drawer runner positions for tall "drawers"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dephill

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello chaps and chapettes,

Advice and opinions needed please.

I'm building some under stairs storage using every square inch of the space, I have designed it all on cad and the general shapes, heights of drawers etc are fairly set in stone.
There are a few tall drawers containing shelves. these are going on heavy duty runners.
Two of the runners will go on the sides at the bottom of the drawers andI have planned to do one more runner nearer the top for stability.
Ideally the main runners would be higher up but they can't be due to design restraints.
The drawers will be fairly heavy with dinnerware, mixers, blenders, tinned goods etc

Question is:
Where is the optimal position for the stabilising runner?
On a very tall drawer like a pantry it would go horizontally at the top.
For these drawers it would be easiest if it could just go vertically at the top of one side but will this work as well/nearly as well?

Some pictures follow showing the design and a sketch of possible locations.
The red rectangles are the main runners and can't change much.
The green rectangles are showing different options - only one of these per tall drawer.

thanks in advance,
Nick

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 10.26.50.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 10.28.17.png
Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 11.21.55.png

edit:
should say "only real option on this drawer"

I did something similar a few years ago (Understairs Storage). I placed a third drawer runner about three quarters of the way up on the two tall drawers which has been fine. My choice from your options above would be the one labelled "easiest". It would be very stable and certainly the most aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks “pulleyt”
That is the answer I was hoping for.
I’ll wait and see if anyone has any other views (!lol!) but I’m probably going with that.

I did something similar a few years ago (Understairs Storage). I placed a third drawer runner about three quarters of the way up on the two tall drawers which has been fine. My choice from your options above would be the one labelled "easiest". It would be very stable and certainly the most aesthetically pleasing.
Also I just looked at your thread, great project and very similar to what I'm doing except some different dimensions and techniques. (including an ironing board/vacuum cleaner cupboard)

Back