Creativity & Development of concepts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes? Well I think that is yes, but it maybe maybe or yes or no :?

But whatever, I think it was something to do with one of those forigeners from that island West of England and as no-one has yet had the sense to dig Offers Dyke a lot deeper it's further West than that?

My brain cell 'urts! Must be me medicin and bed time?

As long as she did not class it as Tacky you'll have Nailed it Eugene.

Pity I'm too busy with visitors at the moment sounds an interesting challenge, just how many variations are there on any given theme.

Philip Streeting":1cdsz5tx said:
Tell her you have taken up rug weaving Eugene - she may well be impressed by your efforts! :D
Phil

Phil. it's that bloke over in fro France fault, he derailed me . In the mean time glad that you are going to help those
that need help. I will do all I can to spur them on. :wink: :wink:

In the meantime I'm off to the Arran Isles to learn knitting. :lol: :lol:

Chas.
Would that have anything to do with, THE HARRY LIME THEME,

Now less frivoltites Phil and me have work to do.

Over to you Phil.

boysie39":3aaa3xka said:
Now less frivoltites Phil and me have work to do.

Over to you Phil.

In my grey cells I have been plotting how to use my first layers of texturing to make you an official Deputy badge, so that Phil the Sherrif can be confidant that you will be there to whip us all into line with your fancy knitted new whip (leastways that's how I interpreted your new found knitting skills.

Anyone else started yet? Here's a few I did yesterday. The idea is to create a library of doodles and/or usable ideas that it it possible to return to later. I have made notes that describe how each texture was made and details of the nail or modified nail used. I will show these later if required.

nailtextures1.jpg

Next stage might be to stain or colour as another experiment to see whether that would enhance the appearance of the texture.

Phil

Hi Philip,

Didn't manage as many as you but there's this nasty business of paying the mortgage an' stuff to do, and cook a curry for six tonight, which means having to clean the dining room........ which means I'm blathering on with excuses.

Apart from a couple with the pointy end, I thought the possibilities with the head were more interesting. Will continue tomorrow.

Attachments

• 100_2621.jpg
    100_2621.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 567
It has been said that you've always been a head banger though?

I have to go and empty a lump of tulip wood now to see if there is a 12" bowl in there? I have to make sure the chuck is screwed down rock solid, because it tried to unscrew one time when I hit the stop button and the motor break came on :shock: :shock:

Hmmm......
Not as easy as I first thought . These were the result of thumping a round head nail into a piece of lime in various ways. I have one or two different approaches up my sleeve which I`ll try out in between turning bits of jewellery :)

Ian

Attachments

• textures2.jpg
    textures2.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 536
Brief: Produce a piece of turned wood using the attached pictures as reference.

Below you will find two pictures of flower remains found earlier this year. There are many design elements that can be observed, extracted and used within a piece of turned work.

Some of those elements might include shape, form, planes, line, colour, pattern and texture.

Look carefully at the detail in the pictures then make some notes and small sketches of some of the possibilities that may occur to you.

As there is no outcome suggested so you are free to use anything you observe and note as interesting on any turned shape you choose to produce.

There are no size limitations.

Your choice of wood should reflect the needs of your chosen design elements and the decisions you make on their use within your piece of work.

seed4.jpg

seed5.jpg

This is becoming interesting. My wife looked at the plants and said "they are just plants" To which I, of course said "oh no they're not, they are a series of shapes against a background" But then, many many years ago, when I was at Camberwell, we were taught to draw by not actually looking at what we were seeing but how the various elements interact.

Quite why I have managed to either forget or ignore all my training I have no idea. I suppose its because there is an fixed idea or an image of what it means to be a woodworker or a turner and that's what people do - they make round things. EXACTLY what I have been struggling to escape in my own grasshopper like way.

This could well help me push a bit. So thanks to Colin and to Philip.

Sorry, but I think that I must have come in part way through this conversation? I have NO idea as to what either of you are talking about? But then again I think that the Tate Modern is the biggest con that has so far been thrust on London so who am I to comment?

I have never been to "Art school" so I am probably missing out on how or why a painting with a woman with both ears on one side of her head could ever have been accepted as anything more than something produced by a 4 year old? Never mind fetch 6 figure ££££ figures?

