Creativity & Development of concepts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I am not being shy, I went to take a piccie of my piece and my camera seems to know it is coming up to pheasant shooting season and is acting plucked.

Mmmmmmmmm

I will carry on and post when I get it sorted.

Sorry

Here is my completed attempt at producing a piece based on the plant parts Phil posted.
selection.jpg

pyrovase.jpg

As I said in an earlier post, I focused on the central section of the plant which showed a pattern of raised spots.
I was trying to capture the muted colours, the pattern and texture.
The timber is lime, with pyrographed texture and acrylic paint stippled on for the spots.
I could just have turned a cylinder and experimented with the texturing etc on that, I suppose, but with an eye to this month`s challenge, I thought I might as well get in a little vase turning practice as well :)
What do you think?

Ian

Attachments

• selection.jpg
    selection.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 480
  • pyrovase.jpg
    pyrovase.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 480
I have been watching this thread with interest since it started, but I have not had the opportunity to contribute until now.

My first thoughts when reading the dictionary.com definitions of balance was to think about the opposite, and what happens when balance is removed. Which in turn got me to thinking about martial arts: in arts such as Aikido, Judo and Tai-Jitsu in order to make your opponent fall or move in the way that you want to you need to take control of their balance and move it to a point where they are off balance, but not so far that they fall. Then you can control them.

Taking this back to turning I have been thinking about shapes that are either balanced, but look unbalanced, or unbalanced but look balanced. The only one I really have formed in my head is a round bottomed piece, with the Ying and Yang symbols on the top surface. However instead of the top surface being flat, the Ying would be recessed and the Yang would be proud of the surface, this would cause a weight shift in the piece, and it would tip to one side. You could then possibly have the dot on the hollowed out side filled with something heavy to restore the balance (maybe a sphere made of marble or metal).

If you want to add in another element of balance you can change which of the Ying and Yang are recessed or proud. Ying being female is typically seen as concave, and Yang as male is thought of as proud or phallic rising from the surface. If you switch which is recessed and proud then you are playing with the balance between male and female.

Of course I have no idea how I would do this technically ;)

Silverbirch":vkl7mxyj said:
Here is my completed attempt at producing a piece based on the plant parts Phil posted.

As I said in an earlier post, I focused on the central section of the plant which showed a pattern of raised spots.
The timber is lime, with pyrographed texture and acrylic paint stippled on for the spots.
I could just have turned a cylinder and experimented with the texturing etc on that, I suppose, but with an eye to this month`s challenge, I thought I might as well get in a little vase turning practice as well :)
What do you think?

Ian

I think Gordon will like it as it is in keeping with his ladybird theme.

It is a bold statement and it captures the section identified. I think overall it is a little uniform. It is more a commercial piece than an art piece, giving that uniformity. But then I am saying that without yet having succeeded with my own efforts or ever having tried it. It is easier to comment than to produce. My minor comment aside I think the piece looks great.

frugal":21y21kae said:
I have been watching this thread with interest since it started, but I have not had the opportunity to contribute until now.

My first thoughts when reading the dictionary.com definitions of balance was to think about the opposite, and what happens when balance is removed. Which in turn got me to thinking about martial arts: in arts such as Aikido, Judo and Tai-Jitsu in order to make your opponent fall or move in the way that you want to you need to take control of their balance and move it to a point where they are off balance, but not so far that they fall. Then you can control them.

Taking this back to turning I have been thinking about shapes that are either balanced, but look unbalanced, or unbalanced but look balanced. The only one I really have formed in my head is a round bottomed piece, with the Ying and Yang symbols on the top surface. However instead of the top surface being flat, the Ying would be recessed and the Yang would be proud of the surface, this would cause a weight shift in the piece, and it would tip to one side. You could then possibly have the dot on the hollowed out side filled with something heavy to restore the balance (maybe a sphere made of marble or metal).

