Tool chest, tools cabinet or plane till?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMALMALEKI

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0364.jpeg

My planes have outgrown my first plane till/ cabinet and I need to build some safe place to keep them. I am undecided between a tool chest a wall cabinet and a new plane till.
What do you use in your workshop and what are the advances and disadvances?
I look forward to hear from you all.

A lot depends on how you like to work. I find open shelves where I can see the most used tools makes it quick and easy to reach the tool you want. The down side is they are less protected from the environment than if they are in a closed chest or cabinet. Available space is another thing to have a think about.
Regards
John

Tool chests? Are you an itinerant carpenter? No? No chest.

Plus, those bloody moveable tills are always obscuring the tool you need. Did I mention backache?

I like tool chests, because you can move them about, I don't have the space currently for a wall tool cabinet but I'd rather have that.

Yes, agreed Paul, until you realise they are also taking up a lot of what the Yanks call "floorium".

And, they are a tripping-over/bumping-into-hazard.

Did I mention backache?
My workshop has very large windows so wall space it at more of a premium than floor space. My tool chest is on wheels and raised to the same height as my workbench so acts as additional mobile work space when it is closed (it’s not fitted out yet so just a large chest space at the moment). I have my picture framing mat cutter fixed to it currently.

When I moved into my first workshop I made myself a pair of wall cabinets. following a design by 'Alf Martensson' ( now there's a name one doesn't hear mentioned much nowadays) Can't remember where I saw it, but it's a fairly systemised build. I suppose it bridges the gap between a ' plane till' and a 'cabinet',

The rear box of the cabinet is 4ft high by 3ft wide by 5,1/2 inch deep, and is made entirely of 1/2 inch ply. The system, is in using 5 inch wide strips throughout ( the 5,1/2 inch dimension previously given ,takes into account a 1/2 inch backing board) Where a housing is needed to capture the end of the shelves the sides of the cabinet have an additional 5 inch strip of the appropriate length, glued and pinned on.

The base contains many closely spaced, full width, shelves with various small uprights in between. This allows you to fit all the various sized planes on their side in their own individual compartments.

The 'cabinet' aspect of the build is the pair of box doors to the front. These use the same system as the back. except the strips are only 3 inches wide. They are held on with piano hinges Also, the doors are each less than 18 inches wide, leaving a 1/4 inch gap where they meet This allows them to close against each other Each door is latched - top and bottom - with cabinet clasps.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I have a single garage as my workshop. One wall is taken up with shelves, and the end wall houses my timber racks. There's only half a wall available to the end due to a hatch door in the middle for top floor storage. Both the floor and the wall are difficult to find. A wall cabinet or till would provide good access, while a mobile toolbox can be moved around as needed. I might consider making a small till for tools to be used on the day and a chest to store them after use. This way, I don't have to keep all of them out all the time

My workshop has very large windows so wall space it at more of a premium than floor space. My tool chest is on wheels and raised to the same height as my workbench so acts as additional mobile work space when it is closed (it’s not fitted out yet so just a large chest space at the moment). I have my picture framing mat cutter fixed to it currently.
Gotcha. Good workaround.

I was debating building this one from finewoodworking (Hanging tool cabinet - FineWoodworking) until I saw this thread.

My tools are currently sitting on some metal shelving, but it's not ideal as it takes up a lot of space and the tools aren't really organised so I end up having to move loads of things to get to the tool I want.

I have considered a half way approach of building something that sit's on the shelves, while that won't solve my space issue it will allow for better organisation.

Back