Creativity & Development of concepts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chill":2wdlkq3s said:
Hi, a very interesting and thought provoking thread, has certainly given me food for thought, thanks to Phillip for the briefs, and all the participants (especially Gordon) for sharing their ideas and developments, unfortunately work and family life prevent me from getting much time on the lathe at the moment, but my sketch book/notepad is filling up, so I am sure this will lead to some interesting work when time allows, the world is a different place when you look at things from various perspectives, and try to interpret what mother nature has given us and incorporate it into our work/hobbies and philosophies. Sorry for being so long winded :oops:

Thats only one short paragraph. Hopefully, you won't be alone in finding the thread interesting and useful. Although I still turn 'standard' stuff, this process has made me look at what I do in a new light and I now tend to put a piece of wood aside if it suggests a more 'creative' approach is possible.

Dangerous word 'creative'. I'm sure it means different things to many different people.

I'm sure we all look forward to the time when you can join in, lathe time is necessary for peace of mind. Never mind paying the mortgage and stuff, get turning.

Wood spoiler":27prcerc said:
:shock:

I would not have thought the latest pic was the same item.

I like the finished item from it's new perspective, whereas I saw the previous piccie as a collection of techniques but disparate

Well done. That moves it right along
=D> =D> =D>

Thanks Colin,

I spent about three hours on it today. Didn't involve doing much but just stared at it a bit, cleaned up a few bits of carving and added a few links here and there that seemed to pull it together. The tiny adjustments can make such a difference. Its so tempting to get a piece to an 'acceptable' state sometimes but a bit more time and contemplation can work wonders it seems.

I wonder what's next? If we can get a few more involved, this thread could run and run :D

gus3049":sa9earbx said:
Thanks Colin,

I spent about three hours on it today. Didn't involve doing much but just stared at it a bit, cleaned up a few bits of carving and added a few links here and there that seemed to pull it together. The tiny adjustments can make such a difference. Its so tempting to get a piece to an 'acceptable' state sometimes but a bit more time and contemplation can work wonders it seems.

I wonder what's next? If we can get a few more involved, this thread could run and run :D

Having now finished my competition vase and my midget sized??? Planter I have started on a piece inspired by Philip's "Balance" brief.

Hopefully report back soon.

My first piece inspired by the plant did not satisfy me as I did not like the finished item, but the positive was the use of filler, which has been filed away for future use.

chill":1y57xg2m said:
Hi, a very interesting and thought provoking thread, has certainly given me food for thought, thanks to Phillip for the briefs, and all the participants (especially Gordon) for sharing their ideas and developments, unfortunately work and family life prevent me from getting much time on the lathe at the moment, but my sketch book/notepad is filling up, so I am sure this will lead to some interesting work when time allows, the world is a different place when you look at things from various perspectives, and try to interpret what mother nature has given us and incorporate it into our work/hobbies and philosophies. Sorry for being so long winded :oops:

Good to hear we are getting into the psyche of others.

Additional input is most welcome. Although a woodturning thread, the nature of the thread will happily accept sketch ideas as well as physical ones.

Feel free to participate in any way you can

We finally found a way to photograph this pierced form to show the effect of light through it. Just the sun doing its thing, showing the natural colour and feel of the thing.

After the kittens had knocked it off the shelf (I told you that would happen........) we removed them and, finding that it had survived the fall, took a few from various sides.

My wife says that the last one looks like someone who has been shot in the head and isn't too happy about it :shock:

Attachments

• 100_2862.jpg
    100_2862.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 647
  • 100_2861.jpg
    100_2861.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 647
  • 100_2858.jpg
    100_2858.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 647
  • 100_2855.jpg
    100_2855.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 647
Balance

Well I have finally caught up with Phil's brief on balance and attach below my considered piece on the subject

The central theme is clearly putting objects in balance that clearly are not naturally so.

Leave it to you with greater understandings to see if I have achieved it

DSC01706.jpg

Wood spoiler":2wdr371g said:
Balance
Well I have finally caught up with Phil's brief on balance and attach below my considered piece on the subject
The central theme is clearly putting objects in balance that clearly are not naturally so.
Leave it to you with greater understandings to see if I have achieved it
Yikes :shock:

This is certainly heading you off in new directions. My first thought was that this was a rather literal interpretation of 'balance'. Then I stared a bit and of course, there are different possibilities involved here. If the objects are the same weight then the pivot point is way too far to the right but then, of course, they might not be the same weight so one begins to wonder what the various bits are made of. Then again, the individual items couldn't possibly stay the way they are placed so - are they glued on or is there a secret process known only the the wood spoiler here?

So all in all it is a thought provoking piece. As to whether it fits the brief, haven't got a clue. I suspect that some of us had better have a think about this and see what we can come up with for this bit of the brief. Ian? Anyone else?

Thanks for posting it Colin.

I`ve got some ideas ready to try.
Now that I`ve finished my vase for this month`s challenge, my next project will be to turn one of my ideas into something concrete (or should that be wood? :lol: ).

Ian

gus3049":y984sp72 said:
This is certainly heading you off in new directions. My first thought was that this was a rather literal interpretation of 'balance'. Then I stared a bit and of course, there are different possibilities involved here. If the objects are the same weight then the pivot point is way too far to the right but then, of course, they might not be the same weight so one begins to wonder what the various bits are made of. Then again, the individual items couldn't possibly stay the way they are placed so - are they glued on or is there a secret process known only the the wood spoiler here?

