Issue with Triton Planer - Circuit Breaker Tripping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco Giglio

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I turn to you in the hope of getting help to solve a problem I've recently encountered with my Triton planer. Lately, I've noticed that the machine doesn't start correctly. Specifically, it seems to initiate for a brief moment, but immediately after, it trips the circuit breaker in my home.
It's important to emphasize that during these attempts, no other appliances such as the washing machine, dryer, or other tools were in operation that could overload the circuit. Interestingly, when I used my previous Titan thickness planer, I never experienced such issues. The circuit breaker never tripped, and it worked continuously.
I wonder if any of you have had a similar problem with the Triton, or if you have any suggestions on what could be causing this malfunction. I've already checked the electrical connections, and they seem to be in order.
Thanks to anyone who can provide guidance or advice to help resolve this annoying issue.
Thank you very much!

Check the earth wire connection to the chassis is tight and has a good connection.

Check the earth wire connection to the chassis is tight and has a good connection.
Hi, this problem started last Friday, but sometimes it would turn on, and after 2/3 minutes, it would trip the circuit breaker in my house. On Monday, I disassembled my Triton planer, and I saw that the blades needed replacement, and one of them was also misaligned with the line. While waiting for the new blades, I thoroughly cleaned the entire machine. On Wednesday, the new blades arrived, I installed them, double-checked that I had everything set up properly, and reassembled the planer. However, when I try to turn it on, it makes a small ticking sound and trips the circuit breaker. At this point, I'm thinking it could be the carbon brushes.

I assume when cleaning it you would have turned the barrel and would have noticed if there was any resistance or blockage. I would also suspect the brushes and they are usually easy to check if you can get access to the motor. Does the motor run if the belt is removed?

Can you tell us the value of the breaker that is tripping e.g. B32, B16 ...

I assume when cleaning it you would have turned the barrel and would have noticed if there was any resistance or blockage. I would also suspect the brushes and they are usually easy to check if you can get access to the motor. Does the motor run if the belt is removed?

Hi, honestly, I didn't check the switch number because I didn't have any problems until Saturday. From an inspection apart from the blades to be changed I didn't notice anything else. The brushes should arrive today

As above does the motor power up and run when the drive belt removed?
Sorry, let me get this straight, should I remove the timing belt and try to see if the engine starts? For now I have noticed that with the engine off the rollers that accompany the wood do not turn. When I changed the blades I tried to see if the blade holder roller was jammed, but it turns perfectly. Today I'll try to remove the timing belt and try, if the engine starts what does it mean? I need to change the belt. Is it a more serious problem?

Imo if the motor works not connected to anything it simply proves the motor works not under load and there should be something else that's tight stalling the motor/blowing the fuse.
I don't have a Triton so can only visualise. Others may know the machine and be able to advise better

Imo, se il motore funziona senza essere collegato a nulla, dimostra semplicemente che il motore non funziona sotto carico e dovrebbe esserci qualcos'altro che sta bloccando il motore/bruciando il fusibile.
Non ho un Triton quindi posso solo visualizzare. Altri potrebbero conoscere la macchina ed essere in grado di consigliarti meglio
Grazie, questo è un passo avanti nella ricerca del problema con la mia pialla, ma se il motore non funziona penso di essere all'inizio e ancora non capisco quale sia il problema. Come accennato, i rulli che accompagnano il legno in entrata e in uscita non girano a motore spento, mentre le lame girano a motore spento. Quando collego la mia pialla alla presa di corrente, all'accensione noto una piccola scintilla e di conseguenza lo scollegamento del magnetotermico di casa mia. Queste sono le uniche cose che ho notato

update, timing belt removed, I turn on the planer but it still turns off the power, serious problem right?

Sounds like a motor issue, are you just pluging the machine directly into a socket or an extension lead ? Does the motor turn easily or is it jamed ?

The other issue is that you say it is tripping the circuit breaker in the house, is this protective device an RCD ? If it is then you have two issues, one is a fault to earth in your motor but also an issue with your electrical instalation in that it should be tripping a local protective device in your shed / garage / workshop and not one at the house supply.

Are you running of an extension lead? If so, try plugging direct to socket, or if your shed is off an extension lead, try changing the extension lead.
If shed is hardwired, then the commutator may need a clean or light sand, if the old brushes have been arcing.
Unfortunately I wouldn't know what's next if the above doesn't work. Maybe asking a local electrician to check things out, motor and shed electrics.

Best of luck.

Sounds like a motor issue, are you just pluging the machine directly into a socket or an extension lead ? Does the motor turn easily or is it jamed ?

