Issue with Triton Planer - Circuit Breaker Tripping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good video

I am running out of basic replies so maybe others with more knowledge of motors may be able to help further.

Have you changed the brushes you mentioned yet as it looks as if they are at the belt end of the motor and with the spark nearby they could be the problem.

I changed the brushes and blades; now I've reassembled it all. In a little while, I'll try to operate it with another extension cord. Maybe this could be the issue.

If the start switch operates like a NVR switch, ie it latches on, then the switch may not be holding in or its relay is not latching closed.
So there will be power at the switch terminals on the input, but not coming out of it if its a built in relay/latching switch. As it may be arcing or spiking or grounding ro earth, hence causing breaker to trip.

If power is coming from switch when pressed in, then there may be a remote relay, if a remote relay, you would need to trace the wiring from switch to the relay, then test on the output side of relay. It may show power for a short moment then no power, in which case that's likely the fault.
As it may be arcing or spiking or grounding ro earth, hence causing breaker to trip.
If that's all OK then see next post.

Last edited:
You could try disconnecting the output from the on switch. Then press switch, if the switch is faulty, then it will trip the breaker.
If not, reconnect, and trace switch output wiring to next item and disconnect that and try again, you could keep doing till breaker trips then that next item is your fault area.

You could try disconnecting the output from the on switch. Then press switch, if the switch is faulty, then it will trip the breaker.
If not, reconnect, and trace switch output wiring to next item and disconnect that and try again, you could keep doing till breaker trips then that next item is your fault area.

Yu could try disconnecting the output from the on switch. Then press switch, if the switch is faulty, then it will trip the breaker.
Hi, if I understand correctly, I should disconnect the power wires from the switch and try exclusion to determine which wire might be faulty. I get it, but I admit my ignorance in electrical matters; if I disconnect the wires from the switch, the planer won't turn on anymore because the wires won't be connected. I tried to check with a tester if there's any broken wire, but so far, all the visible wires seem intact. I'm losing hope; I can't find a shop here in Leicester that can fix these tools.

Yes the planer won't turn on. But testing this way will check what causes the breaker to trip at each step.

Any electrician would be able to test and trace what is causing the fault. Then you may be able to change the faulty part yourself.

Back