Drawers and draws.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I was in Mass. & visited Plymouth or Plimoth whichever

And went to the Plimoth plantation which is a rather nice Early European settlers theme park.

I specifically went because there is a woodworker (http://pfollansbee.wordpress.com/) there using 17th centrury tools - me being me I picked the day he wasn't there :roll:

Anyways, I got talking to a lady who was an expert in early USA "language" and I was mildly joshing her about American English. However she maintained (and with backup) that certain USA english words (& their spellings) are actually more "original", as what we use this side of the pond was supsequently corrupted by mainland European language. I since read up a bit on this and do you know - She is correct! :shock:

That doesn't surprise me. At the turn of the last century and into the first World War, Cecil Sharp and Maud Karpeles, who were collectors of traditional English folk song and dance, made several trans-Atlantic trips to collect dances and songs from Appalachia. They reasoned that Appalachia was so difficult to access that their traditions would not have been exposed to foreign influences since the time of the original settlement.

Mike Garnham":1zmxclh4 said:
Grinding One":1zmxclh4 said:
While visiting the Southern States I suggest not making fun of their language

Their language?

Mike

As in I do not speak slang with a drawl,they can pick you out of a crowd 20 ft away.Ever watch the Movie Deliverance,Dueling Banjos?? I ran into that crowd this past year during Holidays.And yes they still dress that way too if you are wondering...they are really laid back up in those hills.Oh and mine your P`s and Q`s they still have an eye out for Government people (they still make corn mash)

Thing you don't realise is that in our eyes, you're all like that G1.

Grinding One":2lscfj3u said:
Mike Garnham":2lscfj3u said:
Grinding One":2lscfj3u said:
While visiting the Southern States I suggest not making fun of their language

Their language?

Mike

As in I do not speak slang with a drawl,they can pick you out of a crowd 20 ft away.Ever watch the Movie Deliverance,Dueling Banjos?? I ran into that crowd this past year during Holidays.And yes they still dress that way too if you are wondering...they are really laid back up in those hills.Oh and mine your P`s and Q`s they still have an eye out for Government people (they still make corn mash)

Well we've forgotten what P's and Q's are. Since we got the metric system I now have to pop out for a quick 568ml or 284ml if I'm in a hurry.

I think BradNaylor had it about right when he said that people who write "draws" instead of Drawers " are thick"
Rather than thick though, i would say "unread" and so speak as they hear, which is an indication of poor education, lack of attention and a less than perfect knowledge of the subject in hand. Thank God they are not surgeons.
I note that many prefer to make light of this tendency ( which extends to much more than just spelling drawers wrongly) and the defence mechanism of inverted snobbery kicks in with a vengeance.
I have no doubt that there will be those that are all too eager to respond to this view with patronising platitudes suggesting I " lighten up" and so on and that it is not important as long as we manage to make each other understood and it sounds the same whichever way you may spell it.
But so does Their and there and where and wear but they mean different things do they not? So if you are giving written instruction, or hoping to clarify an issue, then surely the word should be unambiguous, pertinent and most of all , correct.
I find it difficult to have any confidence in the meaning or indeed sincerity of any communication that displays such basic ignorance in not establishing that what they write is what they mean, and rightly or wrongly I believe anyone who cannot discern a value in the difference is a lesser person for it. and probably not a surgeon, and certainly an unfit person to write a technical manual or give instruction in other than the use of crayons. ( or should that be cranes?)

Ps and Qs - not to do with pints and quarts. It refers to typesetting, where as you know the typesetter has to pick letters out of the case which are reversed, so that they print the right way round. It is very easy to confuse the lower case p and q, so they had to take extra care with those letters - to mind their ps and qs.

Mike Garnham":1n1itqck said:
Grinding One":1n1itqck said:
Ever watch the Movie Deliverance

"Squeal like a pig, boy.........squeal like a pig"

Classic film......

Mike

111595851146efa2dd6db64-2.gif
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys are very good.
I taught myself to cut a straight line in wood...
No formal education in woodwork,but I can read a rule!

Smudger":3evrbn5u said:
Ps and Qs - not to do with pints and quarts. It refers to typesetting, where as you know the typesetter has to pick letters out of the case which are reversed, so that they print the right way round. It is very easy to confuse the lower case p and q, so they had to take extra care with those letters - to mind their ps and qs.

You can learn something new here every day! Thanks

Streepips":1ipbu23l said:
... and it sounds the same whichever way you may spell it.
But so does Their and there and where and wear but they mean different things do they not?

That's interesting. Where and wear don't sound the same when I say them. There's an aspirated h in where whereas (aspirated h again) there isn't in wear. You're not originally from dahn the sahrf of Ingerland are you where phrases and words like lor'n'order, dror (for draw) or drorer (for drawer) crop up quite frequently, ha, ha-- ha, ha, ha? Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":3b6jkk8t said:
Streepips":3b6jkk8t said:
... and it sounds the same whichever way you may spell it.
But so does Their and there and where and wear but they mean different things do they not?

That's interesting. Where and wear don't sound the same when I say them. There's an aspirated h in where whereas (aspirated h again) there isn't in wear. You're not originally from dahn the sahrf of Ingerland are you where phrases and words like lor'n'order, dror (for draw) or drorer (for drawer) crop up quite frequently, ha, ha-- ha, ha, ha? Slainte.

Shades of Stewie! How do you say whipped cream?

Streepips

What about dislexic people are they all "unread"?

You seem to think that its easy to spell.

Your last sentance
I believe anyone who cannot discern a value in the difference is a lesser person for it. and probably not a surgeon, and certainly an unfit person to write a technical manual or give instruction in other than the use of crayons. ( or should that be cranes?)
makes me beleve that you are just a pompus *******.

This is a WOODWORKING forum not a spelling and grammer test, so take it from a dislexic you are discriminating aganst me and probbaly a lot of people on this forum (we tend to have good hand skills)

Pete

Actually Pete, I really don't think spelling has much to do with Dyslexia (speaking as someone who has also been diagnosed as one, many moons ago).

So how should that word be spelt is it Dyslexic or is it Dislexic

Hi, Wizer

'tiz with me, I just can't remember the sequence the letters go in or work out how thing should be spelt. I get things so wrong the spell checker can't correct it, google is good at spell checking but usually I give up and use simpler words. I use the thesarus to find out if I have used the right meaning of word.

Its a hell I face every day, so when some one harps on about spelling and how stupid people are thet don't get it right it rubs me up the wrong way.

Pete

Back