Creativity & Development of concepts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking of the sketch I posted earlier, I`ve finally come up with something akin to what I had in mind for the idea of "balance".

balance1.jpg

I turned the base and ball from oak, then scorched, wirebrushed and sprayed it black.
The bowl section is sycamore.
The three components are separate and balanced in a state of equilibrium.
The bowl has a curved base so it returns to an upright position when rocked, rather like a budgie toy.
The ball naturally centres itself in the depression on top of the bowl shape.
balance2.jpg

My thoughts:

1. I think the ball is too large ( and not very well made - need to practise that :oops: )
2. The pedestal is too wide in relation to the size of the bowl. Or, it might work better if it was shorter and more curved at the waist.
3. I think the bowl needs to have more of a curve from rim to base, so that it is a segment of a circle.
With hindsight, I should have drawn the pieces to scale and worked from measurements on my drawing, as you can`t make overall adjustments as you go along when you`re not working on a single piece.
I`ll try to rework some/all of the components and post a "mark 2" version later.

Your thoughts and comments welcome!

Ian

Attachments

• balance1.jpg
    balance1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 679
  • balance2.jpg
    balance2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 679
I like it a lot. It actually looks complete and classy and not a worked through concept piece.

I think you are possibly doing a harsher self critique than I would offer, but that is usually the way.

The side photo shows it sat in balance perfectly well

Hi Ian,

As with Colin I do like this but I think your comments show you are only moderately happy with it.

To my eye:
I think the ball is too small!!
I agree that the pedestal could be slimmer or with a great curve in the middle to give it more shape.
Also agree that the bowl could have a shallower curve.

I think it would look good if there was more connection (balance??) between the pedestal and the ball, thus the comment about the shape of the pedestal and the size of the ball.

As it is its an attractive item, I like the engraving on top of the bowl, it would be nice to have a better view of that.

Lets all keep this going, I have rescued my last piece from the firewood pile and have decided just to push it until there's nothing left or I at least like it :D

Thanks to those who have offered their congrats on the WOW cover. I was a bit gobsmacked when I opened the page! :shock:

Ian,
Great to see such a big shift in thinking beginning to happen - I look forward to the next stages and changes that will occur.

Colin - I think you are doing yourself an injustice in believing you do not have any creative or artistic ability. Your recent work should help you to disprove your theory. Developing creativity or creative approaches to your work takes time and patience. Take risks sometimes - you never know! Breakthroughs come in unexpected momemnts.

Phil

Thanks for the helpful and encouraging comments guys, which I`ll take on board when I do version 2.
Gordon, here is a shot of the top of the bowl. The radial lines were carved with a small "v" carving tool.
When I posted this piece, I had the feeling that I`d perhaps seen something similar elsewhere ( although not, I think, exploring the idea of balance specifically). Although not consciously trying to imitate another person`s work, I think one of the problems with looking at too many images of turned work is that it can make it harder to be original, at least in your own mind.
I suppose part of the answer is to spend more time looking at primary sources, if that`s the correct expression, such as nature, architecture etc. and also at glass, pottery etc.

Ian

Attachments

• balance3.jpg
    balance3.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 649
Ian,

You could try taking the pedestal almost to a point with a small cup in the bottom of the bowl. If it won't balance by itself, you could cheat with a very thin pin :lol:

Version 3?

If it won't balance by itself, you could cheat with a very thin pin :lol:
What! And destroy my artistic integrity? :shock:
Maybe if I spin the bowl like the spinning plates in the circus it would balance for a few seconds at least, while I take a quick pic. :lol:

Ian

Silverbirch":5tycatw5 said:
Maybe if I spin the bowl like the spinning plates in the circus it would balance for a few seconds at least, while I take a quick pic. :lol:

Ian

Parfait

Or a motor in the the pedestal???

With the ball going up and down as it spins.

gus3049":2hjp5qi4 said:
Silverbirch":2hjp5qi4 said:

Ian

Parfait

And what about the flashing light??? :D

Wood spoiler":94tk80e2 said:
gus3049":94tk80e2 said:
Silverbirch":94tk80e2 said:

Ian

Parfait

And what about the flashing light??? :D
And why not? :D

Inspired by Ian's good looking effort at "balance" I am going to have another go at the balance scenario.

I am working through some different ideas and just as Ian did by publicly declaring such I am obliging myself to do it

p.s. Thanks Phil for keeping an eye on us - your continued interest and encouragement is very much appreciated

Well now......

I did rescue the lump of box from the woodpile.

I continued hacking at it.

I looked at it and it fought to get back into the woodpile.

I had another go.

Looked at it again.

Shall I? Shan't I?

What the heck, this is about development. The creativity bit I'm thinking about. So here it is at its present stage of development. :shock: Sorry about the number of pics but it looks very different depending on the side you are looking at. In the flesh, it continues to be 'interesting'

Attachments

• 100_2908.jpg
    100_2908.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 600
  • 100_2907.jpg
    100_2907.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 600
  • 100_2905.jpg
    100_2905.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 600
  • 100_2903.jpg
    100_2903.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 599
  • 100_2902.jpg
    100_2902.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 599
  • 100_2901.jpg
    100_2901.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 599
Hi Gordon

It is brilliant the way you are going with these pieces.

