Creativity & Development of concepts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been having thoughts when looking at others work of not just an appreciation of what has been created, but also of how I could take an idea and put my own twist to it.

Moving that basic concept forward how about another type of thread?

Someone post a thread of an original piece and instead of requesting comment and critique, explain what you are trying to achieve or what prompted the piece. Having seen the piece - others so moved take that idea, concept or element that has stimulated the creative juices and make another piece to be posted on that thread, explaining what you have taken and what you have developed, so we will be left with threads of creative development work.

I see this as Virtual collaboration and development work, in the way that others have done physical development pieces

Well that's enough creativity from me for one go - what do you all make of these ramblings?

Wood spoiler":22awjm1w said:
I have been having thoughts when looking at others work of not just an appreciation of what has been created, but also of how I could take an idea and put my own twist to it.

Someone post a thread of an original piece and instead of requesting comment and critique, explain what you are trying to achieve or what prompted the piece. Having seen the piece - others so moved take that idea, concept or element that has stimulated the creative juices and make another piece to be posted on that thread, explaining what you have taken and what you have developed, so we will be left with threads of creative development work.

I see this as Virtual collaboration and development work, in the way that others have done physical development pieces

Well that's enough creativity from me for one go - what do you all make of these ramblings?

Wow!

Its nearly 6am here so 5ish in the UK. A bit early to digest big subjects like this. After breakfast and a bit of cogitation, I think I'll try reading that again.

My initial reaction is "how do we nick someone's idea and give it our own slant. Guilty as charged yer honour but then don't we all. I think creative development sounds a lot better :D

I'll get back to you.

Just go and spin some wood, if its to produce something in a form you have seen then you will soon know if it's something you want to develope further or leave well alone because it does not hit the spot.

Shed time, shed time, shed time, it's a hobby, you only have to please yourself, if others like it it's a bonus, why follow the preferences of others, they may be sheep.

Tool use safety is the only area in my opinion that you should follow established guidance, once beyond appreciating the basics of form flow, and there are hundreds of daily items around you to use as examples then go and establish your own personality on the wood.

Wood spoiler":3boj98rf said:

Colin does this mean that someone like me who just turns the odd bowl ,platter ,plate ,mushroom, etc
might be left on the sidelines so to speake as my work would not be considered thought provoking enough
and me after just getting the hang of embraceing you all with pictures of my masterpieces.

Or are we being nudged towards the Artistic side of woodturning or as I would call it the ceramic look of woodturning. I suppose it could be said that my views on turning are very basic and others can see a lot more to it than I can, having seen Binh Po and Joey Richardson in action I think my views on turning are very much on the
blinkered hobby give it away (if anyone will take it) side of things.

I'm sure from looking at the postings on the forum that there are many who would share your way of thinking and fair play to you all, look forward to seeing how it pans out.

REgards Boysie

Right, I've read it again.

I, as usual, have a foot in both camps. I understand Chas's comments as I am quite sure my process is to stick the wood on the lathe and see what happens. Occasionally however, I do try and see if I can copy something and/or modify it to reflect 'my style' and am, obviously, interested in how the original was achieved.

I strongly suspect however, that most people wouldn't 'intellectualise' (wot a norrid word) what they are doing at all. I would hate to discourage discussion but don't think that many people would join in this sort of thing in any 'official' way. There is nothing to stop any of us asking how things are done and we know that the members of this forum are only to happy too share when asked.

Next idea?? :D

Gordon,

I suspect that everyone thinks a little about each piece, and yes Boysie that includes basic bowls etc

Whether such though contributes on an intellectual level to another's learning process is difficult to predict - obviously most believe that the more complex, and often 'different', pieces are the more likely it would.

For my money Colin's proposal has huge merit at every level, but on the other hand, it's already done to a significant degree within most of the thread discussions on pieces. It's natural.

jumps":iagdjvkd said:
For my money Colin's proposal has huge merit at every level, but on the other hand, it's already done to a significant degree within most of the thread discussions on pieces. It's natural.

I guess that's what I was trying to say in a roundabout way!

Judging by the responses thus far I think that as an idea it is unlikely to be taken up and developed into a full blown concept.

Blowing my own trumpet I am more than happy to go away and play with ideas and concepts and nick ideas and inspriration as required and feel I am generating originality etc. However we have previously seen collaborations etc or where someone has said this is my take on ABC. The concept was to build and encourage such things (and of course get more piccie posting)

The thought was prompted in many ways as a spin off of the competition where for a month we all become focused on the subject of the challenge. Once that month is over that particular topic is no more as we are on to the next. It would thenbe exploring any aspect that grabbed at any time in the year

Certainly not the object to alienate Boysie

Colin, as if you ever would :wink:
I think I will have to be more careful in my answering posts.I seem to stop debate rather than encourage it ,I guess I'm beggining to believe my signature :roll: :roll:

Water off a Donkey or whatever they say. :lol:

REgards Boysie.

