application until you’ve fully decided the design, materials and finishes of your building. At some point you’re going to have to firm up your proposal, so I would strongly suggest that you put on your architect hat now, before making a planning application. After all, you’re going to have to make these decisions before you purchase materials.
There’s no easy answer to your initial question about how far you can deviate from approved plans. Essentially you only have permission to build exactly what’s shown on your approved plans. Building something different does not have the benefit of planning permission. Changes or departures from the approval is either ‘material’ or ‘non-material’ (matters or doesn’t matter). Non-material should simply be ignored but any material change will require a new planning application. That means your building is unauthorised unless/until it has been regularised via a new application/approval.
As I said at the outset, I don’t want to offend, but you will find the planning process much simpler if you approach it with a thoroughly considered proposal.
All the best with your project.
@TomGW thanks for this, no offence whatsoever, this is exactly the sort of advice I was after.

If I were building under permitted development, my mental image of how things would progress is
- I'd create an overarching plan of what I want (I already have this, and in some areas quite detailed views). Final detail for size, shape, openings, foundations etc. e.g. the stuff that would fill the first big chunk of build time. lower resolution on things like finishes
- The build would probably take me months of evenings and weekends, so as I went I'd research ahead and make final decisions on materials etc as I went
- Lots of flexibility to adapt as I learn, but probably indecision and stress along the way

From what you've said, it seems clear that I need to finalise the remaining question marks in the design before hitting send. This helps sharpen my focus and I'll work towards this. The risk is that I dont really have the experience and knowledge to make all the decisions up front, but I'll get on research mode!

@TomGW I couldn't agree more, I get asked to produce planning drawings for all sorts of projects, it always surprises me as to how little thought clients have given to their needs and purposes.

In my view if your putting an application in for approval then that is what you shall actually build, on the basis you will have already made all the decisions.

I've picked up a few projects in the past where a re application has had to sought as they didn't build to the original and approved design spec, there is a classic case, on a different scale mind, not far from me where a new house has been built 450mm of the plan lines, lots of objections going in now because of overlooking and encroachment.

If your even considering going off plan, look what happened to Captain Tom's family Spa Build when they went off plan, it was torn down!

In about 1995 when we lived in Essex I built a workshop at the bottom of the garden. I did not need planning permission.
The base was 8x5m and as such I needed building control to check it at various stages. I believe the strike point on the area when they step in was 30m2.
The 2.5m you mention is I believe for a flat roof, for a pitch I was allowed 3.0m. As I was building/cladding in a combustible material I had to have a clear 1m between structure and boundary.

Colin

P1000687-1200.jpg

There is a house near where I live that originally had p p for a 2 story extension up and over the garage, convert garage to living room and two bedrooms above. So the owner decided to demolish the entire house and re build making it bigger than the original house and the extension. It’s been in and out of court but the council have won the appeal on the grounds that the owner has gone way beyond what he had permission for in every way possible. The house is to be demolished. Personally I’d stick to the agreed plans once you have finalised them and only change them if it’s absolutely necessary. It’s a bit like you keeping your end of the deal . Imagine you’re excavating the footings and come across a previously unknown drain or water pipe. Common sense would tell me to stop digging and contact the relevant authorities to investigate and make a decision. Having to alter or modify the plans for this type of unforeseen event is completely understandable as long as you inform planning on what’s happened. Completely agree with @TomGW that the more information you have prior to submitting your application the better . No point designing something that will never be permitted. I’ve recently put 6 water supply’s for 6 flats in and as the ground is suspect for contamination-I had to use barrier mdpe ( £440 ) for 25 mtrs and special fittings that cost a fortune . I also ran the pipes in a 100mm blue flexible duct . How did I know about all this - I phoned south staffs water and spoke with the technical department and the chap I spoke to was brilliant and advised any questions or concerns then phone back and he would help as much as possible. The 6 supplies were inspected today and passed with no issues whatsoever. Planning a preparation is the key to success.. oh and don’t assume someone is ok because you think it is ..good luck

@msparker When you are building under 'permitted development' you have the luxury of making it up as you go along, providing you keep within the parameters of PD. When you need planning permission, the decision to approve is based on your submission and that's all you have permission to build. The judgement on whether any departure is material or non-material is to an extent subjective and very much depends on the context. For example, if highly visible in a conservation area it will be critical. However, in any context, if judged material, the change will require a new permission even though it may be perfectly acceptable.

@HOJ Sometimes people’s attitude to risk is staggering. While I have recently retired I still have a few active cases. In one case, stables, an additional shed for a large boat and a new, proper house (high spec with underfloor heating etc) built on a green field in the countryside, after having been refused permission for the stables. In another case, in excess of £3m has been spent on a new factory premises as an extension to an existing business, but outside the original site, on unzoned land, without any planning or building control applications ever having been submitted.

You don’t just have a ‘nice friendly chat’ with a planner here in Mid Suffolk. You pay £100 minimum, fill in a form, enclose official site plan, drawings and photos and get an answer by email in 14 days.

I’m planning to build a workshop in our garden. I know you can build one without planning permission under permitted development, but you’re limited to 2.5m height which probably only gets you 2.1ish internal. I’m 1.9m so this isn’t super roomy. The rear boundary of our garden is a 3m high wall, so my thinking is I should apply for planning permission to allow me to build up to the height of the wall, getting much better head height and allowing for a warm roof construction.

I’ve started working on a planning application. In the process you’re asked for drawings, materials lists etc. I don’t imagine the general design I have in my head changing loads, but I’m still wondering about things like having overhangs vs more of a box style building, or do I clad the sides in metal sheeting for no maintenance or clad in wood all around.

Does anybody have experience with planning and specifically how close you have to stick to what you submitted? If you wanted to change the cladding or overhangs for instance, can you just do it? or do you need to make an official ‘non-material amendment’ (faff and expense). Indecision is preventing me from just prepping and submitting!

Thanks in advance
Do a sketch of the plan witth measurements, both site and elevation views. Send it in to the Planning dept and see what they say. Better to be safe that sorry.

You don’t just have a ‘nice friendly chat’ with a planner here in Mid Suffolk. You pay £100 minimum, fill in a form, enclose official site plan, drawings and photos and get an answer by email in 14 days.
Yeah I think it's the same where I live but more like £300. My plan is pretty simple and I hope not controversial so I'll have my fingers crossed.

Back