Quantcast

cooking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
If I put a 12 pound turkey in a fan assisted oven at 180C does anyone know how long it will take to die?

Rorschach

Agent Provocateur
Reaction score
marcros":3de9btij said:
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/cooking-turkey-safely/
Makes a change for them to have a sensible internal temp that will result in reasonably moist meat. Not so long ago they were advocating temps that would make shoe leather seem tender and mosty.

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
NHS agrees with Jamie Oliver’s method which I’ve found to be good. It’ll be about 3hrs 10mins for a 12lb bird. The bit I think that makes loads of difference is to rest the bird before serving. Time it to be ready a good hour before you want to eat. When it’s done take it out the oven and cover it in foil and a few tea towels and just leave it be. Jamie advocates upto 2hrs but I’ve found it looses a bit to much temperature.

Fitz.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
Cook for near four hours, rest for an hour and then chuck in the bin!
If turkey was remotely nice, why don't we eat it all year round, as it is very cheap meat.
Tomorrow I will be mainly eating pigs in blankets and the all Brussels and parsnips no one else will touch.

Jacob

Established Member
Reaction score
phil.p":2l3fqwvw said:
Fitzroy":2l3fqwvw said:
... NHS agrees with Jamie Oliver’s method ...
Having spent months in hospital, I wouldn't take any advice on food from the NHS. :lol:
Would have been contracted out as part of the relentless NHS sell-off. Not NHS's fault.
I had same experience, even the porridge was inedible. Luckily only a few days!
PS good tip about pulling turkey feathers off first - they don't half get stuck between your teeth.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacob":h2zsxvvl said:
Would have been contracted out as part of the relentless NHS sell-off. Not NHS's fault.
Give it a rest (like the turkey).................. just for today.............

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to eat my home made sage and onion stuffing and also honey glased parsnips and turnips which replace sprouts, I'm not a sprout man. :ho2

--Tom--

Established Member
Reaction score
New oven and the turkey was it’s maiden cook. It managed to get a 13lb turkey cooked in 90mins. Caught me by surprise as was expecting it to take about 2 1/2 hours, so it got a 2 hour rest while the rest of the dinner was made!
Was delicious though

Phil Pascoe

occasional purveyor of blunt tools.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck with eating turkey for the next fortnight. :D

edit - he whose wife has decided to cook a 4.6kg goose, a duck and a 3kg piece of pork shoulder .......................................... for five of us. :D

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an 1800g duck to myself and that seems like overkill. I'm enjoying cooking it, though whether or not I shall ever have the appetite to eat it is another matter.

Jacob

Established Member
Reaction score
doctor Bob":25zvecws said:
Jacob":25zvecws said:
Yes why don't you. Didn't have turkey had gammon instead. No political connotations intended. :deer

John Brown

Established Member
Reaction score
doctor Bob":367bvc8n said:
Jacob":367bvc8n said:
Says the man who couldn't resist a dig in Jacob's totally apolitical web site advice thread.

Latest posts