Can we return to the English language and if it's possible to describe what has been said in that language I'm all ears, all be it one each side :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jonzjob":2us4m5ly said:
Sorry, but I think that I must have come in part way through this conversation? I have NO idea as to what either of you are talking about? But then again I think that the Tate Modern is the biggest con that has so far been thrust on London so who am I to comment?

I have never been to "Art school" so I am probably missing out on how or why a painting with a woman with both ears on one side of her head could ever have been accepted as anything more than something produced by a 4 year old? Never mind fetch 6 figure ££££ figures?

Can we return to the English language and if it's possible to describe what has been said in that language I'm all ears, all be it one each side :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have looked carefully at what has been written here and I find that every word we have used appears in every dictionary of the English language I can find :D

Therefore I must assume that you speak a different dialect perhaps. North of the Thames?? That's all foreign to me. Even living in Suffolk seemed a long way from civilisation.

Views on art are always going to be diverse and there are going to be some things that some people, no matter how intelligent, are just not going to connect to. I think, John, you may have to accept that this thread is not for you. Even when carefully explained, certain things will always draw a blank look. For me, its music that causes problems. The sheer variety of forms is such that what drives friends into raptures, leaves me cold and actually makes my head hurt. Thats OK.

Its what makes life interesting init?

I've been thinking about my reply to Jonzjob and feel it might appear a bit dismissive.

Perhaps the bit that appeared to be a foreign concept was the bit about how we look at things.

If you take a holly leaf for instance. The problem is that we all have a database of information that we compare things against. If you try and draw a holly leaf, the likelihood is that you will always end up with the same one because you 'know' what it looks like. What you need to do is draw this particular leaf. So forget its a leaf. What it actually is, is a series of shapes that interact with each other. Each curve will be different, each spike a different length, each vein a different shape. So look at the shapes not the fact that you know its a leaf. Each shape will also sit on a background so you have to see how those interact as well. Look at each element and gradually the 'actual' thing you are looking at will appear.

There is a real difference between looking and seeing. Breaking things down into elements and putting them in a different arrangement might seem bizarre but some artists seem to have the knack of giving an additional view or insight of things this way. Not everyone will see it of course but thats OK too. For me, those artists who are able to draw brilliantly in a traditional way are the ones I trust to offer a different slant. This cuts out quite a few that I see making a fortune these days but that too I can accept because, strangely enough, I don't know ....!

I think all those words were in English :D

Hi Phil,

Are you 'expecting' us to show the ideas, sketches etc? Would this be of interest? Or would you expect us to produce something. I know there are no fixed rules to this but it would be an entertaining part of the process I think, to see people's thought processes as they develop.

Gus,

Good to see your contributions and also John's and others.

It does say discussion at the start of thread and I guess some viewing the thread will have mixed reactions to what they see happenning, expressed or shown and they may not wish to express an opinion or contribute.

As far as where the thread goes from here I did say earlier that all I would do is start a ball rolling, it is up to Colin and those contributing to decide how the thread develops. My understanding of Colin's original request was for contributors to show, express, discuss how they are approaching the problem posed and help each other to develop the theme by example and discussion. You have begun to do this by describing how drawing and observation helps us to see things.

Some may not draw well and may be embarrassed to upload sketches but might be happy to descibe in words their thoughts and ideas. Whatever is decided it remains important to be as inclusive as possible. In the end it is the journey and the outcome that is important not the methods used to get there.

My view is that usually a brief is asking questions and those questions and answers may be about self not the problem being posed.

Phil

Jonzjob":u7oygqre said:

John,
I must say I find it hard to believe that you are finding it hard to understand this thread, :roll: :roll:
It is perfectly simples. :shock: :shock:

Phil

Thanks for your posts

They are appreciated. I am trying my best to translate what I am seeing to something to make a meaningful interpretation.

I was sidetracked at the weekend having my Lazy Susan to do - which I had set as task for the weekend. I will try to get my head round the artistic side of my brain (although it does seem slightly deeply implanted somewhat as never been used! ....)

This gets better and better.

For many years I have started abstracts just by plonking something onto paper and then doodling round it to see what develops. Quite why I never thought to apply this to turning I don't know.

So I have just made a little 'hollow form' and I am attacking it with my air tool and have absolutely no idea where it will end up. If its worth looking at I will post pics. The basic form came out of my sketches inspired by Phil's plants.

Excellent :D

Back