The other issue is that you say it is tripping the circuit breaker in the house, is this protective device an RCD ? If it is then you have two issues, one is a fault to earth in your motor but also an issue with your electrical instalation in that it should be tripping a local protective device in your shed / garage / workshop and not one at the house supply.
I plug my machine into an extension cord, but I've also tried directly, but it will still be the current. Today I did the test as another user told me to see what happens without the belt, the counter still skips. I don't know if it's a power problem, as already said until last Saturday it worked perfectly

If current was the issue then the fuse in your plug would blow but I suspect you have an RCD on the main supply to your workshop and no local distribution board in the workshop with downstream protection and is why the RCD drops out in your house. This RCD device trips when there is a 30 mA difference between the current flowing to the load via the live and the current returning from the load via the neutral which indicates that there is current flow to earth.

If the motor turns freely with no belt then it should power up without issues, one reason could be that the motor has got damp, is that a possibility as that could cause an insulation issue and trip an RCD ?

Se il problema fosse la corrente, il fusibile nella presa si brucerebbe, ma sospetto che tu abbia un RCD sull'alimentazione principale della tua officina e nessun quadro di distribuzione locale nell'officina con protezione a valle ed è per questo che l'RCD si interrompe in casa tua. Questo dispositivo RCD scatta quando c'è una differenza di 30 mA tra la corrente che fluisce al carico attraverso la linea diretta e la corrente che ritorna dal carico attraverso il neutro, il che indica che c'è flusso di corrente verso terra.

Se il motore gira liberamente senza cinghia, dovrebbe accendersi senza problemi, uno dei motivi potrebbe essere che il motore si è umido, è possibile che ciò possa causare un problema di isolamento e far scattare un RCD?
Ciao, fino alla settimana scorsa tutto funzionava perfettamente e all'improvviso ho iniziato a riscontrare questo problema. Nel mio garage non ho un impianto elettrico dedicato, quindi mi collego con una prolunga di casa mia. Di solito, quando utilizzo la sega a nastro insieme all'aspiratore o alla levigatrice Triton, la corrente non interviene. Anche quando ho 4-5 macchine in funzione contemporaneamente per lavori diversi, la potenza non crea problemi. Tuttavia, recentemente, quando uso la piallatrice e spengo le altre macchine, la corrente salta. Questo non è mai successo fino alla settimana scorsa.
Ho paura che possa essere un problema con il motore della pialla, anche se so che il motore dovrebbe funzionare senza cinghia. Non riesco a verificare se il motore funziona perché quando provo ad accenderlo scatta immediatamente l'interruttore.
Ho considerato che potrebbe essere un problema con l'interruttore di casa. Avete qualche suggerimento su come posso risolvere questo problema senza dover spendere una cifra considerevole? Ho cercato preventivi e i costi proposti superano le 600 sterline, il che mi sembra un investimento significativo per un hobby. Grazie mille per il tuo aiuto.

Are you able to have replies in English as I need to paste your comments to google translate and its a bit of a bother

Have you checked the wiring in the plug perhaps a loose wire or one wire touching another?

Are you able to have replies in English as I need to paste your comments to google translate and its a bit of a bother
I'm sorry, but I write in English, I can't understand why I read to you in Italian, ok I'll rephrase the question
Hello, until last week everything was working perfectly, and suddenly I started experiencing this issue. In my garage, I don't have a dedicated electrical system, so I connect with an extension cord from my house. Usually, when I use the bandsaw along with the dust extractor or the Triton sander, the power doesn't trip. Even when I have 4-5 machines running simultaneously for various jobs, the power doesn't cause any problems. However, recently, when I use the planer and turn off the other machines, the power trips. This never happened until last week.
I'm concerned that it might be a problem with the planer's motor, even though I know the motor should work without the belt. I can't verify if the motor is running because when I try to turn it on, the switch immediately trips.
I've considered that it could be an issue with the home switch. Do you have any suggestions on how I can resolve this without having to spend a substantial amount? I've sought quotes, and the proposed costs exceed 600 pounds, which seems like a significant investment for a hobby. Thank you very much for your help.

Strange as sometimes your message can be in either language

Have you checked the wiring in the plug perhaps a loose wire or one wire touching another?

Does the motor turn freely by hand with NO power connected and no belt connected

Strano come a volte il tuo messaggio può essere in entrambe le lingue

Hai controllato il cablaggio nella spina, forse c'è un filo allentato o un filo che tocca un altro?

Il motore gira liberamente a mano senza alimentazione collegata e senza cinghia collegata?

Yes, the motor without the belt runs smoothly by hand, I just tested it for safety. One thing I noticed is that when the belt is attached and I try to start the planer, there's a small spark on the belt side, and the power trips. However, without the belt, when the switch is on, there is no spark, but the power still trips.

Attachments

• pialla.mp4
    7.1 MB
Last edited:
Back