Chip extractor 100mm - quiet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akirk

Established Member
Reaction score
Having upgraded the dust extractor to a Festool (superb) I am now on the hunt for an alternative to the 100mm chip extractor...

I have a lumberjack BDE 1100 (c.f. below) which does the job, but has a weird noise issue...
It doesn't appear to be high decibels - it reads at under 80 on a db meter and the rating is 77db - however it seems to have a high pitched noise that goes through you and is only partially mitigated with ear protectors...

Is there an alternative which is nice and quiet, humming along in the background type noise - bear in mind that I have limited space - no wall space and this currently is about the maximum size I want...

The alternative (which may be simpler) is to get an adaptor for the festool hose onto 100mm for the drum sander and then just use the thicknesser outside as I do now...

all ideas welcomed!

iu

Is the high pitched squeal from the motor itself or the hose? Ridged hoses can cause a squeal at certain air speeds. Also if there's a small hole or gap anywhere the air can whistle through it at some unpleasant pitches. Try disconnecting the hose and see if it still makes the noise. If the noise goes then you can play with different hose types/size to eliminate the noise.

I know on my shop vac it make a horrible noise when using one of my hoses!

+1 on hose noise to check first.
If still there without hose then check the bin seals tight.
How old is it, maybe time to check and grease bearings if they're not a sealed for life bearing.

Bin is sealed tight and same noise with or without hose…

Bearings seem unlikely as though it is a few years old it has hardly been used…

Video for a better description

Having had some experience with your machine😉 I think the Festool will work well as the airflow path up over the cylinder is well defined, ie, it's not drawing in any spurious air. Charnwood do a good range of adaptors.
Brian

Last edited:
When did you last clean filter media and renew the bags.

When did you last clean filter media and renew the bags.
I will check but from memory the filter is fairly clean - as mentioned, not used much - and no bag just straight into the metal bin…

Having had some experience with your machine😉 I think the Festool will work well as the airflow path up over the cylinder is well defined, ie, it's not drawing in any spurious air. Charlwood do a good range of adaptors.
Brian
That might be the way forward as it will also mean that I can get rid of the lumberjack - giving me more space…

There are two filters, one pleated cartridge and a second paper bag that goes over the cartridge held in with elastic band
1709593135438.png
1709593167210.png

I have the same unit from another ‘manufacturer’ and it’s also horrendously noisy/whiny as you say, and not that impressive performance wise.

I’d just assumed it was a cheap motor/design… and I just use a small festool vac instead whenever practical to do so.

Get yourself to an axminster store and ask to listen to a nvd750 - they are made by numatic in axy colours. Or in numatic red from machine mart. 1 and 2 motor versions made. Pricy but durable and I thought the noise to be not bad, esp if you put hoses on the air outlet to damp it.
PS, that can be a source of the high pitched whistle. If there is an obvious outlet for used air, unscrew whatever cover is over that to keep your fingers out. Air whistles over sharp edges so anything in the air path is suspect.

I have an older single motor Camvac with a 2” inlet (later ones are 4”).
These are quite compact and not too noisy especially if you fit silencer(s) on the air outlet(s).
Mine copes fine with a “lunchbox style” thicknesser.

I had a drum type, never found it all that great, either for extraction or noise. Now have the top bag type, forget the make but £100 second hand on e bay, similar style to below. It takes up a lot more room for sure, but much better extraction and pretty quiet, certainly can't compete with the demonic howl from my kitty planer!I

Attachments

• 61JFE04nFoL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg
    61JFE04nFoL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 0
thank you all for suggestions - I have an adaptor coming so that I can try the shop vac on the sander - if that works it will be the simplest / quietest / least space consuming option... otherwise I might look at the top bag types and possibly whether I can build a housing for it behind the shed...

A thicknesser at full tilt is seriously loud, and sawing timber is also loud, as such you will be wearing headphones for 99% of the time so the added noise of a saw/PT and extractor shouldn't matter.

Camvac is the only thing Ive seen where you can 'muffle' the sound

Last edited:
however it seems to have a high pitched noise that goes through you and is only partially mitigated with ear protectors...
Camvac has been mentioned a couple of times, so I thought I'd add a warning.

One of the motors in my twin-motor Camvac begins emitting a high-pitched noise after running under load for about a minute.
Filters are clean and nothing is blocked.
There is no squeal when it's running without a load.

I do use the noise reducing hose, but it is still not possible to use it without ear protection.
The second motor, never exhibits abnormal sounds.

In other words, depending on your luck, Camvac may still produce a squeal even in muffled configuration.

Camvac has been mentioned a couple of times, so I thought I'd add a warning.

One of the motors in my twin-motor Camvac begins emitting a high-pitched noise after running under load for about a minute.
Filters are clean and nothing is blocked.
There is no squeal when it's running without a load.

I do use the noise reducing hose, but it is still not possible to use it without ear protection.
The second motor, never exhibits abnormal sounds.

In other words, depending on your luck, Camvac may still produce a squeal even in muffled configuration.
Have you spoken to record power, they are helpful.

I think I have my route forward - adapter arrived today to allow me to put the festool hose onto the drum sander - tried a few planks and seems to work…

Which means that I can simply get rid of the lumberjack vacuum (coming to a sales page near you soon!) - less noise and more space in the workshop!

Back