CNC Software

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use designspark mechanical (free) for designing, meshcam for generating the gcode, and linuxcnc for controlling the machine.

I have had a 6090 Chinese machine for the last 10 months and what a learning curve. Freecad is my Cad Software of choice. I was well experienced in Autocad for some years up to around 2012 and 2D software is VERY different to 3D. Freecad gives an ability to design parts and also has a combined CAM feature to generate GCode for the CNC. However, it is a LONG road to master. I have found YouTube videos by MangoJelly Solutions to be the best source of FreeCad 3D CAD learning and techniques. The videos are very descriptive and each will generally explain one or a set of related techniques well and demonstrated well.
My aim is to build a wooden model of a Monmouthshire Wagon at 1/12 scale using plans by well known model builder John Thompson. Currently I have a prototype wheel consisting of spokes, hub felloes (rim pieces), all constructed on my CNC (I have a 4th axis for which I had to hand write some of my own GCode). All parts made so far were originally drawn in Autocad 2D (or NanoCad version 5) and transferred to FreeCad to update to 3D. A lot of the 3D pieces were drawn using techniques and workflows from MangoJelly.
In my mind there is nothing wrong with FreeCad, the main problem exists between the chair and the keyboard. You need to commit to FreeCad and spend time with good instructional videos and have a project to work on to apply the learning to. It just needs time and commitment
FreeCAD does have a reputation for being rather difficult. When I first used Solidworks (having come from - mostly 2D - AutoCAD, and some 3D - Sketchup) it was quite a learning curve. However, I understand even experienced Solidworks users find FreeCAD frustrating, so there must be other issues (as Solidworks is parametric too).

vcarve for me then I use UC CNC instead of Mach III to drive the machine, mach 3 was ok but limited to using parallel ports where as I find uccnc easier, more efficient and uses usb

Cheers

Steve

I've realised no matter how clever the software - It still boils down to the person (me) programming it correctly - ha like a complete doughnut I went straight through the end of a clamp with my bit yesterday - scared the life out of me. In fairness the aluminium clamp cut quite well

Completely my fault as I had set the G code via V carve and then imported to UCCNC to start the program from bottom left X0 and Y0 - and had parked the head out the way a lot further up - but had only specified a safe clearance above the workpiece at 5mm.... as soon as it started moving & spindle was going it crashed into it before I could realise.

Lesson learned. 😄

I've realised no matter how clever the software - It still boils down to the person (me) programming it correctly - ha like a complete doughnut I went straight through the end of a clamp with my bit yesterday - scared the life out of me. In fairness the aluminium clamp cut quite well

Completely my fault as I had set the G code via V carve and then imported to UCCNC to start the program from bottom left X0 and Y0 - and had parked the head out the way a lot further up - but had only specified a safe clearance above the workpiece at 5mm.... as soon as it started moving & spindle was going it crashed into it before I could realise.

Lesson learned. 😄
Where was Z0 then? I always specify it as top surface of the billet.
Brian

Where was Z0 then? I always specify it as top surface of the billet.
Brian
Hi Brian, that was another error I made - My Z0 in V Carve programming is now always top of material being cut - but I originally used the touch off tool to Z0 in UCCNC to machine bed & then quickly realised why my bit plunged 19mm further than it should...

My Z0 in this case was top of material surface - but I didn't realise it would pass a clamp on the way back to X & Y 0

Everyday is a school day :)

Cheers, Nick

Last edited:
I'm quite sure that the only people who have never had an incident with a CNC machine are those who have never pressed "start".
I'm a little surprised that Nick had his machine go to X0,Y0 without lifting to the Z home height first.Is there an option in the post processor variables to make such a thing happen?I realise that Vcarve doesn't have 3D modelling capability and would not be able to include clamps or fixtures in it's simulation.One of the more basic 3d packages might permit the job plus hardware to be modelled and then perhaps Camotics (a free simulation programme) would show the outcome if you imported the whole bundle of part+hardware as an .stl model on which the simulation could run.

I know the more comprehensive CAM packages will allow every body in the work area to be included,but they come with a very,very large rice tag.As do the simulation packages Vericut or Predator,while Camotics is free and a bit slow.On the other hand,a few minutes of watching the screen is usually less time than it takes to do the repairs and mount a new blank.

I'm quite sure that the only people who have never had an incident with a CNC machine are those who have never pressed "start".
Indeed.

My "favourite" incident was just clipping the edge of a pan head M6 bolt I'd used to hold down the work with a solid carbide spiral upcut bit. The clockwise rotation of the cutter and glancing blow was just enough to unscrew the bolt a few mm above the cutting surface. Just enough mm to have it right in the path when the cutter travel took it back, straight through the bolt. On that day I learned that carbide is quite brittle. And it goes a long way (across your garage, in bits) at 20k rpm :oops:

As I'm starting to get to grips with my Proverxl4030 CNC machine, I wondered what other CNC users are using software wise.

For my woodwork projects I've always used skethchup and ideally I would have had something similar, or even output from sketchup. I had a quick play with Easel, and then had a go with Carveco maker. I had a free 3 month trial for this and thats coming to an end.

So what software are you using / recommending for CNC?
Techsoft 2D Design, CamBam, and Mach3

i went with v carve and dont regret it, other people familiar with fusion 360 tell me they prefer that, i think each has its own strengths and weaknesses, as others have suggested try downloading trial copies of software and experiment.

Indeed.

My "favourite" incident was just clipping the edge of a pan head M6 bolt I'd used to hold down the work with a solid carbide spiral upcut bit. The clockwise rotation of the cutter and glancing blow was just enough to unscrew the bolt a few mm above the cutting surface. Just enough mm to have it right in the path when the cutter travel took it back, straight through the bolt. On that day I learned that carbide is quite brittle. And it goes a long way (across your garage, in bits) at 20k rpm :oops:
i feel your pain, maybe im psychic but when i set my cnc up i hung some plexiglass between the pc and machine, cutting oak one day a piece 3 inches round detached and was flung with a huge bang straight through 8mm plexi, made me jump, but the pc was unharmed

Back