feasability

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Osb has many nooks and granny's that don't get painted a
My granny is long gone, 50 years or so, but however deep I dig into my memory I don't recall anyone ever painting her. 😁

(I doubt auto correct often comes across people typing "crannys", or is it "crannies".... I think it is, along with nooks, but not nookie which is completely different...more wine, barman before I write any more of this drivel)

Last edited:
I've already cut the m&t's for a two panel door.

I'll use 18mm OSB3, glued in with Semforite, Cuprinoled, oil based primed, undercoated (twice?) and glossed. Not having used OSB like this I'm just waithing for someone to tell why it won't work.:)
As with everything "it depends " but I’m sure what you describe will last a long time. I would expect plain OSB to last 20 years so painted and maintained should last a very very long time indeed.
Ian

I know ply is easier, and ive made a lot of internal doors with mfd for the panels, but exterior is going to get a fair bit of weather chucked at it and its not just a case of X amounts of varnish(preferred exterior finish) its seasonal changes like heat humidity etc.

Gluing up 3 or so boards of solid i think would be best, mainly as its the tried and tested method of construction. In a kind of 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' type of thing.
Most other boards, ply, osb i think are easy to get/use, but will they last, what are the associated problems with them. Ply we know can de-laminate, osb is pretty much a disposable material, so maybe not the best stuff for the job.

It seems sometimes we are scrabbling around trying to replace something(solid) that works very very well with something that doesnt.

Stick to solid Phil, make up the panels in tulipwood or such. You know its going to last decades. No point throwing good money after bad.

Well the obvious thing to do would be to cover it with membrane and then battens and then clad it with tongue and groove or composite or whatever like what happens most of the time. But I'm assuming the OP is looking for a simpler / cheaper solution i.e. some sort of durable sheet good that can be just screwed on. Osb and ply are not durable outside so don't tick the boxes.

If you do go for one of the 'cladded' options then please note you will need to think about how you hinge the door, you may well need parliament hinges to bring the pivot point forward.

Or you could I suppose clad the door in Zinc plated steel sheet, bolted through with coach bolts for added security as well.
Perhaps use ply with the zinc as a facing in the grooves?

i think a lot of the comments underestimate/understate the durability of OSB.

I think it would hold up for the purpose stated pretty well.

The thing I would think about is the bottom part of each OSB panel where it is (presumably) housed in the rails of the door(s). This will swell and ultimately cause rot (in the rail, if not the panel), because the OSB panel is not smooth. So I would be aiming to seal the slot/groove etc housing the panel to avoid moisture travelling there.

Cheers

Hi Phil
I've used it many times in construction situations, usually 9mm and it's always lasted far longer than I would have expected. One very involved stable conversion lasted 2 years and I had around 20 sheets of bog standard stuff standing in all the inclement weather of the North east. I later reused it on other projects and found the only parts that had suffered were a couple of sheets that had been standing in a muddy ponded area over the winter and even then I only lost around a foot or so where it had swelled badly.

IMHO if you treat it with appropriate seal and paint, especially the bottom edges it will outlast both you and I.
I think you know that already really but just doing the belt and braces research to be sure.

How about decking boards wooden or composite seem to last a long time.

Last edited:
Back