Wood spoiler":86e32w10 said:
Judging by the responses thus far I think that as an idea it is unlikely to be taken up and developed into a full blown concept.

Blowing my own trumpet I am more than happy to go away and play with ideas and concepts and nick ideas and inspriration as required and feel I am generating originality etc. However we have previously seen collaborations etc or where someone has said this is my take on ABC. The concept was to build and encourage such things (and of course get more piccie posting)

The thought was prompted in many ways as a spin off of the competition where for a month we all become focused on the subject of the challenge. Once that month is over that particular topic is no more as we are on to the next. It would thenbe exploring any aspect that grabbed at any time in the year

Certainly not the object to alienate Boysie

I don't think any of us want to pour cold water on what might end up being a good thing. Just because we don't seem particularly for it doesn't mean we are necessarily agin it. Merely that I, anyway, am not sure of the support it would get.

Why not try one and see what happens rather than asking for opinions?

Colin,

It is, possibly, easier to work with a competition brief that specifies an object that most people can identify say a bowl, platter or box as a requirement . Usually there are restrictions attached such as size, decoration, use, function etc.

A creative brief may seem more demanding in that choices are potentially unlimited and more decisions are required to be made by the maker before starting a piece of work.

There is a difference between copying and interpreting and if you wish to produce something fresh or different then it is preferable to go to the source of the ideas rather than the maker’s interpreted, finished piece. The new work you produce then becomes your own.

If you would like a sample brief to work to and to see whether this might be helpful to you, then I will happily write one for you. I can either post it here if others would like to try a different way of problem solving or I can send it to you via email if it is only you that is interested in giving it a go.

You will have to bear in mind that there will be no right or wrong solution/s to the problem/s being set and what you make will be your selection.

It would require you to work with some reference pictures supplied. I may add some helpful hints!

I would not want to enter into discussions as this has caused me problems in the past on Forums.

Let me know either here or by PM.

Phil

Phil that is a generous offer, one of the things I was trying to infer in my above post and probably did not get across other than as something that in retrospect looks like a negative comment was that an end result is a goal in itself, if it is one that involves you moving your own goalposts as the project develops then you have achieved a great deal of self understanding not an adherence to the ideals of others.

Your de-constructed bowl development is the example that springs readily to mind in trying to express my thoughts.

Chas, I didn't read your comments as being negative.

Sometimes it can be difficult for some of us to see things in a different or new way without some guides and pointers. A brief that is not too open ended can sometimes help to unblock thinking and lead the way to an understanding of both one's own and other people's skills, differences, limits and possiblities.

Phil

P.S.I should have aded to the above, and will now as an edit, that I saw Colin's original bit above as a way of asking for help and support.

Colin,
I think the notion of posting work which goes beyond the production of an object and focuses on the development of an idea is an excellent suggestion, if I`ve understood correctly what you`re getting at.
My only observation would be that such a thread would be quite slow to get off the ground, due to the amount of time taken to explore an idea and produce a related piece of work.
How about a hypothetical example of what you have in mind?
Posting work related to a chosen theme, with no stipulation as to what the work produced should be, no closing dates, awards etc. would be interesting.
Philip,
I don`t know if others would be interested, but I would certainly be keen to see a sample brief posted along the lines you are suggesting.

Ian

I went to mow the meadow thinking this idea was dead and buried only to Come back in and see it burst into life.

Thanks Phil I really think you've moved it on. I have no idea what a brief looks like let alone work to such a brief. I would love to have a go.

Ian. I genuinely didn't have an idea in mind when I posted but if Phil will post a brief I think it would be great to give it a go and see where it takes us.

I understand Boysie's view and my local mentor John Davis of Stockbridge, encourages my development whilst constantly reminding me of the underlining basic skills to underpin the creative side. Art is good but an honest good looking well made bowl looks stunning too.

If it helps explain where I am coming from. I only make for me and for a few presents. I only have so many flat spaces on which to show my wares. I therefore love shed time but I need to take longer over each piece to get the enjoyment of making and keeping them so I like to experiment ....

I don't think it will be a fast moving thread but I think it could create a lot of interest for those minded to participate.

My ramblings continue - sorry, but pleased to see it move along

An interesting thread.

It became apparent for" me and the way I work" that once I had learnt the tooling that there was a massive void ahead of me. I became bored of producing what I considered work to be that of others. IE I would make pieces similar to Cindy Drozda.

