Drawers behind cabinet door.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertom44

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm building a new mitre station with cabinets underneath for extra storage.

They are frameless cabinets just made out of plywood.

I want to install trays on drawer runners but I want a door in front.

Are there hinges that will open in a way that the door is out of the way allowing the trays to extend out?

I could inset the runners but I'd prefer not to for a cleaner look.

PXL_20230828_130802753.jpg

If you are installing inset doors with simple butt hinges then the doors would have to open 180 degrees to give you full clearance. You can install a spacer for the drawer runners the same thickness or slightly more than the thickness of the doo then the door only has to open to 90
If you are installing planted on doors and they are the same thickness as your cabinet sided then simple butt hinges will allow you to open the drawers with the doors opened to 90 degrees

If you are installing inset doors with simple butt hinges then the doors would have to open 180 degrees to give you full clearance. You can install a spacer for the drawer runners the same thickness or slightly more than the thickness of the doo then the door only has to open to 90
If you are installing planted on doors and they are the same thickness as your cabinet sided then simple butt hinges will allow you to open the drawers with the doors opened to 90 degrees

What are planted on doors?

A door can either be fitted inside the cabinet frame so when you look at the front you see thedge of the cabinet and the door fitted inside . This is the more traditional way of doing this. The knuckle of the butt hinges is visible
Planted on doors are fitted over the front of the carcase so you only see the door. This is generally the way kitchen cabinets are done, If using butt hinges, the knuckle would be visible from the side of the cabinet

Overlay doors, in my experience, is the most often heard description for 'planted' doors as described by others above. Perhaps the planted or overlay nomenclature preference is down to workshop custom or regional variation. Slainte.

Overlay doors, in my experience, is the most often heard description for 'planted' doors as described by others above. Perhaps the planted or overlay nomenclature preference is down to workshop custom or regional variation. Slainte.
As a sort of PS, I suddenly remembered later today that it's quite common to come across 'planted' drawer fronts, i.e., a four sided drawer box, usually out of uninteresting wood or board material to which is fixed a fancier drawer front, e.g., an attractive hardwood or a veneered front of some sort.

So, common usage I'm familiar with is 'overlay' doors and 'planted' drawer fronts. I'm not saying my usage is the the correct usage and anyone who uses alternative terminology is wrong. Just thought I'd mention it, though. Slainte.

Blum (or similar) hinges have versions which open beyond 90 degrees, and if fitted correctly may allow a draw to clear the open door?

Back