Gas cooker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niall Church

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got a gas cooker,that when reaching correct temperature,the oven burner automatically goes out,and then comes on again when temperature falls?
I know it's not a fault with the appliance, I just never heard of them before,nd wondered how ppl found them?
My present gas cooker doesn't do this!

I thought they all did, back in the day they had a pilot light to reignite now it's electric, saves a lot of gas. I once rented a flat where turning off the gas stove pilots cured the damp problem in the kitchen (don't know how we didn't gas ourselves) but you had to keep an eye on the oven as it often went out part way through cooking, at least if it did the gas shut off.

I thought they all did, back in the day they had a pilot light to reignite now it's electric, saves a lot of gas. I once rented a flat where turning off the gas stove pilots cured the damp problem in the kitchen (don't know how we didn't gas ourselves) but you had to keep an eye on the oven as it often went out part way through cooking, at least if it did the gas shut off.
I know gas boilers for central heating do,but,gas cookers?

Gas cookers by design will shut down to BY PASS rate once the set temperature has been reached .the bypass is built into the oven stat . As the temp falls again the bellows in the thermostat open allowing more gas to flow then of course the oven burner flame increases . If the bypass was blocked then upon reaching temp the burner would go out completely and when the temp falls unlit gas would would escape from the burner . Most ovens also have a ffd ( flame failiure device ) ive not heard of any that actualy turn themselves off completely then reignite when the temp falls but as ive been out of the trade for a while but i guess its possible .

Gas cookers by design will shut down to BY PASS rate once the set temperature has been reached .the bypass is built into the oven stat . As the temp falls again the bellows in the thermostat open allowing more gas to flow then of course the oven burner flame increases . If the bypass was blocked then upon reaching temp the burner would go out completely and when the temp falls unlit gas would would escape from the burner . Most ovens also have a ffd ( flame failiure device ) ive not heard of any that actualy turn themselves off completely then reignite when the temp falls but as ive been out of the trade for a while but i guess its possible .
Well,it's a hotpoint hdm67goc2cb/uk and it definitely says in the manual that oven burner goes out when temp is reached and then reignites when temp drops!

Well,it's a hotpoint hdm67goc2cb/uk and it definitely says in the manual that oven burner goes out when temp is reached and then reignites when temp drops!
Im guessing its some sort of energy saving feature due to eu carp , im assuming its a fairly new appliance ( or new build house ) can,t imagine the saving is that great over the time it takes to cook an average roast . 👍👍

Edit - from what i can actually read of the description its A rated so its just about saving a bit of gas . But im not sure the benifit of this if the catalytic cleaning feature is then used ..

Last edited:
Im guessing its some sort of energy saving feature due to eu carp , im assuming its a fairly new appliance ( or new build house ) can,t imagine the saving is that great over the time it takes to cook an average roast . 👍👍

Edit - from what i can actually read of the description its A rated so its just about saving a bit of gas . But im not sure the benifit of this if the catalytic cleaning feature is then used ..
Yes,it is an energy saving feature,but,as you point out,how energy saving is it,and are all gas cookers like this now?

I doubt they are atm but they probably will be at some point . But like any new technology the existing appliances will still be around years/decades from now . Interesting thread and another one of those days you learn something you didnt expect . 👍👍

Apparently a pilot light will consume ~14,400 BTU per day.

At 3414 BTU per kwh, consumption is ~4kwh.

A kwh of gas costs ~7p - so about 30p per day. About £100pa.

This probably works for a central heating boiler where a demand may be placed upon it to fire up anytime 24x7 depending on external temperatures and heating requirement.

For a gas oven it is probably a gross overstatement as it will probably be switched off 23 hours a day - a pilot light would only be required if it was in "cooking" mode.

This probably works for a central heating boiler where a demand may be placed upon it to fire up anytime 24x7 depending on external temperatures and heating requirement.

For a gas oven it is probably a gross overstatement as it will probably be switched off 23 hours a day - a pilot light would only be required if it was in "cooking" mode.
The most you'll likely have an oven on per day is2hrs, maybe, I don't get the energy savings from this feature,kinda freaks me the flame going out as you cook food in the oven!

My biggest bugbears with modern gas cookers is twofold, first that they now need electricity to work, the old ones didn't, we could still cook in a power cut, and the second is that the numbers on the oven control knobs don't correspond to gas mark numbers, (well they don't on our present AEG cooker).

This one , which is going back,by the way, has a separate ignition system, to my last one! Last one I only had to turn the knob and it would ignite the hob or oven,now there's a separate ignition button!

Many many years while doing my c/ o / guilds we were tasked with working out the consumtion of a gas refrigerator for a year . Far too long back to recall the figures but seam to recall it was less than £1 , just shows how much ghe cost of gas has risen over the last 35-40 years.

If you want to save energy then buy one of those 15 in 1 Ninja's . They do not replace the main oven but for a lot of cooking they are great, no warmup and shorter cooking times. Our main oven is a NEF and can take 12 minutes to reach temperature and in that time the Ninja can cook some products.

Does sound odd that the gas burner goes out completely, normaly a gas appliance will modulate the burner because if it goes out completely then depending on the insulation the temperature will begin to fall and you play catchup.

I think a lot of these so called energy savings are little more than gimmicks that add to not only the overall cost of the appliance but to the cost of spares . Its also likely to create false call outs as most folk are used to how regular cooker ovens and would see this as a fault ..

Back