Ideal boiler central heating setting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does one measure boiler temperature output - i.e. how to determine just how hot is the water leaving the boiler (on a typical condensing boiler and how to check it)?

How does one measure boiler temperature output - i.e. how to determine just how hot is the water leaving the boiler (on a typical condensing boiler and how to check it)?
Infrared thermometer on the hot water outlet from the boiler or in your case the hot water store / At the tap outlet ( which will be a lower temperature) due to length of the pipe run - a thermometer placed into a cup will give you the temperature at the tap . All is subject to the correct set up of your boiler/ hot water store not to mention limescale , and incorrect pipe sizes most important is the gas supply to the boiler. There is no simple approach to this post as per my comments above there are many factors that can affect the h/water temperature.

Edit - getting your post mixed up with a similar post - so above advice is if you have a het water storage system, if it’s a combi boiler then you can measure the temperature as it leaves the boiler -just I d the 15 mm pipe that gets hot when any hot tap is opened. The rest of the advice- pipe sizes/ gas supply pipe size etc applies to either type of boiler/system - sorry for any confusion.

The easiest way is to have two clip on dial thermometers so you have one on boiler output (flow) and one on the return to the boiler (return). If you are able to control the boiler output independently for both central heating and domestic hot water, then adjust your boiler output to around 65 and observe your temperature readings (leave 15 minutes to stabilise). The key parameter is the return temperature to the boiler which you should try to keep below 55C to achieve maximum condensation and thus get best efficiency.

It is an iterative process and takes time but also depends on outside temperatures, your house heat loss, your radiator type and size plus what temperature you are comfortable with. The aim is to be comfortable with the lowest possible boiler output (flow temperature).

Here an example of the clip on thermometer - just so you know what to look for (I am not recommending this specific item or this seller) Clip on thermometer

PS: You could save by just buying one thermometer and fixing it on the return to the boiler and follow the procedure as described to keep it below 55C

Back