Coffee 'Taple'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for this piece - yeah deffo kitsch but if the buyer wanted it then the maker has delivered well. Like some of the previous contributors I'd not find space in my house, but I love seeing the wide variety of creations that come from wood.

I'm not as young as I used to be, but I rather like it.
Is there a more expensive option with a chrome tape in? ;)

I like the table!
When I used to admin a gaming pc clan site for quite popular servers we used to get a few people trying to join but had a strictly no kids policy. It was quite hard to police so we came up with the idea of a little test picture.
You had to explain the relationship between a pencil and a cassette tape.
Not old enought to remember walkmans and pencil rewinding you got shown the door. :D

Tapes I remember, but Minidisc was what got my attention in my teens :-D I thought they were great but they didn't go anywhere since MP3 was just around the corner.

People used to bemoan mp3s 'killing the industry' but the reality is that digital saved the industry twice: CDs (everyone bought their albums again), and then they purchased mp3s/subscriptions.

As one of the first to respond saying I wouldn't give it house room though I did say I love it and it would be a great talking point I feel that was very fair comment Adam and feel a bit guilty now that I posted at all.
I don't think you had a single negative comment regarding your standard of work and really hope you keep posting pics of your work, just because we all have different tastes doesn't mean we don't appreciate the work and skill it took to make them.

If my wife had reacted in a similar way to some of my comments about the stuff she likes, and vice versa we would have been divorced years ago. :)

I think that it's a clever idea, marvellously executed and it makes me grin.

I'm afraid though that I'm also in the "not in my house" category, although that is of course a bit irrelevant being simply a comment based on aesthetic taste. What might be of interest though is that anybody making such things commercially could take the number of such comments as being an indicator of how much of a seller such a piece of furniture might be. MikeG's dilemma is a fair one: as a piece of craftsmanship it is likely to get a more or less unanimous thumbs up on here. The aesthetic reaction is, however, likely to be more of a mixed bag.

And here's another take on it (which I sincerely hope does not offend you): if I had the skill to make that, it would be part of a Damien Hirst style p**s take masquerading as art. In other words I'd be trying to flog it to the Tate for a few hundred thou. That said, it's a lot more genuinely artistic than anything DH has ever produced!

Edit: Slam an axe into the middle of it, give it the title of "Streaming" and you'd break through the million quid barrier.

Last edited:
I appreciate, Adam, that you are going through your back catalogue with some of these posts, and so you may not have work-in-progress type photos. However, because of the uniqueness of your output, yours really are the sorts of projects which we'd all really love to see from beginning to end. I'm boring the pants off everyone with a simple kitchen dresser build at the moment....50 or 60 photos of the work to date.....and I'm sure that if you could do a similar photo heavy write up of your projects you'd get a very positive reaction. I think everyone who has said "not in my house" would still have loved to have seen the build, and the design process, even if they didn't love the end result.

Please take this as a gentle nudge to take your camera out into your workshop with you, every time you go out there.

Last edited:
To put a different spin on the "not in my house" comment ...

Years ago (1990s?) I worked at an auction in Monaco where Karl Lagerfeld was selling a load of his used furniture that I think was best described as "esoteric". I commented to someone from the auction company that I would not want any of it in my house. He said that is true for almost everyone and the only real option is to buy enough pieces in that style to furnish a complete room, but place a single piece in a room with more "normal" pieces and it would look odd.

It sounds as if the client has this type of environment, so the piece should be viewed in that context.

Back