I am not saying that producing work based on others is wrong. It is I believe a natural course of development to get the tooling working and exploring different styles of work.

To go from a set way of thinking which is has been developed by very formal ways of question and answer/direct solution to a problem will often produce superficial results.

IE if you want to make a coloured bowl and someone tells you how to colour it then it will probably be a very nice coloured bowl. But if you go into a room with the basic materials and just experiment and play without being told how to, the results are often far more interesting and may lead to a deeper understanding.

Observation is the most important part of my ideas a long way before I make the final piece. At times this process takes months of thinking.

Observation though, for the creative process has to be as much about the self as the technical.

IE why am I wanting to make a hollow form in this way with a small hole and of pure highly finished wood. Is it genuinely because I "want" to make it in this way or because without knowing " I am making it in this way to obtain peer acceptance" etc etc. This distinction is often very subtle and at times not obvious.

So I believe that part of the process has to be to strip away our preconceived, preprogrammed thoughts and to start a fresh. also known in some parts as "beginners mind"

Not some farty way of thinking but a way all sportsman from boxers to synchronised swimmers program the way they work and develop.

This in itself is not an easy process and will be full of discomfort and a desire to take the easy route back to what we know, the "comfort zone".

By challenging and being given a brief such as Philip is offering, to explore, research and develop is a chance you should not pass up.

It is no secret that Philip has had a profound effect on my own development and once the penny dropped I was off and away.

But you can not learnt the creative process/development by being given answers. You have to look, observe, challenge and find your own.

Hi Folks,

I find the idea of this thread a bit absurd and quite rude really. There has already been a lot of work on UKW that embodies the sort of thinking that this thread implies but most of it gets ignored or undermined by ill informed or silly remarks.

The thought of starting some sort of thread to explore this idea when there has already been a vast amount of work of this kind serves only to tell me one thing - nobody is really looking at what is being posted. This concerns me a lot as there is so much work to learn from that will help and assist the less creative turner to push and explore themselves in new and undiscovered ways.

Perhaps I am just an innocent, upstart who doesn't give a damn about tradition. In 100 years we'll all be dead and maybe, just maybe, the odd piece will live on beyond our time.
Although with ignorance on such a grand scale I seriously doubt it.

I doubt i'll contribute any work on this thread as I can't really see the point, no disrespect to anyone who does but it's a bit like a teacher and pupil scenario, and most of the pupils I see don't have any desire to learn anything about anything.

I'm now quite depressed and feeling pretty dung about myself, I have no real idea why by I guess that's something for me to deal with on my own. I would wish you all the best but I don't really care anymore!

skeetoids":3my5wrp8 said:
Hi Folks,

I find the idea of this thread a bit absurd and quite rude really. There has already been a lot of work on UKW that embodies the sort of thinking that this thread implies but most of it gets ignored or undermined by ill informed or silly remarks.

The thought of starting some sort of thread to explore this idea when there has already been a vast amount of work of this kind serves only to tell me one thing - nobody is really looking at what is being posted. This concerns me a lot as there is so much work to learn from that will help and assist the less creative turner to push and explore themselves in new and undiscovered ways.

Perhaps I am just an innocent, upstart who doesn't give a damn about tradition. In 100 years we'll all be dead and maybe, just maybe, the odd piece will live on beyond our time.
Although with ignorance on such a grand scale I seriously doubt it.

I doubt i'll contribute any work on this thread as I can't really see the point, no disrespect to anyone who does but it's a bit like a teacher and pupil scenario, and most of the pupils I see don't have any desire to learn anything about anything.

I'm now quite depressed and feeling pretty pineapple about myself, I have no real idea why by I guess that's something for me to deal with on my own. I would wish you all the best but I don't really care anymore!

I am sorry - I don't understand your post or motivation behind it.

You have always posted work that is individual and comes from deep seated philosophical understanding - or so it appears. I look - I don't always like or understand, but as I have said before I always want to look at what you post because it is different.

Others of us - such as me do not have an intellectual art or philosphical work background. I took up woodworking as a skill and pastime but have found as I have done more and more and that there is a whole lot more in it. Just like the Monthly Challenge that takes us outside of our comfort zones in a prescribed format I find myself looking for ways to develop personal tastes which is the road I have been going down with my carved items and other ideas. Somethings we do so on an individual basis whilst others can be developed on a shared basis.

The shared basis is all that is being proposed.

I am sorry if it has caused offence in any way as the idea is not to undermine anyone or anything. It is all about encouraging a different dimension for those so minded.

Latest posts

Back