Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MikeG.":1vzeb9if said:
Trainee neophyte":1vzeb9if said:
.........Some chap today was saying..........

There's where you went wrong, TN. That means that everything that follows is gossip.

I have just spent far too much time trying to find the video in question, and either I dreamed it, or it was deemed not necessary to keep a copy for posterity. So yes, let's pretend it never happened, because I have zero evidence to back it up.

The thrust of this mythical expert's argument was that the UK imports 50% of its food, and there is no warehousing capabilities because everyone runs on a just-in-time system. Any exogenous shock (to use the jargon du jour) will have an immediate impact on food supplies, seen as empty spaces on shelves. If all national borders are closed, what next? Brexit showed how big the potential for problems could be, with just government intervention causing the disruption. If all the French ports (full of diseased would-be immigrants) are quarantined, then what?

It was just a bit of panic-mongering on the telly, but an interesting thing to consider, none-the-less.

RogerS":3t8qd1dp said:
TN...will you please stop posting this rubbish. It's not a laughing matter. You're not helping. I'm sticking you on my foe list as I can't be bothered to see this drivel any more.

If you can't see the seriousness of this situation then I feel for your family.

I feel I'm in the Twilight zone right now. Which bit of rubbish did you have in mind, specifically? If you disagree with something, tell me, but which bit? What? And more importantly, why?

"T n", you wrote, QUOTE: Have I become the new Jacob? UNQUOTE:

IMO, not yet, but with some of the doom & gloom rubbish you've been posting on this thread, you're definitely going in that sort of direction!

For goodness sake man, we're NOT "all going to die" and "the world as we know it is NOT going to end soon". But this IS serious, so get a grip - please.

Blackswanwood":1r7d9nni said:
RogerS":1r7d9nni said:
I wondered why Boris didn't close theatres and pubs. Then I read this ..

Patrick Gracey, producer of Tom Stoppard's latest play Leopoldstadt, said the prime minister "has just doomed an entire industry by telling people not to attend the theatre".
He added: "By not enforcing a shutdown, production insurance will not apply so producers and shows will go bankrupt, and tens of thousands of people will be without pay."

And thought...aha...someone's had a quiet word in BoJo's ear.

Sorry Roger but that is absolutely illogical. In letting industries suffer and leaving tens of thousand without pay the government ends up picking up the tab. It’s simply something that hasn’t been thought through.

I'm afraid that although it might sound illogical, it is fact.

About doom and gloom - it is all views of the future. At the stroke of a pen, my government has just stopped all tourism, therefore my personal income will drop by about 60%. I am now working out which animals to kill, in which order, because I can no longer afford to feed them. Concentrates the thinking somewhat.

So for the collective group-think: will banks survive several months of near-zero economic activity? Will the governments create vast amounts of new money to bail them out again? Will this be inflationary, or deflationary, or will life carry on as normal with nary a ripple to the economic well-being of the world economy?

"Making predictions is hard. Especially about the future".

Trainee neophyte":2ks2i7rw said:
.........The thrust of this mythical expert's argument was that the UK imports 50% of its food, and there is no warehousing capabilities because everyone runs on a just-in-time system........

You know this is twaddle without me having to tell you. All the supermarkets have "distribution centres", which are giant warehouses. When a no deal Brexit looked imminent supermarkets built up big stocks in these distribution centres. Obviously imported fruit and veg don't have a long shelf life so large stocks of those can't be held, but all other stuff can be. If you have to miss out on one of your 5 a day now and then I wouldn't have thought it was the end of the world.

On a general note, if you want to find a Youtube or Facebook clip of someone making a doom and gloom prediction you can on any and every subject under the sun. Every nutcase on the planet is hard at it right now. What we would hope of fellow posters is that a minute or two's thought would go in before posting codswallop dreamt up by some snotty teenage Trump-alike in his bedroom. Think......verify......filter......post (with links). That would be my suggestion. And keep clear of American prepper and religious websites.

