Creativity & Development of concepts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colin,

I can see what Lee is saying but strongly disagree. "Silly" quite often just means "I disagree" and there is nothing rude about having failed to benefit from things that have already been on the forum. It might depend on the stage one is at and might be of no benefit at the time and there will be new turners joining all the time. Any encouragement at any time towards finding your 'creative' side is a good thing. There will always be those that either can't see the point or are happy with where they are. This thread is not for them.

I think Lee's post is more a reflection of how he is feeling right now. That is for him to cope with. We can offer support and sympathy but nothing else practical.

Hi Folks,

I am sorry if my rambings where offensive or unconstructive. You are correct in that any thoughts or expressions that endevour to bring us closer together are a good thing and should be welcomed and recieved in the spirit in which they are intended.

Often my mind works in a different way to most and this can create feelings of isolation, frustration and depression. These are no result of any other but are my own personal demons so to speak. It was indeed undignified and thoughtless of me to loose control in this way and to say I now feel a little sheepish is understandable.

When I am involved in a creative piece or idea or discussion it will sometimes make me feel that I have a steering wheel in my underpants, ergo 'it drives me nuts!' LOL!

Now you'll have to excuse me, my claymore needs polishing and i've got some deep fried mars bars on the go, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Colin, Lee and all.

I have never yet come across a discussion about the creative process that has not at some stage involved a heated debate. This I believe is part of the process as it takes a lot to look at what we are doing and to be told either by another or through our own experimentation that we should or could be doing it differently if we so decide to take it in that direction.

Any way. I wish you all the best with your endevours.

I have considered what response I might make to Lee's comments and subsequent posts in this thread.

I have no desire to cause heated debates here - they have happened on another Forum and I have no desire to repeat the experience.

On reflection I now regret getting involved and feel it best to withdraw my offer.

There are a number of published sources for those wishing to increase their knowledge of design and creative approaches to turning. A good starting point could be the new Derek Hayes book - Woodturning Design.

Best wishes

Phil

Philip Streeting":2xevhbkp said:
I have considered what response I might make to Lee's comments and subsequent posts in this thread.

I have no desire to cause heated debates here - they have happened on another Forum and I have no desire to repeat the experience.

On reflection I now regret getting involved and feel it best to withdraw my offer.

There are a number of published sources for those wishing to increase their knowledge of design and creative approaches to turning. A good starting point could be the new Derek Hayes book - Woodturning Design.

Best wishes

Phil

Now that is a shame. Those of us at the beginning of our turning 'career' would surely benefit from the sort of offer made and withdrawn.

Lee's post was made on the spur of the moment reflecting how he felt at that time and he has obviously regretted it. I clearly have no knowledge of what happened elsewhere but I would, respectfully, say that I can't see how the debate has been heated in any way. Lee's comments are in isolation and I was surprised at Mark's comments. They were just that though - no discussion at all. I don't understand why, what is really a philosophical journey, should raise any temperatures.

One doesn't like to beg and you must as you feel but I am sure there are several of us who would appreciate it if you will reconsider. We were certainly looking forward to it.

Philip Streeting":337xo4if said:
.....On reflection I now regret getting involved and feel it best to withdraw my offer.
.....Phil

Please don't do either Phil, there should be no personal regrets about trying to help others to achieve a greater understanding of the craft.
I hope you re-consider and carry on with your input, you have a distinctive insight and practical ability that many would aspire to and anything that points the way can only be a benefit to the whole.

Some around here have been scratching away at improving our skills for many years, not months, and are more than happy to have our eyes opened to new horizons.

I am sure there are several of us who would appreciate it if you will reconsider. We were certainly looking forward to it.
Myself, for one.
Some around here have been scratching away at improving our skills for many years, not months, and are more than happy to have our eyes opened to new horizons.

I think it`s probably true to say that many people here (including myself) have had limited experience and guidance in the more creative aspects of our craft(?). Advice and support in the realm of ideas and creativity, is much harder to come by than it is in the more technical aspects of woodturning. This is where discussion, guidance and sharing of ideas can be so beneficial, as it can be difficult to crystallise ideas which may be floating around, half formed in our heads.
The posts so far have indicated a level of interest which I`m sure can be built upon.
I hope we can keep the momentum going.