So all in all it is a thought provoking piece. As to whether it fits the brief, haven't got a clue. I suspect that some of us had better have a think about this and see what we can come up with for this bit of the brief. Ian? Anyone else?

Thanks for posting it Colin.

The idea was that the inverted pyramid of balls shouldn't be and as you picked up the counterbalance shouldn't work being so close to the fulcrum point that and it is all sat on a ball, it should be lying in a heap at the bottom. That was the bit I was trying to portray to challenge the concept of balance. As you picked up on the key features I guess I'll claim that one as a bit of a win (uch more so than my first effort).

Silverbirch":y984sp72 said:
I`ve got some ideas ready to try.
Now that I`ve finished my vase for this month`s challenge, my next project will be to turn one of my ideas into something concrete (or should that be wood? :lol: ).

Ian

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

gasmansteve":y984sp72 said:
Like where you`re going with these Colin, love pieces that make you think !
Steve

Thanks Steve. Anytime you want to join in and share on this theme you are more than welcome. (But I do think you are doing well on your own exploration in recent work)

I thought I'd have a go at the 'balance' brief.

Hah! :shock:

Being a bit obvious, I just turned a basic cylinder and then changed angle and centre to see what happened. What happened looked like one of those stone heads on Easter island. I was half way to the woodpile when, for some reason, I thought about how it could be rescued. I am still thinking about it but it certainly seems like 'a development of concept' to me. As the box is one of the bigger bits that doesn't have a crack right though it seems a shame to just chuck it without some attempt.

It will be interesting to see if an ugly duckling can be turned into a beautiful swan - or at least acceptably non horrid. It will just be a sculpture I think so I can be as 'artistic' as the mood takes me - good excuse anyway.

I have already started so cannot show the original but the shape still shows I think.

Watch this space :lol:

Attachments

• 100_2869.jpg
    100_2869.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 701
Maybe this sums up why this thread was started but my starting points appears to be the "obvious" as in my balance piece, managing only a small twist away from obviousness. But I can understand what you have started.

We are constrained by this being a Turning forum so you "obvious" away and keep on with what you are doing. All good stuff for those of us (read me) that haven't any Art to draw on

Wood spoiler":sqgernil said:
Maybe this sums up why this thread was started but my starting points appears to be the "obvious" as in my balance piece, managing only a small twist away from obviousness. But I can understand what you have started.

We are constrained by this being a Turning forum so you "obvious" away and keep on with what you are doing. All good stuff for those of us (read me) that haven't any Art to draw on

Just because you don't have any 'art' to draw on doesn't mean you don't have any artistic ability, as is demonstrated by your turning.

Being exposed to a lifetime art and design may help formalise certain things and give you a database to draw against but it doesn't mean that those who haven't had that exposure are not able to display just as much talent.

I have been in 'design' all my life but that doesn't stop some on this forum finding my sense of aesthetics not to their taste. That Ok and quite normal as maybe the lifetime's exposure tends to close judgement rather than open it to the new.

I`ve been thinking about how I might interpret the idea of "balance".

I thought I might do something along these lines: (see scan)
a round bottomed bowl sitting on a pedestal which is dished at the top, with perhaps a small sphere (never turned one of those before!) resting inside the bowl.
The three elements would be separate, ie not fixed together, and hopefully would be in equilibrium and therefore balanced.
The fine details I`ll work out as I go along and will no doubt make other modifications to the basic idea.
Part of my reasoning is that if I publicly commit to it I`m more likely to get on and actually do it :)

Ian

balance 001.jpg

Attachments

• balance 001.jpg
    balance 001.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 661
Silverbirch":1ejh11nq said:
I`ve been thinking about how I might interpret the idea of "balance".

I thought I might do something along these lines: (see scan)
a round bottomed bowl sitting on a pedestal which is dished at the top, with perhaps a small sphere (never turned one of those before!) resting inside the bowl.
The three elements would be separate, ie not fixed together, and hopefully would be in equilibrium and therefore balanced.
The fine details I`ll work out as I go along and will no doubt make other modifications to the basic idea.
Part of my reasoning is that if I publicly commit to it I`m more likely to get on and actually do it :)

Ian

That looks interesting Ian.

Well I've started so I'll finish :shock:

I'm still not sure where this is going but the journey, I am told, is the important bit. Although it looks a mess at the moment, there is a slight glimmer of a vision of how it could look forming deep (very deep) in my subconscious. Quite how I am going too get there though, I haven't got a clue and it may not be possible. We shall see.

Attachments

• 100_2888.jpg
    100_2888.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 637
  • 100_2887.jpg
    100_2887.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 637
The last item has just been consigned to the fire pile. No matter what I did, nothing came of it and the piece remained an ugly lump of nothing.

Annoying to waste a good bit of box but its gonna happen from time to time. Move on and try another idea.

I have refrained from making comments so as not to influence conversations taking place on this thread. It has been brilliant to see how two or three people engaging with one another can help to make breakthroughs in thinking and doing.

Congratulations to Gordon for achieving the front cover of WOW with his first experimental piece.

Best wishes
Phil

Back