MikeG.":3jalhbcz said:
Trainee neophyte":3jalhbcz said:
.........The thrust of this mythical expert's argument was that the UK imports 50% of its food, and there is no warehousing capabilities because everyone runs on a just-in-time system........

You know this is twaddle without me having to tell you. All the supermarkets have "distribution centres", which are giant warehouses. When a no deal Brexit looked imminent supermarkets built up big stocks in these distribution centres. Obviously imported fruit and veg don't have a long shelf life so large stocks of those can't be held, but all other stuff can be. If you have to miss out on one of your 5 a day now and then I wouldn't have thought it was the end of the world.

On a general note, if you want to find a Youtube or Facebook clip of someone making a doom and gloom prediction you can on any and every subject under the sun. Every nutcase on the planet is hard at it right now. What we would hope of fellow posters is that a minute or two's thought would go in before posting codswallop dreamt up by some snotty teenage Trump-alike in his bedroom. Think......verify......filter......post (with links). That would be my suggestion. And keep clear of American prepper and religious websites.

You're beating your head against a brick wall, Mike. He ain't gonna change. Nice and quiet now the Foe list has been updated.

MikeG.":539hb50t said:
And keep clear of American prepper and religious websites.

My company has sent everyone to work from home until mid April at least. Some of my younger engineers don’t have a suitable work space. How your only table is a coffee table I have no idea, but that’s a conversation for another day. Anyhow I’ve told them to buy a cheap desk to work from.

One of them linked the below item and I thought Argos were cashing in with their prepper desk!

81270826-E5D9-45AC-B042-D4AB5C5F38ED.jpeg

Fitz.

Attachments

• 81270826-E5D9-45AC-B042-D4AB5C5F38ED.jpeg
    81270826-E5D9-45AC-B042-D4AB5C5F38ED.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 209
Hi

Well, I thought I'd come back and revist this thread - and am sorry to see it getting a bit ugly in places. Please can we do our disagreement respectfully?

For folk who are wondering if this "social distancing" thing is all nonsense, this is an excellent resource : https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... ukclimbing
I haven't read all 24 pages of the thread, so apologies if it's been posted already.

My original view (p.6) still holds, I'm afraid. The elderly in particular are in a horrible situation - most get little enough social contact as it is, and it's what keeps them going and provides virtually all their quality of life. 12 weeks is a very long time.

As for the fallout - well, the markets tell a story, and that's before the US has really got going. It's all going to hurt for a long time.

Well, here's a question. If someone 70+ gets the bug, they have no logical need to self-isolate after recovering. Is that right? My buddy who I visited yesterday has just phoned me to say he has a temperature and cold symptoms. He is 70. Did his 12 week isolation just turn into a 14 day isolation (if indeed it turns out he has Covid 19)?

Deadeye":1b4s1tt3 said:
.....12 weeks is a very long time.

I take your point. But, eternity is even longer.

I was going to be a bit gung-ho and keep going down to my gym. The time I go down, there is no-one there. I'd wear gloves etc. I asked my doctor chum for his opinion.

I'm not now going down to my gym.

I have a periodic B12 jab every three months. The next one is next week. I cancelled it. Partly because they've got better things to do with their resources down the surgery. Partly because it isn't critical. But mainly because of what my doctor chum told me.

MikeG.":2c5nxtd1 said:
Well, here's a question. If someone 70+ gets the bug, they have no logical need to self-isolate after recovering. Is that right? My buddy who I visited yesterday has just phoned me to say he has a temperature and cold symptoms. He is 70. Did his 12 week isolation just turn into a 14 day isolation (if indeed it turns out he has Covid 19)?

That's my impression. But there has been talk about getting it twice, I think, albeit very very rare.

