Sending furniture to the USA

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter-harrison

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone any experience of sending things to the USA? I have been asked to make a coffee table, from reclaimed meranti and containing two printers type cases. I have an idea that there are phytosanitary rules about exporting to the US- any info about this or the general process gratefully received.
Thanks!

You might find that your local chamber of commerce can give advice, I think they do things like certificates of origin so may know the rules. Worth a phone call.

There is some useful advice here:Importing Wood to USA: Regulations, Process, and More .Several years ago a friend asked if I would help him to crate up some quite valuable machine parts for shipment to the USA and it was quite apparent that the only wood it made sense to use would be of visibly American origin.The penalties for introducing material with some form of disease or infestation were severe and I concluded that they wouldn't have let anything out that would contravene the requirements.Things may have changed a little and a close study of the regulations is the least that should be done.

There is some useful advice here:Importing Wood to USA: Regulations, Process, and More .Several years ago a friend asked if I would help him to crate up some quite valuable machine parts for shipment to the USA and it was quite apparent that the only wood it made sense to use would be of visibly American origin.The penalties for introducing material with some form of disease or infestation were severe and I concluded that they wouldn't have let anything out that would contravene the requirements.Things may have changed a little and a close study of the regulations is the least that should be done.
Thanks!

Back