Double Stickery Tape?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. Obviously I had a bad experience with the B&Q stuff.

Mark I totally forgot about your company :roll: Some of that proper industrial stuff would be good for occasional jobs on the CNC. No rush on it, let me know if\when you got it.

I use double sided Sellotape for flattening chisel and plane irons.....

You want to use an Abrasive of some sort really, much quicker.

Yeh I didn't get that, do you mean you stick the abrasive down with them?

It's really fast - you just pull the rounded edge straight off with the tape :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use it for scary sharp back flattening:

I found that it was a royal pain in the bottom. I've got rather bad finger joints, and the action of flattening is especially not comfy. Also, the smaller the chisel, the harder it is not to end up with it shiny but rounded, by rocking it accidentally instead of sliding it over the paper. The d/s tape is for a small block as an improvised handle, stuck to the chisel or plane iron's bevelled side. Most of my chisels are trapeziums rather than triangles in cross-section, so there's a small but handy flat bit in the middle.

It gives better control, I can put more pressure on at the pointy end, where it matters most, and it doesn't hurt half as much! It's really useful for bullnose/rebate plane irons and spokeshaves too, as they tend to be small and awkward shaped pieces of metal.

As for the actual W+D paper, Spray Mount onto thick glass works a treat for me, with a wallpaper seam roller to make sure it's really flat and well stuck down.

Eric The Viking":2sgz8upa said:

I found that it was a royal pain in the bottom.

Can't help feeling you're not doing it quite right.

:lol:

Nobbut, I'm with you on the finger pain bit. Mine lock up if I press too hard for too long.

studders":3lre1d3c said:
Eric The Viking":3lre1d3c said:

I found that it was a royal pain in the bottom.

Can't help feeling you're not doing it quite right.

:lol:

I thought I'd sat down a bit quick... was certainly scary though.

:oops:

Well... on the (w)hole it's not too bad that d/s tape stuff! :wink:

More seriously Unibond or somebody have a roughly 1mm thick and 12mm wide double sided sticky tape out under the No More Nails brand for permanently sticking things to walls. Its basically like a flexible/almost soft polyurethane tape.

It's quite expensive and not what you want for sharpening and lots of other jobs because of the thickness, but it sticks like twittery and is very good on irregular surfaces where normal D/S tape will only contact the high spots.

I've bought double sided adhesive coated film in sheet form before in a graphics shop, probably better than tape for sharpening as there's no risk of a ridge as at the edge of a line of tape...

A touch of a hair dryer or heat gun can in cases where the heat can get through be useful to make it easy to lift most of these sticky things - as well as prevent the tear out you can if unlucky sometimes get on wood. Works well too i gather to shift spray contact adhesive off glass when you stick abrasive papers down for sharpening...

I used to buy mine from Toolstation (cheaper than the one you linked to, Tom). For a few years, it was fine. But, more recently, I've found the new rolls aren't quite as good... They don't seem to stick as well and they also leave a mess on the timber - I know, that sounds like a contradiction! :D

Also, being 2in wide, I find it's too wide for a lot of jobs (maybe I should stick a roll through my bandsaw... :shock:). I bought a 25mm roll from Isaac Lord last year and it's been brilliant; much better than the stuff from Toolstation, quite cheap too.

Back