RogerS":1yjxk4co said:
But there has been talk about getting it twice, I think, albeit very very rare.
Have you seen reliable reports of that?
The only comments I have seen were that it is not clear whether those poor sods really caught it again, or whether their "all clear" the first time was a false negative. It would be nice to think catching it twice is rare or never happens but I haven't seen anything definitive either way. There is so much BS around that it is hard to sift out the real truth.

Just4Fun":1wtz5cx0 said:
RogerS":1wtz5cx0 said:
But there has been talk about getting it twice, I think, albeit very very rare.
Have you seen reliable reports of that?
The only comments I have seen were that it is not clear whether those poor sods really caught it again, or whether their "all clear" the first time was a false negative. It would be nice to think catching it twice is rare or never happens but I haven't seen anything definitive either way. There is so much BS around that it is hard to sift out the real truth.

Not at all. As I said 'talk'.

Trainee neophyte":3nhjp2ek said:
Have I become the new Jacob?

There will never be anyone quite like Jacob, he has a monopoly on irritating behaviour but you're getting there pretty quickly. :lol:

RogerS":3f55nm4q said:
Deadeye":3f55nm4q said:

I was going to be a bit gung-ho and keep going down to my gym. The time I go down, there is no-one there. I'd wear gloves etc. I asked my doctor chum for his opinion.

I have a periodic B12 jab every three months. The next one is next week. I cancelled it. Partly because they've got better things to do with their resources down the surgery. Partly because it isn't critical. But mainly because of what my doctor chum told me.

I had been a bit gung-ho and tried to keep getting the benefit of the gym that I pay for each month. I am 40 not 70 but by their nature gyms are sweaty germy places, frequented by many and there is a limit to how careful an individual can be. Pure gym have increased their cleaning routine, but I am not particularly reassured by this when I see chewing gum on at least 2 of the machines that has been there for months. that means that somebody must fail to notice it many times a day x many weeks. the people that washed their hands regularly before are probably doing it a bit more now, but I don't believe that those who never bothered before will suddenly start.

I hate running with a passion, but I think now is probably the time to give it a go again. even a youtube yoga video may be something but I think that the time has come to abandon the gym for a bit.

The gym my partner attends has been closed until further notice due to the difficulty of keeping equipment clean.

I am not one for sports or exercise but I do go for a brisk walk of a couple of miles every day. I see no reason to stop this since I do not come into contact with anyone. With other activities being restricted at the weekends I plan on getting out for more countryside walks as well, again these are not going to put me at risk nor anyone else.

Undecided what to do about shopping and food supplies at the moment however.

Just walked the dog around our local high street - quite surprised to see so may people out and about, even people sat in cafes. I wonder if the govt advice/ strong advice/ very strong advice isn't quite cutting through. Also a bit surprised to see businesses on social media trying to tempt people to come in - 'we need your support to keep going etc'.
All a bit too vague.

marcros":pmjhomv1 said:
RogerS":pmjhomv1 said:
Deadeye":pmjhomv1 said:

I had been a bit gung-ho and tried to keep getting the benefit of the gym that I pay for each month. I am 40 not 70 but by their nature gyms are sweaty germy places, frequented by many and there is a limit to how careful an individual can be. Pure gym have increased their cleaning routine, but I am not particularly reassured by this when I see chewing gum on at least 2 of the machines that has been there for months. that means that somebody must fail to notice it many times a day x many weeks. the people that washed their hands regularly before are probably doing it a bit more now, but I don't believe that those who never bothered before will suddenly start.

I hate running with a passion, but I think now is probably the time to give it a go again. even a youtube yoga video may be something but I think that the time has come to abandon the gym for a bit.

Sweaty is something my gym definitely isn't. It's in a very old ex- paint works. No heating. On a really cold day, you can see the steam on my breath! Chances are there will be little in the air. Some on the weights and machines but disposable gloves will sort that out. The frustrating thing is that I'd just about got back to where I used to be lifting weight-wise (25kg in each hand Inclined Bench Press) but that will all fritter away for the moment.

Like you I hate running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back