CNC Software

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezman

Established Member
Reaction score
As I'm starting to get to grips with my Proverxl4030 CNC machine, I wondered what other CNC users are using software wise.

For my woodwork projects I've always used skethchup and ideally I would have had something similar, or even output from sketchup. I had a quick play with Easel, and then had a go with Carveco maker. I had a free 3 month trial for this and thats coming to an end.

So what software are you using / recommending for CNC?

I’ve been trying my hand at cnc’ing with the help of two mates both of whom use cnc’s to make kitchens, they use V Carve & recommended the free trial version VCarve Pro Free Trial | Vectric
I down loaded it a while ago & have picked it up surprisingly quickly, I’ve only done very simple things so far like the router tops for plates in the photo below, I’ve also tried letter carving which came out really well. All in all I’m impressed with V Carve as it seems straightforward.

D675C5F3-2494-453E-9142-55C51B24B9C5.jpeg

I use a combination of Fusion 360 for more complex 3d stuff and V Carve pro ( because my machine is over 600mm square)for inlays making parts and more simple components etc.
For machine control I have UCCNC using an ethernet controller, its similar to mach 3 but still actively supported, cheaper and arguably better.

V carve is very good at v carving (obviously), artistic stuff using vectors and is very efficient at toolpaths. It has no active modelling ability, it can import models and will machine them very well but you can`t really model things directly in the software (beyond basic editing) for modelling you will need Aspire which is an expensive upgrade.
I have taken to modelling in fusion and then importing to v carve for machining if I need to a full 3d design.

Depends what you want to make really. I suggest a free download of v carve to have a look and also try fusion hobby licence, no harm in looking.

How did you find the Carveco stuff? I always think it looks good but I invested in vcarve so don`t want to pay to try it.

Ollie

Last edited:
I use TurboCad for all my design work For my CNC I save designs (2D only) in DXF format which I then feed into CamBam for g-code writing. CamBam is a bit clunky, it has a rudimentary design capability but I never use it. If I need to modify I go back to TC which l'm very familiar with.
Brian

Last edited:
Like Brian, I also use CamBam but not the 'design' capability. I've been using CorelDRAW! for a very long time and all my 2D design work is done in that, 3D is done in SketcvhUp 2014 but I don't output from that for CNC work.

I use Vectric Aspire as I work more in 2 1/2D - 3D designing for stone cutting and engineering parts and wood, I trained in Autocad and Inventor up to 3D but I find Vectric Aspire can do all I want and I don't have all the extra cost with yearly maintenance upgrades as I did with Autocad.

I use Freecad as I like the cost and it includes a post processor for LinuxCNC.Not the easiest piece of software I have ever used,but the capabilities are huge.For simple text engraving I have used an app called Text to CNC and for the slightly more elaborate V carve text I have used the excellent and free F-engrave.

I'm not much of a fan of the CAD aspects of Vectric software but it is pretty good at generating toolpaths.

If you have V-Carve,what gains are you seeking?The only thing I have found lacking in V-Carve is a surfacing cut,but this can be worked around by specifying a large,shallow pocket that just overlaps the edge of the work area.

How did you find the Carveco stuff? I always think it looks good but I invested in vcarve so don`t want to pay to try it.

Ollie
Thanks for all the responses, its good to see what others are using.

I started using Carveco as I got a 3 month free trial when I bought the prover4030xl. It's OK, but i find drawing in it more laborious than using sketch up. Maybe I'm being a bit picky. I'm also a total noob. & i probably need to invest some time in learning the software better. I've got a few days off over easter, so may spend some time on it then.

The trial is up in 2 weeks, so am looking to decide whether I continue on a subscription basis, or pay for something like Vectric. I'm tending towards Carveco at the minute.

I use a combination of Fusion 360 and V-Carve, I wanna try using the CAM functionality of Fusion 360 but compared to V-Carve it's quite daunting.
The cam is really good in Fusion 360 and is not as scary as it looks.
It lets you preview so you can see if you have gone wrong anywhere.
However, if you are using the free version they have limited it's speed on rapids and maybe other limitations as well.

Ollie

Thanks for all the responses, its good to see what others are using.