Ian

Please Phil, as a total plonker regarding the work you and Mark and George and others whom I can not recall at the moment post on the forum please reconsider your offer. I have no idea as to whats involved but if you can spare the time there are many on here who would benifit from your imput.

There are turners on herewho are only waiting for the chance for to learn from you guys. Please dont deprive them of that chance because somebody is having a bad day and is regretting his post now. Me it's too late for, I'm the bread and drip type and any thing but the old school is hard for me to understand. But I hate to say this I like looking at what you guys do, I may not understand it ,but who knows mayde I could learn.
This time next year I might be suggesting things that you fellows might take heed of.
Now where was I, Oh yes open the door for them maybe everyone could benifit.

REgards Boysie39

I truly hope that Phil will reconsider if only on a one off basis to give us an idea of how to start. I absolutely agree with Ian's comments.

It would be a shame if Lee's fit of pique, for which he has apologised, were to deprive us of a personal development opportunity.

There is the irony that the object of our being lambasted by Lee (before his apology) was for the very thing Lee has just proclaimed his pride in and shown with such a successful outcome, namely his collaboration with Mark.

On this thread a number of us have declared that this is a project/direction that we would like to see develop and it would be great if that could be with the support of Phil who clearly has great experience in these matters.

If that turns out not to be, which would be a great shame, how else do we, as members of the Forum, move this Creative process forward?

While I sort out some detailed problems to solve, here is an exercise to start the ball rolling.

This exercise is about improvising with things found around the workshop and a first example of looking at a problem to see what are the limitations, what are the possibilities and how you might be creative in interpreting a brief?

A nail can fix two pieces of wood together using a hammer to drive the nail into the wood. A nail, usually has a head at one end and is pointed at the opposite end - it could be used to make marks on a piece of wood. How many different ways can you find to create textures or patterns on a piece of hardwood using a nail? Sycamore, lime or beech might be the best wood to use - it should be flat and sanded before starting work on it.

Example textures (min. 1.5cm square) with a short description on methods and techniques used should be shared.

Phil

Philip Streeting":1f9o5yim said:
While I sort out some detailed problems to solve, here is an exercise to start the ball rolling.

This exercise is about improvising with things found around the workshop and a first example of looking at a problem to see what are the limitations, what are the possibilities and how you might be creative in interpreting a brief?

A nail can fix two pieces of wood together using a hammer to drive the nail into the wood. A nail, usually has a head at one end and is pointed at the opposite end - it could be used to make marks on a piece of wood. How many different ways can you find to create textures or patterns on a piece of hardwood using a nail? Sycamore, lime or beech might be the best wood to use - it should be flat and sanded before starting work on it.

Example textures (min. 1.5cm square) with a short description on methods and techniques used should be shared.

Phil

Thanks Phil for continuing to support us. It is appreciated.

A thought provoking starter exercise. The brain cells are running.

Looking forward to a different kind of shed time

Spot on John! A nail is a punch too. No mention in the brief that a grinder or a file can't be used - or different sized nails with different shaped heads etc. Hardened steel nails, copper nails................ what qualities in a nail are able to be exploited?

Phil

Soon you'll be discussing what shade of Nail polish to finish the piece off :twisted:

Have fun folks.

Yep burning sounds good, copper nail may conduct heat better. In a drill, textured end will burn too and if shaped will cut maybe.

Nail polish comes later! I don't see any problems getting in touch with the feminine side if it helps Chas!

Phil

Jonzjob":1wa3tecb said:
:idea: Lots of 1/2' panel pins tapped into the wood and a pattern made with coloured threads? Chas' nail polish could be used to seal the knots?

John, would you ever keep your nose out of Phillip's masterclass.

I have a 6' plank with every nail imaginable hammered into it.I have unravelled Two of Clairs cardigines .Have threaded
the wool around all the nails

I have used all her nail polish all this without her knowing, came up for me tea and she asked what was I making.

I am now giving her your email address :twisted: :twisted:

Back