If you want to add in another element of balance you can change which of the Ying and Yang are recessed or proud. Ying being female is typically seen as concave, and Yang as male is thought of as proud or phallic rising from the surface. If you switch which is recessed and proud then you are playing with the balance between male and female.

Of course I have no idea how I would do this technically ;)

Good to have your input. Now we have you thinking - jump on in and try some bits. The worst that can happen is that it may not work out!

The other definition of balance is: "the remainder or rest". I wonder if it is possible to make two identical objects, where the second one is formed out of the shavings created by turning the first one...

So make a simple bowl, and then use it to make a mould. The mould can then be used to create a copy from the shavings and epoxy / resin / something...

Or make up resin and shavings blanks from the shavings from previous projects and then use this "remainder" of a previous project to make something.

Wood spoiler":1cjnfujn said:
frugal":1cjnfujn said:

Good to have your input. Now we have you thinking - jump on in and try some bits. The worst that can happen is that it may not work out!

Another thought: A sphere (the perfect balanced shape), that is hollow; but the hollowing is done off centre so that the sphere is balanced with regard to shape, but unbalanced with regards to how it rolls...

Cut a blank in half, glue it back together with a paper joint. Make it into a sphere. split it open and hollow out a hemisphere into each half off centre, then glue it back together to make a solid seeming shape.

Silverbirch":1ed4ld9f said:

What do you think?

Ian

I had a look back through your entries to the monthly challenge and its safe to say its not like anything you have shown before. On that point at least, this thread has clearly had some effect. I must look up in my entymology book and try and find a ladybird with that many spots.

Its a good looking vase shapewise and the texture is attractive. What's next?

frugal":3p64s1lb said:
Wood spoiler":3p64s1lb said:
frugal":3p64s1lb said:

Well your'e in the ring. Where's the product? :D

I know the second bit is all about words, but I reckon you should backtrack a bit and show us what you have in mind (only three to do I think) - we need more participation.

Well done Ian both for what you have produced and like Gordon having the courage to post and describe. =D>

I think it may be best not to confuse the two briefs. It may be wise to steer clear of seeing creative as meaning the same thing as artistic or producing art.

The first brief was about seeing and doing the second about thinking, seeing and doing.

It is an approach to what we do rather than working in a particular way or genre that is being encouraged here. In other words, looking outside our usual sphere of influences or ways of approaching what we do. Trying new things, new thinking or different ways of using tools, methods and materials are the real challenges.

Frugal as Gordon has said - have ago :) :) nothing ventured nothing gained! Once you start there's no turning back :D

Phil

Well here it is

I will leave others to comment on whether I have done what I think I did.

I too focused on the same section that inspired Ian. I saw within the plant a pattern of arches which were dark and the rough shapes on the top. Also, and I don't know why I saw a "waistcoat - I think it was a similarity to a Christmas past, hence my need for an opening.

The lower part was achieved by using a burr to carve the curves. I then used Ronseal Walnut wood filler to fill the grooves and sanded down

The top was cut using my Foredom again with various burrs.

I have finished with a finishing oil. It shows up some sanding/grinding marks which on one hand reflects the nature of the beast, but everything i have done til now screams keep sanding etc

This is the first time I have attempted abstract so totally unsure of how the end result achieves it's aims

DSC01683.jpg

DSC01682.jpg

DSC01681.jpg

DSC01679.jpg

DSC01677.jpg

DSC01676.jpg

Thanks for your comments on my vase, Colin, Gordon and Phil

I think overall it is a little uniform

Yes, I`d have to agree - more spotty than I`d really intended.
Maybe I`ll try a similar, but modified effect on something else.

Ian

Wood spoiler":2xt784xj said:
Well here it is
I will leave others to comment on whether I have done what I think I did.
This is the first time I have attempted abstract so totally unsure of how the end result achieves it's aims

Wow, same goes for you Colin, I definitely can't see anything like that in your previous output. Phil has achieved what was intended clearly. Its the change thats more important than the result. For me the result is 'interesting' rather than "I gotta have that" but that doesn't matter at all - how does your main judge (female variety) feel about it?. It does look very organic.

