Experts look away now - Cheapo eBay workbench?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those legs look awfully thin, will probably rack like crazy even under light planing. Maybe okay for some dilettante nonsense work, but if you're even half way serious about woodworking then it's just money down the toilet.

i wouldn't bother, you will end up it chasing down the room!

boss has one from his early days and its shocking!

adidat

You're assuming there's room for it to move in my overcrowded workshop :)

Right, off the radar.

You will probably want to strengthen it by inserting panels or cross diagonals on three sides unless you can attach it to the workshop wall in a fixed position, the rest looks ok for a starter. workout the costs and check if its large enough for your purposes.

I bought one when i was doing up a daughters house to use whilst the job was on then dispose of
Its very good for the price
screw a sheet of ply to the back legs stops racking
the vices are ok dogs are useable
the top was flat

I built a nice bench for my workshop
that cost 10x plus a lot of work its not 2 x better in reality

Its ok if you on a budget and a little amount of work on the legs will sort them out

and when i moved it on I got more than i paid for it

Ian

At 1.2 meter wide and 50cm deep it's not very big. About size of a decent set of drawers to put it in perspective.

I've got an 8 x 4 workbench already and a couple of other benches, plus am making a metalworking bench in the coming weeks. Was just drawn to the price. I could easily mount it to a wall for rigidity.

Back on the radar again. I'll keep it in the watch list and maybe one day when I've finished messing around with the steel fab, pull the trigger.

Looks like an exercise in finger-jointing using scraps from a proper bench. :-D

While it does look a little flimsy I highly doubt you could buy the softwood and fitting to build that yourself. I reckon with an extra £25 spent on some extra bracing (or even just using scraps) and then either bolting to the floor or wall you could have yourself a really nice little bench and still have change from a hundred.

Rorschach":3anapqt2 said:
While it does look a little flimsy I highly doubt you could buy the softwood and fitting to build that yourself. I reckon with an extra £25 spent on some extra bracing (or even just using scraps) and then either bolting to the floor or wall you could have yourself a really nice little bench and still have change from a hundred.

Yep, that's what I thought originally.

I was just wondering in case anyone had one and was able to tell me if the vices are made from parmesan.

braced on three sides and several hundredweight on the shelf and it might be sturdy enough to last a month, hee hee. Man up and build one from scratch to last. I actually looked at one of these in the recycling center they wanted £5 for it and I wouldn't even pay that.

Wildman":2gz42lo5 said:
braced on three sides and several hundredweight on the shelf and it might be sturdy enough to last a month, hee hee. Man up and build one from scratch to last.

I am, out of 30mm box section and 6mm plate. That'll last.

It's small, only 20" front to back. Probably worth buying and making your own heavy base then extend the top in both directions, or take the vices off and make a bigger bench with heavier legs, or buy two decent vices and make a bench. Hope that helps.

First thoughts..

Oak furniture land makes workbench shocker (torrid details on page 3 next to busty brenda)

Buy one, distress the granny out of it and sell it to a trendy clothes shop for their latest display - if drew whotsit is anything to go by you will make 10 x profit.

No skills":hrx5em3q said:
First thoughts..

Oak furniture land makes workbench shocker (torrid details on page 3 next to busty brenda)

Buy one, distress the granny out of it and sell it to a trendy clothes shop for their latest display - if drew whotsit is anything to go by you will make 10 x profit.

I could make more by telling them it was distressed, but I've cleaned it up. It's all the rage.

Latest posts

Back