CSI: Miami ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Last night's episode started with one of the cops having a large nail sticking out of his eye! Turns out he's been shot with a nail gun!
Not one to watch if you already have a (healthy) fear of nail guns!
All good fun though - anyone watch it?
Cheers
Gidon

Yes, I watched it (sadly somewhat addicted to all the CSIs :oops: )

The usual gory close-ups later revealed that it wasn't in the eye but in the bone of the eye socket. So that's all right then :shock:

Handtool content: the surgeon pulled it with a pair of pliers, no anaesthetic!

The investigators also missed the fact that the first nailgun they found couldn't have been the murder weapon. The nails were fired from a distance and the gun needed a broken safety to allow it to fire in that mode (they later made specific comment on the actual murder weapon having a broken safety). Told you I was sad :D

I've only recently started watching CSI Miami - only seen one CSI NY and don't think I've seen the original one. Horatio is quite a character! Makes us laugh.
Makes Midsomer Murders seem a little primitive!
Do we have a similiar concept to CSI in the UK?
Pete - you definately should a apply for a job with Horatio:).
Cheers
Gidon

Pete W":1aywjgt1 said:
Yes, I watched it (sadly somewhat addicted to all the CSIs :oops: )

The usual gory close-ups later revealed that it wasn't in the eye but in the bone of the eye socket. So that's all right then :shock:

Handtool content: the surgeon pulled it with a pair of pliers, no anaesthetic!

The investigators also missed the fact that the first nailgun they found couldn't have been the murder weapon. The nails were fired from a distance and the gun needed a broken safety to allow it to fire in that mode (they later made specific comment on the actual murder weapon having a broken safety). Told you I was sad :D

I'm addicted too.

Actually you can fire from a distance, with an intact safety. (Not speaking from experience, mind you.) :oops: You can pull back the safety from the side by hand. Sometimes you need to do that, if you don't want to drive the nail all the way in (I.e. want to remove it later).

Brad

CSI (it's based in Las Vegas), CSI Miami (the best) and CSI NY. All excellent programmes. Horatio is one cool dude. Remember him in NYPD? Missed the nailgun episode but it'll be on Sky shortly no doubt. I like some of the other CSI people too (if you know what I mean...).
I discovered another programme which is as good as the CSI series, NCIS (think it's Naval Criminal Investigation Service or something). Same idea as CSI with Mark Harman (remember him?) but it has a wider diversity of characters on the investigation team. It's on one of the RTE channels (irish channel available on SKY) and also on FX on SKY. Never heard of FX but found it on SKY lastnight.
I know, we'll all sad...

Noel

Noel - I've still got last night's episode if - you want it please PM me your address.
My brother-in-law was raving about NCIS - it's on channel 5 I think? Still we just about manage to keep up with CSI Miami - let alone the other CSI's so I'll have to give NCIS a miss for now ...
Cheers
Gidon

Hi Gidon, appreciate your offer but I'm sure it's be on again shortly. There's 2 episodes (sometime 3) every night on Living TV so no worries.
And thank's for the heads up on Channel 5, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks

Noel

Noel":1cqs2msu said:
Hi Gidon, appreciate your offer but I'm sure it's be on again shortly. There's 2 episodes (sometime 3) every night on Living TV so no worries.

Thanks

Noel
Not with a nail gun I hope! :shock:

gidon":1eq5kexm said:
A "similar concept" - crikey, I hope not! The thought of so-called investigators wandering all over a crime scene with no thought about the principle of cross-contamination makes me smile (once the defence can suggest that forensic evidence is contaminated, it ruins the chain of continuity of evidence, which loses prosecutions in the worst cases).

What we do have are teams of mainly civilian ("support staff" as they are now known) Scene Investigators (formerly known as Scenes of Crime Officers, or SOCOs, who were mainly police officers), trained to log and correctly preserve/photograph evidence. This evidence is then processed by a number of Forensic Science laboratories throughout the country, which can be a lengthy job, as there tends to be quite a backlog.

Scene Investigators tend not to wear high heels, swish their shoulder-length hair about all over the place, use fantastically-expensive or dreamt-up equipment, or state the bl**ding obvious.

OK, rant over - it's only a TV programme, after all - but you did ask! :)

Ray.

Many years ago,when I was in the police,we were told of several "interesting" murder cases (whilst been shown videos of autopsies..) that at first glance were not obvious - like the rather large lady who had a stab wound hidden in the middle of rolls of flab.Or the man who had no obvious signs of ill deeds until they started shaving his head and amongst his hair,found the top of a knitting needle - the rest being impaled in his spinal column :shock:
And this was not that long after the Dr.Birkett murder case,when the murderer was the first person caught from fingerprints "developed" by cyanoacrylate fumes from the plastic carrier bag they were on,and shown up by different light filters.

Andrew

Ughh! I remember some of those video nasties from the Underwater search unit from my past. They made Hammer horror movies look tame! Most of them have stuck with me for many years especially one of a five year old boy lying at the bottom of a lake! :shock: Luckily I never did find anything like that. :(

Argee":n7o17ote said:
gidon":n7o17ote said:
A "similar concept" - crikey, I hope not! The thought of so-called investigators wandering all over a crime scene with no thought about the principle of cross-contamination makes me smile (once the defence can suggest that forensic evidence is contaminated, it ruins the chain of continuity of evidence, which loses prosecutions in the worst cases).

What we do have are teams of mainly civilian ("support staff" as they are now known) Scene Investigators (formerly known as Scenes of Crime Officers, or SOCOs, who were mainly police officers), trained to log and correctly preserve/photograph evidence. This evidence is then processed by a number of Forensic Science laboratories throughout the country, which can be a lengthy job, as there tends to be quite a backlog.

Scene Investigators tend not to wear high heels, swish their shoulder-length hair about all over the place, use fantastically-expensive or dreamt-up equipment, or state the bl**ding obvious.

OK, rant over - it's only a TV programme, after all - but you did ask! :)

Ray.

Hi Ray, a crowd of real SOCO people wearing Tyvek suits, waiting for weeks for forensic results? I prefer the high heels and the swishing hair, magically finding a hair or fibre with a quick shine of a ultra violet torch along with the 10 minute forensic analysis carried out on big plasma screens. Nobody would watch it otherwise. Hollywood? Great escapism from reality.

Noel

Over here we got NCIS before the other 3 CIS series and in the opinion of my TV expert better half, NCIS is by far the best.

It is also the one for Forum members as the main character Gibbs is a woodworker in his spare time.

This added a slight touch of realism as I seem to recall he was asked by a female character if his project would ever be finished, and by a junior cast member just how he was going to get his oversize woodworking project out of his basement shop...

Mike

I remember that Mike, think it was a boat. Something very large anyway. Agree with you NCIS is marginally superior to CSI. I like the mad, punk like girl in the lab. Good character.

Back