It has been great to watch the thread and how the work of all in it is developing.

Keep it up guys it is an interesting thread.

mark sanger":1adork48 said:
Hi Gordon

It is brilliant the way you are going with these pieces.

It has been great to watch the thread and how the work of all in it is developing.

Keep it up guys it is an interesting thread.
Thanks Mark,

I wish I could see where I'm going :? Only one way to find out though :D

gus3049":1q942rqa said:
Well now......

I did rescue the lump of box from the woodpile.

I continued hacking at it.

I looked at it and it fought to get back into the woodpile.

I had another go.

Looked at it again.

Shall I? Shan't I?

What the heck, this is about development. The creativity bit I'm thinking about. So here it is at its present stage of development. :shock: Sorry about the number of pics but it looks very different depending on the side you are looking at. In the flesh, it continues to be 'interesting'

I will surprise you now.

with the twists and turns and different facets of the piece - is this one worth trying colouring :shock: on some of the internal facets? As a photographed piece in two dimensions it is confusing as to what is going on - hence the thought.

It certainly has made something striking out of the otherwise "firewood" pile

Wood spoiler":13h3wbq3 said:
I will surprise you now.

with the twists and turns and different facets of the piece - is this one worth trying colouring :shock: on some of the internal facets? As a photographed piece in two dimensions it is confusing as to what is going on - hence the thought.

It certainly has made something striking out of the otherwise "firewood" pile

Staggers back in amazement :shock:

You have hit on the main problem with this. Even when its turned in the hand its not exactly clear where all the connections go. In fact, one of them is a bit thinner than intended for this very reason. It was almost unconnected rather than unbalanced!

Good idea to see if there is a way of colouring to guide the eye.

Veronica thought is was 'orrid' when it started and right she was. Somehow or other the wood seems to be giving up its secret and letting me find something in there. Still not 100% convinced but will continue. Not a lot of wood left though :lol:

Hi folks,
If you`ve been following this thread, you might remember the piece I posted a few days ago on the theme "balance":
balance1.jpg

Well, I`ve reworked it after thinking about my first effort and considering the comments made here.
balanceA.jpg

I`ve slimmed down and reshaped the stand so it`s now more slender in relation to the bowl. I decided to change the little black sphere for a smaller teardrop type shape.
As for the bowl itself,(which is n`t really a bowl,more a solid shape with a hollow in it, ) I inserted a disc of black wood in the centre as I wanted a shallower depression so the teardrop could be seen more easily. and so that it would balance on its base rather than settle in the depression.
balanceC.jpg

I rechucked the base in my cole jaws so I could reshape it to a more rounded profile. I have left a rim, as the buttons on the jaws prevented me from reprofiling right up to the edge as I would have preferred and I couldn`t think of any other way of rechucking and getting it to run concentrically.
I need a vacuum chuck!
As each of the components is separate, they can be swapped around to balance in different ways.
balanceB.jpg

balanceD.jpg

I quite like the teardrop/onion shape. I`m going to have a play around with that next.
Comments and criticisms welcome!

Ian

Attachments

• balance1.jpg
    balance1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 836
  • balanceA.jpg
    balanceA.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 836
  • balanceB.jpg
    balanceB.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 836
  • balanceD.jpg
    balanceD.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 836
  • balanceC.jpg
    balanceC.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 836
Silverbirch":dcbudm5w said:
Hi folks,
Well, I`ve reworked it after thinking about my first effort and considering the comments made here.
I`ve slimmed down and reshaped the stand so it`s now more slender in relation to the bowl. I decided to change the little black sphere for a smaller teardrop type shape.
As for the bowl itself,(which is n`t really a bowl,more a solid shape with a hollow in it, ) I inserted a disc of black wood in the centre as I wanted a shallower depression so the teardrop could be seen more easily. and so that it would balance on its base rather than settle in the depression.
Ian

Hi Ian,

Like it more now. In fact, I reckon that I prefer it with the 'bowl' upside down. The fact that you can swap all the elements around is fun. Do like the teardrop too. I think the pedestal still needs to have more shape, much thinner in the middle.

Great stuff though.

I am having a lathe avoidance month :( Laying kitchen floor, plastering walls and inserting beams for new ceiling in the kitchen. Really good for a damaged back. However, I keep looking at my 'balance' piece and wondering where i can take it and have yet to think about this month's challenge. Must put head and hands into gear.

Thanks for your comments Gordon. I think I`ve done as much as I want to with this particular piece, but as I mentioned, I want to try out a few ideas using my onion shape, not balance-related this time.
We`re having work done at home too. I`m not actually doing it myself, but it doesn`t half have an impact on the daily routine, and consequently my level of focus on things spinny.
I need to get my head round this toymaking challenge too, which I must admit is leaving me feeling distinctly underwhelmed with excitement. :roll:

Ian

Hi Ian

I really like the last piece, very simple and impactive. Keep on with this one for sure.

Back