TOOL STORAGE CABINETS & RACKS... WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE NOT DONE BUYING???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I set up my shed 20 years ago I went with pegboard for the same reason. Time however has shown me some if it's weak points. Some of the holes get enlarged and those wire clip thingies are not always just what you want for some items. I am bit by bit overlaying it with french cleats. Mind you I have been rearranging my workspace most of my life so likely that perfect system will always be just out of reach.
Regards
John

I have had plastic peg boards with plastic inserts for a similar length of time, maybe longer and so far wear hasn’t been an issue. However it brings different challenges…
The two sets of boards I have are from different manufacturers and the pegs can be a sloppy fit. This means they fall off when you take a tool and usually disappear down the back of the workbench.
In addition there are only 4 or 5 different types of peg which requires some ingenuity to hang certain tools.

Let's face it, whether it's a tool wall, caddy/toolbox, drawers or whatever system we devise, the latest New Tool, or found-in-the-back-of-a-drawer item, or car-boot find or whatever, will always require a modification to our workshop layout, it's a constantly evolving process.

I tend to use drawers for the majority of hand tools that aren’t in daily use in the workshop, I don’t fit the drawers out the tools are just put in loose so it doesn’t matter if I need to add to them.
For daily use hand tools they are on a tool wall behind my bench here again whilst they have their own fixture that fixture will fit anywhere on the tool wall due to the simplicity of its design.

View attachment 180422

All the fixtures cantilever between the horizontal slats so if I need to add a tool it’s just a matter of cutting a piece of 3/4” pine to suite the new tool & fitting it into a slot.
Really simple & continually evolving the photo above was taken 6 years ago, today the layout is considerably different.
Could you post a recent picture so we can see your changes?

Let's face it, whether it's a tool wall, caddy/toolbox, drawers or whatever system we devise, the latest New Tool, or found-in-the-back-of-a-drawer item, or car-boot find or whatever, will always require a modification to our workshop layout, it's a constantly evolving process.
No, not really.

Latest posts

Back