Project Noxom- A n0legs production

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0legs

Established Member
Reaction score
You know The Ten Commandments? The one about "thou shalt not covet", or something like that?
Well I have sinned and I did "covet" a Moxon style vice, but at £130 plus for the hardware kit, well to put it lightly it could stay there in the shop :shock:
So not being the type of guy to give up this "coveting" easily I decided a little "back street mechanicing"( thank you Mr Dibnah for that line) was in order :lol:

In this little lot there's the hardware for a Moxon.

m8Up2msm.jpg

I can "find" most things, but a pair of handwheels was a little difficult. So to the bay of plenty and after letting Mr Wong in HK have some of my hard earned, I ended up with a pair of these.

WqL1F8lm.jpg

Some M18 stud/all thread was obtained (don't ask about why M18, I like it okay!) ( Okay I'll tell ya', I snapped Mr M16 and lost somewhere ((see loaned out, never returned :evil:)) Mr M20 ((( actually I know which dickless POS has it, but that'll just end in tears. For him , no no no, not me [-X ))) and it's quite common in my line of work).

I've seen some various designs of these Moxon things and one thing I wanted to avoid was the normal locking nuts at the rear. I wanted to be able to mount the vice and not have to get down on the floor messing about with a spanner to lengthen the bars.
I couldn't find a bit of brass big enough to turn down and with my mates lathe being somewhat fubar, this was seeming to be a bit of a stumbling block for that idea :roll:
Not beaten yet! A few 5/8 BSW brass nuts and a few 1" brass washers and we're in business.
I bored out the nuts to 15.5mm then tapped a nice new 18mm thread. All good so far.

cE8uwQZm.jpg

1H45Ae3m.jpg

I quickly "turned/machined" a little shoulder on the nuts so they fitted the internal dia of the washers, this was for location more than anything else. I was pleasantly surprised how easy this was to do. I'd done some hand turning of metals when I was an apprentice, but that was in a proper workshop set up for the task. I now have to sharpen one of my turning chisels, no biggie. This is one of the benefits of coming from an industry where the words "no" or "can't be done" hold no weight, get it done. End of.

1H45Ae3m.jpg

kAw5iJNm.jpg

EwDf9n1m.jpg

gK7VZRom.jpg

Now, "the man who cleans is the man who solders" is what my old instructor used to say and to be honest he's right. I'm not a stranger to soldering, part of my trade you see, so getting these two lovely bits of brass joined in some kind of matrimony was not going to be a problem 8)
Get the metal clean first, then flux immediately to stop any oxidation. Choose a suitable solder, we're going with plumbers metal (type H if you prefer) and away we go.

VW9ds1Qm.jpg

PmIOzB1m.jpg

How am I going to hold this?? #-o
Drill a hole in a scrap block of wood, tap it, then wind in an offcut of stud/all thread. Place washer over and wind on nut, clamp them up tight and now, away we go.

dqYWHlOm.jpg

Get it nice and hot, flux during for luck and work the solder into the joint. All done, solid.
Why plumbers metal? Well it's an excellent all round solder, it will go with lead, copper, brass (obviously), steel and bronze. It's fairly easy to work, no crazy heat and its really quite tough. I once saw an 8T substation dragged about 1.5-2 metres by a Hymac, when he'd caught one of my lovely HV cables. The cable was secured to the substation via a brass gland that was sweated to the cable outer sheath, the gland and sheath stayed together like a lovesick couple. I digress, back on point :lol:

unJDAmTm.jpg

cFe1MQpm.jpg

Back onto the lathe for a little more "machining" and a quick rub with a file and these are done. Nearly!

iRs02hCm.jpg

MB1yqn1m.jpg

D8xxaCvm.jpg

vKwND72m.jpg

Out with the protractor and pillar drill and a few holes were drilled for the securing of said nuts to the rear jaw of soon to be lovely jubbly vice.

97Yv2sAm.jpg

Well it appears Mr Wong didn't send me two of his best handwheels. The centre bore was decidedly not concentric, not to the hub or the rim :roll: . This will not do Mr Wong!! But sending them back considering what I paid was out of the question, they needed some enlargement anyway.

5QjpKrDm.jpg

A tip I learned, if you have to bore out somehting that's predrilled, you can use an end mill to try and start again. Trouble with that, is down here in the land of n0legs there's no end mills in the armoury, but we do have some rubbish router bits. They're carbide, right!!
Well, chuck up the handwheel and chuck up a dovetail bit (I have no idea why I settled on this one, I really don't. It just seemed right). This is one of those bits from one of those cutter sets that are like £10 for 40 bits. You know they're going to be cr4p, they are cr4p, but they're so cheap you think "why not?". This is one of the last ones from that set, so no big loss if it goes **** up.

jGmTh6Jm.jpg

SITgxrDm.jpg

Well it worked, or worked well if you like! Slowly advancing the bit into the cast iron, (and let's remember this is some of China's finest cast), along with a good dose of oil now and again, a hole more concentric than earlier is the result. Not bad, even if I say so myself :D

A3OqT5Cm.jpg

These need boring out to the required 15.5mm ready for tapping to the oh so lush M18 I crave.

mQme5LYm.jpg

wTKUwaNm.jpg

ooCivqgm.jpg

Well with that little adventure under our belt we're at this point :D

7OA9NEKm.jpg

The two "retained" brass nuts will be held on the inside face of the rear jaw with some CSK stainless M5 screws. It might seem like a faff but it's definitely the way I want to go.
I got a pair of oilite bushes, in the correct size, to insert in the front jaw of the vice for the handwheels to run up against when clamping. I think they'll work well and look quite nice.
I suppose I'd better go get some wood sorted now.

