Hand Tool Wall Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are seeing this from a beginners perspective in that you need to buy the wood for this project.
I have many years of accumulated wood leftover from bigger pieces so if I were going to make it I would be selecting from several different species to use them up. Walnut, Maple including Quilted, Alder, Honduran Mahogany, Macassar Ebony, Santos Rosewood (Pau Ferro), Hickory, Spalted Apple, Wenge, figured Ipe along with others I can't think of at the moment. All of them ranging from a few small boards to 2 or 3 long wide ones. The idea being that the cabinet is unique to the maker representing many of the projects from the past. It doesn't have to be matchey matchey, just honest. Think about making a few projects first and then use the extra wood left from those for your tool case.

Pete

From the grain on the front and inside the top I'd suggest either pitch pine or Columbian pine, which are quite similar to one another. Pitch pine is especially difficult to get hold of nowadays but in the 19th & 20th centuries it was used a lot for staircases, doors etc. As you probably know it's a softwood and fairly open-grained, but lovely to work with. We have loads of it in our Victorian house.

Hi Dynamite, reusing table tops was mentioned I have a solid Mahogany D end dining table that has to go- emigrating and as nobody wants them these days it’s free for collection, just over the river from you in Barton.
Only problem is I am away now till Feb?
If that isn’t of use there is a really brill Timberyard on this side called Sommerscales in a village called Keelby.
They have all types and qualities of Oak including Brown, they also do Beech etc, can recommend.
PM me if going and want to know more, or if interested in the Mahogany.
Ian

This is a beautifully made memory box but it doesn't look like oak to me.
Ive been told by three separate people experienced in woodworking that it is. Maybe the photos aren’t clear and you can tell better in person. The wood was from recycled oak doors in my house.

Hi Dynamite, reusing table tops was mentioned I have a solid Mahogany D end dining table that has to go- emigrating and as nobody wants them these days it’s free for collection, just over the river from you in Barton.
Only problem is I am away now till Feb?
If that isn’t of use there is a really brill Timberyard on this side called Sommerscales in a village called Keelby.
They have all types and qualities of Oak including Brown, they also do Beech etc, can recommend.
PM me if going and want to know more, or if interested in the Mahogany.
Ian
Thanks for the offer Ian. I will let you know if I pop over.

Ive been told by three separate people experienced in woodworking that it is. Maybe the photos aren’t clear and you can tell better in person. The wood was from recycled oak doors in my house.
Then I suggest that none of the three have ever worked Oak !! - - - - and whoever sold you the door as 'Oak' was a con-man. :ROFLMAO:

Like your friends I have used a large amount of oak over the years.
I agree that the photos are not all pin sharp, so it would help if there were close up images of the corner joints, and the end grain of the top and bottom.

https://www.wood-database.com/white-oak/
What I was looking for are medullary rays on the side/end grain and 'vessels' that are present in oak. I cannot see any in the images provided.

Hope the above link is helpful
Cheers Fred

I agree that the chest does not look like oak at all, I'm almost certain it's some kind of softwood, it could even be redwood pine with no knots, maybe douglas fir, maybe old pitch pine?

for the cabinet I'd suggest using ash, it's ideal for this kind of thing, one of my favourite woods to work with.

I agree that the chest does not look like oak at all, I'm almost certain it's some kind of softwood, it could even be redwood pine with no knots, maybe douglas fir, maybe old pitch pine?

for the cabinet I'd suggest using ash, it's ideal for this kind of thing, one of my favourite woods to work with.
Agree with the above

Back