Giving up the dreaded Weed!!!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was always the problem Rob, the only tobaccos my wife like the smell of tasted like soapy water to me!

Roy.

Mike, I'm sure you get back to your skinny old self in short time. Well done.

Because of the tablets I'm on I don't usually drink, but yesterday a couple of mates from my old manor Highbury, who I have not seen since I moved up here, popped in to take me out for a birthday drink. They were on their way from London to help another mate who is now a dairy farmer in Iceland to clean up after the volcanic eruption in Eyjafjallajoekull, when they did a detour to Aberdeenshire.
Apparently it wasn't a spur of the moment thing because they had planed it with SWMBO a couple of days ago.

Anyway here we are sitting in the boozer when I noticed that I could actually smell the bear instead of smoke :shock:

Of course they thought that I was winding them up when I told them I had given up, because as one of them said he thought that when I died I would have a fag in my mouth :roll: So today is a double celebration, my birthday and 6 months without a smoke :lol:

I'm really chuffed that two people who I grew up with, went out of their way to drop in. But there again it just shows what calibre of a person they are when they fly off to help another friend in need :D

Cheers

Mike

Digit":3ugmz9hu said:
I take it it was a very smelly bear was it Mike? :lol:

Roy.

Yeah right :lol: No I mean the hop's or whatever you call them. Put it this way when I used to smoke the pint was just wet and taste pretty good, but I never actually remember the smell before :roll: :oops:

Cheer

Mike

It creeps up on you Mike, even other people's tobacco smells differently. My first realisation of the change was in a super market and the wife, who smoked, wanted some onions.
'This way!' I informed her, I could smell them.
Makes you wonder why you were so bloody silly as to start smoking in the first place, and the money you've wasted!! :oops:

Roy.

Digit":2p9m0vin said:
It creeps up on you Mike, even other people's tobacco smells differently. My first realisation of the change was in a super market and the wife, who smoked, wanted some onions.
'This way!' I informed her, I could smell them.
Makes you wonder why you were so bloody silly as to start smoking in the first place, and the money you've wasted!! :oops:

Roy.

It sure does :oops:

Cheers

Mike

I gave up on 12th April 1999, yes I absolutely still remember the day, the place, maybe not quite so much the time (was around 11am but can't be sure) and I can definitely remember the thought that went through my head - "I don't want to do this any more".

I was halfway through a Marlboro light, stubbed it out, walked off and I've not smoked since.

These days I always find it interesting when people say things like "I'm going to give up on Tuesday" or "I'll give up when I've finished this pack". These attempts are surely doomed to failure - if you WANT to give up you'd do it there and then no excuses, nothing.

After giving up I found that the first few weeks were utter hell, the next three months were difficult, and after 6 months I think I was fully over the addiction. The benefits - tasting food, sense of smell, money to burn [ahem], feeling fitter) - took a while to kick in. One of the defining moments was when a work colleague came in from having a ciggy and I felt ill when the smell wafted my way.

Anyhow - good luck Mike, giving up is well worth it!

Well done and the worst is over now.

I gave up on the 1st May 1993 the day of a friends wedding, the worst possible day with drinking, eating and hanging around with not much to do for much of the day. However as I went through so much agony on that day the thought of having done that for nothing really helped me with subsequent bad days.

I had decided to give up (after 10 years dedicated smoking over 20 a day) at Christmas 1992 but wanted to have a target day and build up to it. I told everyone I would give up on May 1st as it seemed a long way off. I really liked smoking but knew it was killing me so on the day before gave my lighter (a very nice original Vietnam spec zippo from a family member) to my best mate and threw about 8 packs of Marly lights away and a few cigars I had and from that day to this have never had a cigarette. Well apart from a drag on a joint a couple of years later and that scared me cos it was like I had never stopped and gave me extra impetus to keep off them.

I reckon it took 3 months for the addiction to wear off but over 10 years for the habit bit to truly disappear. I still think of myself as an Ex smoker, not a Non smoker.