Hope you're enjoying it so far :D

What a project and write up so far !!! I gulped when I saw the solder, until I realised you were turning off the excess [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] It's truly fascinating watching you assembling the parts. Looking forward to seeing the next instalment !

Coley

ColeyS1":1x12q9k3 said:
What a project and write up so far !!! I gulped when I saw the solder, until I realised you were turning off the excess [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] It's truly fascinating watching you assembling the parts. Looking forward to seeing the next instalment !

Coley

Cheers Coley :D
keeps me from getting bored, and when n0legs gets bored things start to go a bit silly :lol:

I can't believe the money some stuff costs, so I get off my a$$ and give it a go.
I'm into this little project a grand total of £24. Happy days 8)

Crikey o riley, a whole £24 ! That's a massive saving. I'm off to Google moxon vice, to see if I need one.
I do like those handwheels. I paid quite a bit for a second hand one from the u.k. Surprising how much cheaper stuff is if you're willing to wait for shipping from h.k

Coley

phil.p":2qtmpqki said:
I had to have a look - if only to find out what a "Noxom" was. :D
Very nice so far.

Cheers Phil =D>
You know me, never gonna' be "normal" :lol:

phil.p":rl1gjz6p said:
I did find this a while ago, worth a look even if only for the eye watering prices -
w.wdsltd.co.uk/product/3690/aluminium-hand-wheel-spoked-pilot-bore-wds-8179/

Beggar!!
Didn't know they come in stainless. I got a thing about stainless, dear though.
Good link Phil, stored him for later.

What had your Chinese friend put on the handwheels? Until you said "steel," I'd thought them to be aluminium. You've done some sneaky polishing of the rims too, haven't you? It certainly looks smoother and shinier than in the first pics.

I loved the initial hole in the "middle" - noticed it in the first pic and thought "that'll be fun!" Neat solution. Did the cutter survive?

Can't wait to see what special rare and coveted wood is chosen for this... :)

Really fun, do keep it up.

E.

Very interesting indeed. I looked around for bits to do the same but certainly never found cheap handwheels.
Any links for Mr Wong? Or am i wong to ask?

Great stuff, n0legs =D> I'm going to do something very similar, when I get a round tuit.....

Excellent. Even if you don't have half the gear and more importantly even a shadow of the idea that you have threads like this are fountain of knowledge for beginners like me. Keep it up mate.
BTW are they right handed threads? Because you know... two rights don't make a wong. :D

Eric The Viking":c3p92laj said:
What had your Chinese friend put on the handwheels? Until you said "steel," I'd thought them to be aluminium. You've done some sneaky polishing of the rims too, haven't you? It certainly looks smoother and shinier than in the first pics.

I loved the initial hole in the "middle" - noticed it in the first pic and thought "that'll be fun!" Neat solution. Did the cutter survive?

Can't wait to see what special rare and coveted wood is chosen for this... :)

Really fun, do keep it up.

E.

Thanks for the comments ETV :D

I was expecting the worst the moment I clicked the BIN, but in all fairness apart from the whole hole issue (non issue really) the handwheels in the pic are exactly as they arrived :shock:
The extra shine can only be where I wiped the "cutting" oil (Magnatec 5w30 :lol: ) off. Marks out of 10, I'd give them a 7. Anyways they're probably the same as many UK retailers supply, just less cost and longer waiting time.
I'm thinking of painting the hub and spokes black at a later date, then I'll give the the rims a little polish.

The cutter? Well it would cut again, probably only butter, but it did really well :lol:

I'm thinking Beech for the jaws. I saw a lovely piece at the timber yard on my last visit. In fact I think it's some of the same Berncarpenter had for his planes a while back.

Monkey Mark":242y4zpy said:
Very interesting indeed. I looked around for bits to do the same but certainly never found cheap handwheels.

Cheers Mark :D
Here's the link to Mr Wong's emporium of East Asian Delights :lol:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... 7&_sacat=0

For the money, now I have them, I don't think you can go wong :lol:

DTR":1fon7id1 said:
Great stuff, n0legs =D> I'm going to do something very similar, when I get a round tuit.....

Cheers Dave :D
You, you lucky begger have a metalworking lathe and seem to have become quite the master of it :wink:
We'll be expecting great things from you :lol:

Bm101":323pj45a said:
Excellent. Even if you don't have half the gear and more importantly even a shadow of the idea that you have threads like this are fountain of knowledge for beginners like me. Keep it up mate.
BTW are they right handed threads? Because you know... two rights don't make a wong. :D

Cheers BM :D
Thanks for the comments =D>
Yes they're right handed, maybe I should do one left and one right :lol: Nah!! I'll be in a mess on hangover sundays :lol:

n0legs":4i330u3v said:
Monkey Mark":4i330u3v said:

Cheers Mark :D
Here's the link to Mr Wong's emporium of East Asian Delights :lol:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... 7&_sacat=0

For the money, now I have them, I don't think you can go wong :lol:
Cheers, nice price. I'll be watching with interest.

Looking good n0legs, I haven't got a metalwork lathe, no room and no funds! Shame really cos I would love to make a moxon vice. If ever you get bored let me know, I have an idea how you could make a few quid!!! :wink:
Thanks for the WIP.

Stew

Baldhead":1cp5gg8o said:
Looking good n0legs, I haven't got a metalwork lathe, no room and no funds! Shame really cos I would love to make a moxon vice. If ever you get bored let me know, I have an idea how you could make a few quid!!! :wink:
Thanks for the WIP.

Stew

Thanks Stew :D
If I can get this one working (and maybe looking good) I'd certainly entertain a couple of favours. Time is at a premium at the mo', so I'm fitting all my "playing" in around life. Let's see how we get on :D

Latest posts

Back