Drawers and draws.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In one respect, a drawer is another name for an artist.
:D

A chest of draws sounds ok by me.
If a drop-leaf can be called a 'fall', (Heard on the Antiques Road show from John Bly one evening) then why not call a drawer a draw?
But don't forget, those 'Murricans sometimes just like to be different from us. That's why they use the word fit instead of fitted:

Fit-carpets
Fit-wardrobes
fit-out.

:lol:

Sgian Dubh":27n6pazv said:
You're not originally from dahn the sahrf of Ingerland are you where phrases and words like lor'n'order, dror (for draw) or drorer (for drawer).

Well excuse me........

but I fink you'll find there's no 'h' in sarf.

Smudger":2m0prteo said:
But also the language - the special use of 'product', 'sum', 'similar' - all of these make access to mathematical concepts much easier, but an uninitiated person would find them baffling.

Well the 'Wicked Witch of Weakest' seems to think that 'product, sum and factor' should be generally known. Questions framed around these expressions crop up all the time.

Yes I do watch Afternoon TV! This programme is a soporific and I like a late-afternoon nap!

:D
John

woodbloke":28a9yi35 said:
Benchwayze":28a9yi35 said:
fit-out.

John - good job you hit the 'i' and not the 'a' there :lol: :lol: - Rob

Hey Rob...

Since I left the hospital I lost 2.5 stones. Great innit! Down to all that walking the surgeon advised I think.

Regards
John :D

studders":hqp5heio said:
Well excuse me........

but I fink you'll find there's no 'h' in sarf. :lol:

You could be right studders. I simply made a guess at the speeling (sic), ha, ha. Slainte.

Sgian,
As for a southern dialect, no.
Leeds born and bred.
Studied at furniture design and construction at Jacob Kramer college.

Streepips":ibd3jj2g said:
Sgian,
As for a southern dialect, no.
Leeds born and bred.
Studied at furniture design and construction at Jacob Kramer college.

That's interesting. Slainte.

Latest posts

Back