Congrats and your battle now may be with weight, I have had a tough time with this and am 2 stone heavier than when I stopped smoking and despite significant efforts, find it harder than quitting smoking. At least with fags you can stop completely, with food it is like trying to cut down to only 10 fags a day from 20 which is doomed to failure. Ah well still healthier.

joesoap":g900pxeq said:
Smokins not all that bad , it cures fish does it not !

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one. Mind you at the same time a bullet in the head will cure a migraine, or at least it will not hurt anymore. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

When I gave up, thirty-odd years ago, I just kept putting off that 'much-needed' cigarette until later. The craving passed in about a month.

I won't say it's all rosy now though. Every so often the desire to have a ciggie comes over me. I just dismiss it as a stupid thought.

So, I classify myself as a 'smoker who doesn't smoke'..

Best off are folk like Rob, who have never touched the things. :wink:

Keep it up and the best of luck. Oh... and not too many sweets either!

John :)

Mike.C":25c51srk said:
Because of the tablets I'm on I don't usually drink, but yesterday a couple of mates from my old manor Highbury, who I have not seen since I moved up here, popped in to take me out for a birthday drink. They were on their way from London to help another mate who is now a dairy farmer in Iceland to clean up after the volcanic eruption in Eyjafjallajoekull, when they did a detour to Aberdeenshire.
Apparently it wasn't a spur of the moment thing because they had planed it with SWMBO a couple of days ago.

Anyway here we are sitting in the boozer when I noticed that I could actually smell the bear instead of smoke :shock:

Of course they thought that I was winding them up when I told them I had given up, because as one of them said he thought that when I died I would have a fag in my mouth :roll: So today is a double celebration, my birthday and 6 months without a smoke :lol:

I'm really chuffed that two people who I grew up with, went out of their way to drop in. But there again it just shows what calibre of a person they are when they fly off to help another friend in need :D

Cheers

Mike

I reckon Mike mentioned the volcano just to prove he can spell its name! Where's all the umlates and stuff Mike? Please don't ask me to spell or pronounce it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope it was a real good beer like we get in the Midlands btw!

John :wink:

I missed this thread first time round so just thought I'd lend my congrats to Mike for getting this far.
=D>
I smoked during my college and university years and a for a couple of years after, but gave up about 9 years ago when my girlfriend asked me to because she didn't like it. I tried using nicotine gum but it didn't do anything (they wouldn't stay lit), and I realsied I didn't need them and just stopped.
I couldn't give away my lighter as I had an engraved zippo from my sister which was too valuable to me (and too useful, there are other things to set fire to in life apart from cigarettes). These days I will occasionally have a cigarette if I'm at a party with my mates and if I've had a few beers and there is no denying that if you smoke too much in an evening the morning after is far more unpleasant, but the fact of the matter is that I enjoyed smoking, and still do on the rare occasions I do it, I'm just glad I was not hopelessly addicted as I don't half notice it when a smoker gets in the lift at work - the thought that I used to smell like that is really unwelcome!

Well done to you, sir, stay with it!

Benchwayze":1v6qyjw7 said:
Mike.C":1v6qyjw7 said:

Cheers

Mike

I reckon Mike mentioned the volcano just to prove he can spell its name! Where's all the umlates and stuff Mike? Please don't ask me to spell or pronounce it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope it was a real good beer like we get in the Midlands btw!

John :wink:

Umlates god knows mate, but the beer is good :roll: I used to drink larger until I started tasting real ale and hearing about the different varieties on the forum. As I said because of the tablets I am on I don't drink much now, but the other night we went to a little boozer and the landlord had just bought a few crates of bottled beers in from the Orkney brewery. I don't know how well known they are but I had a few bottles of Dark Island and Skullspilter :lol: And very nice they were :lol:

Anyway John thanks for your support, and yours too Vormulac.

Cheers

Mike

Well today it has been 1 year since the dreaded weed touched my lips and I have to say that I feel much better for it :lol:

Cheers

Mike

Well done Mike, one day at a time as with all quests. =D> they'll have you naming the Malts at a couple of Mtrs with your new sense of aroma appreciation.

Back