Duplicate photo removal software

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisnw

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening,

I'm lying up following an operation so aside from dreamily searching on the interweb for a bandsaw, I am trying to backup old photos from the family's 2 laptops to an old desktop computer.

Both my wife and I have a load of the same photographs but we have named them differently when we put them on our respective laptops. I'm now trying to search for duplicates but I'm worried about messing up. Does anyone have any experience of any software than searches for duplicates? I've googled and found some software that seems to fit the bill, but wondered if anyone on UKW has any recomendations?

Cheers

Chris

Possibly put them all in the same folder then "view" "details" and sort by size. the duplicate phots possibly have exactly the same file size and you can look at them before deleting.

I did say possibly #-o

This is a problem which I often have. So I did a bit of research and came up with this.

Duplicate Cleaner from http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/download/dc_down.html

To test it I created a folder with an image file and the same file but renamed. OK ! That's the same image with different names. I told Duplicate Cleaner to find files with the same content and pointed it at the folder. It reported that two files have duplicates, this took me back a bit but then I figured it out. Duplicate Cleaner considered each file (2 off) to have a duplicate.
I cannot guarantee that this is a good program but I saw it recommended and Hey it worked. If you try it don't delete the originals until you are happy with the results.

Get well soon. xy

Thanks for the replies and well wishes.

I'll give your suggestion a look xy. It looks similar to some others I have found.

Cheers, Chris

Do the photos have a creation date that is set by time? When the photo was taken?

A combination of size, date created, resolution and bit depth should allow you to wipe them all out.

Its where a unix system would really help, you could write a little grep code in minutes to do the job for you but not sure how you'd do such a thing in windows.

Back