I started using Carveco as I got a 3 month free trial when I bought the prover4030xl. It's OK, but i find drawing in it more laborious than using sketch up. Maybe I'm being a bit picky. I'm also a total noob. & i probably need to invest some time in learning the software better. I've got a few days off over easter, so may spend some time on it then.

The trial is up in 2 weeks, so am looking to decide whether I continue on a subscription basis, or pay for something like Vectric. I'm tending towards Carveco at the minute.

If you download the Vcarve demo it will let you do everything in the program except post a gcode. So you could do a very clear comparison by doing the same project in both. Which is something I have not seen anyone do really.

Ollie

I use Inkscape for the design work (2D) then send the SVG file to the JSCut website which produces the G-code. I have to edit the code to insert the M03 & M05, but that's all. I then use GBRL to control the CNC router.

Although it is aimed at the printing market, I find Inkscape can produce very accurate 2D designs for CNC and there are lots of tutorials on YouTube.

I have tried to get to grips with CAD, - 2D, 3D, solids, parametric etc, but for the majority of jobs I find it easier to use the drawing board.

I'm a bit in awe of that,I find Inkscape the least intuitive piece of software I have ever tried.Yet I have seen a youtube video of a fellow using it to generate Gcode directly.

I don't see quite as many posts of the various CNC forums these days from people saying that you don't need software and a capable person with a calculator can create a program (their spelling,which might tell you something) using just a print and a calculator.Which might be true if you only cut pieces such as exhaust flanges or other flat items with the occasional rounded corner.I never had that much enthusiasm for calculating I and J references regardless of the error potential.Selecting the shape directly from the CAD file and letting the computer do the work is just so much faster.Persuading some of the troglodytes to refer directly to the 3D model with no print involved causes a great deal of anguish once you get a little way west of the Greenwich meridian.

I'm in the same position - just starting on my CNC journey. Vectric and Carveco seem to be the two main contenders but I prefer to buy it outright rather than pay a continual subscription, so will likely go with V Carve Desktop for £330 and I'll upgrade if and when necessary.

As I'm starting to get to grips with my Proverxl4030 CNC machine, I wondered what other CNC users are using software wise.

For my woodwork projects I've always used skethchup and ideally I would have had something similar, or even output from sketchup. I had a quick play with Easel, and then had a go with Carveco maker. I had a free 3 month trial for this and thats coming to an end.

So what software are you using / recommending for CNC?
I have had a 6090 Chinese machine for the last 10 months and what a learning curve. Freecad is my Cad Software of choice. I was well experienced in Autocad for some years up to around 2012 and 2D software is VERY different to 3D. Freecad gives an ability to design parts and also has a combined CAM feature to generate GCode for the CNC. However, it is a LONG road to master. I have found YouTube videos by MangoJelly Solutions to be the best source of FreeCad 3D CAD learning and techniques. The videos are very descriptive and each will generally explain one or a set of related techniques well and demonstrated well.
My aim is to build a wooden model of a Monmouthshire Wagon at 1/12 scale using plans by well known model builder John Thompson. Currently I have a prototype wheel consisting of spokes, hub felloes (rim pieces), all constructed on my CNC (I have a 4th axis for which I had to hand write some of my own GCode). All parts made so far were originally drawn in Autocad 2D (or NanoCad version 5) and transferred to FreeCad to update to 3D. A lot of the 3D pieces were drawn using techniques and workflows from MangoJelly.
In my mind there is nothing wrong with FreeCad, the main problem exists between the chair and the keyboard. You need to commit to FreeCad and spend time with good instructional videos and have a project to work on to apply the learning to. It just needs time and commitment

I completely agree.There is a big mental hurdle that seems to prevent some people grasping the difference between drawing on three planes and actually creating a 3D object to work from.The great benefit of a parametric 3D modeller really gets appreciated when you realise one of the features isn't exactly right and all you need to do is go back and change a number or two to see the part rearrange itself to what it should have been all along-no erasing and re-drawing involved.The toolpath gets updated too.

I've found Joko Engineering and sliptonic to be producers of helpful videos also.

I'm a bit in awe of that,I find Inkscape the least intuitive piece of software I have ever tried.
Me too, I have tried it lots of times and have on occasion produce what I needed but each time I hate it. I find Gimp to be a bit better.
I also agree with you about paramentric being very useful.

Ollie

Back