There are new techniques in your head and I really look forward to seeing how you apply them in future.

For myself, I find that, although its only three or four pieces on, I am looking at what I am doing and trying to see how I can push it further rather than just seeing how I can finish it off nicely.

The shine is fine but the shape is - rats, can't find a rhyme!

On the other hand, I started a small box last night, turned a small bowl inside and left loads of wood in order to do some carving/texturing. Parted it off the lathe and the shape was so nice that its going to get left well alone and just finished off. As I didn't sand it to a finish it means hand work now. So at times, the wood is good enough still.

I used up the rest of a pancake mix for lunch today. 8)

There I was, staring at the pan to get it JUST SO before flipping it and my eye settled on the pattern of dimples and bumps made by the air bubbles. I was trying to see if there was any regularity when the wife said "you can eat that one, I don't like them burnt" :(

Really interesting combinations though - I didn't have the camera handy or it would have been completely inedible. Good thing I'm a carbon based lifeform.

Here's my take on that middle section of the plant form. Actually, thats a bit untrue. REALLY its my pancake form but it just happens to remind me of the plant too. The bubbles on the pancake were actually reasonably regular with deep ones surrounded with smaller ones - just like this. The centre section of the pancake tended to be relatively smooth but with the odd well done bit - rather like the colouring on the boxwood :D

It has just had a quick coat of lacquer as yet whilst I decide if its going any further.

Attachments

• 100_2746.jpg
    100_2746.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 665
  • 100_2743.jpg
    100_2743.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 665
I saw within the plant a pattern of arches which were dark and the rough shapes on the top. Also, and I don't know why I saw a "waistcoat

Interesting to see how the same tiny section can suggest something quite different to different people!

I like you pancake texture, Gordon - works very well with the colour variations on the other parts.

Ian

Silverbirch":2bp9rblk said:
I saw within the plant a pattern of arches which were dark and the rough shapes on the top. Also, and I don't know why I saw a "waistcoat

Interesting to see how the same tiny section can suggest something quite different to different people!

I like you pancake texture, Gordon - works very well with the colour variations on the other parts.

Ian
As you say Ian, its fascinating to see the variety. This thread has had a huge number of hits but very few different people have contributed. I don't know if I am surprised or not. I would have thought it would have stimulated a few more to enter into the spirit but there you go.

Its been a day of the wood biting back, after the small box, this one was supposed to be another pierce and carve job but there was so much unusual colour variation on this piece that it just said "pancake" - as it would!

I will have to keep a camera ready primed in future, there are things to see everywhere it seems.

It might be a bit lonely, but I'm continuing with this thread because its so much fun getting out of the rut I was in danger of inhabiting.

I am treating wood now in the same way I used to treat a sheet of paper. No preconceptions, just start somewhere, add shapes, play with stuff and see what happens. The main difference is that the eraser doesn't work but who cares, the journey remains interesting. I'm quite sure that some results will be disaster but some may not. I used to throw quite a lot of paper in the bin but there is a natural reaction against binning something solid that has consumed our valuable time. At least the wooden ones will add to the heat this coming winter.

This is one out of yew I started last evening. The shape of the opening at the top was dictated by cracking but the rest is going to be entirely freeform (apart from the grain leading the way) with piercing, carving and texturing. Much as I enjoy producing a useful plate or bowl, this seems much more exciting and the results surprise me sometimes, although, inevitably, they can also disappoint.

Attachments

• 100_2752.jpg
    100_2752.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 623
  • 100_2753.jpg
    100_2753.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 623
  • 100_2754.jpg
    100_2754.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 623
Don't feel lonely - with a day job and other bits of life some of us can't be quite as prolific as you.

The Yew form is lovely. Bearing in mind just how unnatural wood turning is - the yew form looks very natural #-o if you know what I mean - perhaps organic is a better word.

Ps your underlying skills are shining through in the pre cut form you have turned. Your hollowing is looking really good.

Back