Fuel costs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I intend to add a an adjustable on/off timer into the power feed cable To turn the boiler foo every night at 2100 and on each morning at 0700 until winter arrives. More details to follow

I'd be concerned about the amp rating on the timer ! Not sure what the boiler draws ?

Well I'm not convinced. In terms of foot pounds, or whatever the metric equivalent is, the long way and the shorter way up the hill are equal. Also, there is some formula to do with raising the temperature of a certain amount of water by one degree, which also is not, to my knowledge, time dependent.

That's a good point and I think when you look at it that way you're absolutely right.

But ! you do have to account for efficiency aswell. It could be the case that you lose more heat into the atmosphere when you've got a bigger flame going ??

So a smaller flame will take longer but could waste less heat ?

Last edited:
I remember using outside toilets when I was young. A small wooden shed with a hole in the seat, newspapers and a pail . In winter, it was freezing, as the cold wind whistled between your legs. In summer, the smell and flies!!! I'm very happy to be soft.
When I was very young ours was known (to me at least) as the shedhouse. I think I misheard.

That's a good point and I think when you look at it that way you're absolutely right.

But ! you do have to account for efficiency aswell. It could be the case that you lose more heat into the atmosphere when you've got a bigger flame going ??

So a smaller flame will take longer but could waste less heat ?
I think what really matters is the efficiency of the boiler not which system you use, I was horrified to find my modern condensing boiler does not always run in full condensing mode depending on how hot the required water output is, don't pretend to understand why but turning it down just a little cut the amount of steam I could see at the flue almost to nothing which I may be kidding myself means it is now condensing properly, latent heat being significant I'm hoping to use less gas.

I was horrified to find my modern condensing boiler does not always run in full condensing mode
Yes it is another case of they can but only when everything is right, they still make the super efficiency claims for the boilers but it is dependant on the system design and setup. The return water temperature has to be around 55°C and the supply to the radiators no more than 70°C which is lower than with older non condensing boilers, therefore you require larger radiators to deliver the same heat output and get the return temperature to the required point so the boiler can run in condensing mode. It is interesting to note that with a combi boiler in warm weather where it is only supplying hot water that it cannot condense because there is no return flow, so all the super efficiency claims go out the window wheras the systems with H/W cylinders will be running in condensing mode.

They waste it on social media and living in make believe worlds because the real world is to hard to face.

It is not that long ago that people had outside toilets and no running water, running hotwater came many decades later and initially only for the very wealthy so has all this so called progress actually backfired and made us all soft.
Yeah and a life expectancy of 35 miserable years crapping on a bucket in a shed.

They waste it on social media and living in make believe worlds because the real world is to hard to face.

It is not that long ago that people had outside toilets and no running water, running hotwater came many decades later and initially only for the very wealthy so has all this so called progress actually backfired and made us all soft.

We still haven't got running hot water lol . Not unless the fires on

I point out to my daughter (me 68, she's 27) when she accuses me of being a dinosaur that her great grandmother (whom she just remembers) never had a bathroom, an indoor toilet, a mobile phone, a passport or a bank account. She had never owned a house, driven a motor vehicle or used a calculator, let alone a computer.

Yeah and a life expectancy of 35 miserable years
Not everyone, but given a shorter lifespan then perhaps that is why they achieved so much because they had no time to waste. Take a person today, deduct how much time putting on the false face, time wasted in talking about doing something rather than just doing it and time wasted on social media, then the later years where you are lucky to craap in a bucket and not where you stand then the difference in useful life is much closer.

Not everyone, but given a shorter lifespan then perhaps that is why they achieved so much because they had no time to waste. Take a person today, deduct how much time putting on the false face, time wasted in talking about doing something rather than just doing it and time wasted on social media, then the later years where you are lucky to craap in a bucket and not where you stand then the difference in useful life is much closer.
I think that the time spent by a ypung person today on social media, putting on a false face etc is probably directly comparable to the time wasted by an older person complaining about young people using social media and putting on a false face so I guess it cancels that out.

....And reading forums! :ROFLMAO:

Every time you use a forum like this, or do a google search, you are using a datacentre somewhere. These use about 1% of all global power generation, or over 200 Terawatt hours. Half of that - so 100TWh - is cryptocurrency mining. But much more is consumed by the data transmission network, or around 350TWh.

There are staggering statistics here Data Centres and Data Transmission Networks – Analysis - IEA

Back