feasability

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
What's the feasability of using OSB3 for exterior door panels? It's only for a shed, but I want it to last and the 18mm ply I've used later disintegrates while your're looking at it. Marine ply would be an extravagance, nice as it would be. Any other suggestions?

It'll last a good while painted. Plenty of hoardings to say so.

Makes a mess to be honest. Tricky really as the ply quality is useless. Thin feather edge in a rebate stapled then beaded?

I have some “temporary” garage doors made of OSB that have been in place for over 6 years 😳

I slapped some exterior emulsion on them - they get damp at the bottom where the 2/3 leaf sits on the concrete cill.

Remarkably they are holding up.

Coastal Cornwall.

Cheers

The temporary OSB skin on the outside of my workshop door finally disintegrated after 15 years - as it was temporary I never bothered to paint it. :LOL:
It is now replaced with tanalised, vertical, wooden boards with battens covering the joins.

Not sure which board type johnnyb is referring to?

I saw unpainted O.S.B. used as barn siding and after 20 years, it was weathered, but unbowed (literally). Facing south admittedly, but still going. It was demolished for housing.

I've already cut the m&t's for a two panel door.

I'll use 18mm OSB3, glued in with Semforite, Cuprinoled, oil based primed, undercoated (twice?) and glossed. Not having used OSB like this I'm just waithing for someone to tell why it won't work.:)

I'll use 18mm OSB3, glued in with Semforite, Cuprinoled, oil based primed, undercoated (twice?) and glossed. Not having used OSB like this I'm just waithing for someone to tell why it won't work.:)
I guess it all comes down to how exposed doors are. Driving rain will eventually destroy pretty much anything over time. Personally I’m not a fan off osb, chipboard or mdf but I’ve had to use them for various reasons..

Osb has many nooks and granny's that don't get painted and it really swells permanently in moisture. Mrmdf totally painted can be OK.

When I say OK I mean it can survive. Three spray coats of acrylic will seal it well.. I have used it once! The nest box hole panel is black painted mrmdf and been up 2 years.

Attachments

• 17129970203704858956627412102615.jpg
    17129970203704858956627412102615.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

I used Leyland garage floor paint and it's been brilliant on a chipboard flooring which had loads of condensation dripping on it last winter. Cured now with insulation in roof!

Back